• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you block low ball buyers?

235 posts in this topic

YOU GUYS ARE MISSING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Selling is an art, man! Holy mess doesn't anyone know this???

what about $800?

I don't quite understand how this is helping your point. You said you like to low ball sometimes, even if you're willing to pay full price.

$800 and $900 are reasonable offers, not low balls. $900 I might take, $800 I'd work with, because those are in the ball park of what the book is actually worth.

The whole point of bartering is meeting in the middle at a price both parties can live with. Starting at such an extreme below value will generally lead to a price that only benefits the buyer, so why go back and forth and waste both our time?

You, I believe, are the minority of 'I'll low ball ya, but then I'll pay what you were asking'.

I just want to know the lowest you would take to suggest a scenario for you, granted that I am one of those buyers that always start out with a low ball. If you dont just dismiss guys like me, you can make a good sale.

Let's say you would accept min of $750 for the book.

Dude offers $350

You counter with 900

He counters with $500

You drop to $825

He counters with $750

BAM. You've made a sale.

I've done this and it works.

You have NOTHING to lose by haggling.

You have a sale to lose if you just dismiss guys like me.

Right?

And I don't think I'm in a small minority cause quite often, my lowball is accepted, so I've learned to start with it....

I feel like I'm bartering right now.

I don't need to sell the book immediately. I politely declined his offer. I'll let it sit until it sells or I get, IMO, a reasonable offer.

This is good practice then. Just keep it in mind.

I find the whole process fun.

I just want to know the lowest you would take to suggest a scenario for you, granted that I am one of those buyers that always start out with a low ball. If you dont just dismiss guys like me, you can make a good sale.

Dude offers $350

You counter with 900

He counters with $500

You drop to $825

He counters with $750

BAM. You've made a sale.

Right?

bam, its on eBay one day later being flipped for 1200.

I feel like I'm bartering right now.

I don't need to sell the book immediately. I politely declined his offer. I'll let it sit until it sells or I get, IMO, a reasonable offer.

On ebay you get 3 offers. The offeror knows that. It's a game. A game which happens to be free to play.

If your bottom dollar is say 850 then counter his 375 with 950. See what he does next. Maybe he offers 400 and you know he's not for real. Maybe he offers 550 and shows he's willing to move. When I'm negotiating and the seller won't even counter I won't bother to make my next move either.

The counter offer is there for a reason. And it takes 20 seconds to send an counter offer back to the guy.

what about $800?

You, I believe, are the minority of 'I'll low ball ya, but then I'll pay what you were asking'.

I'm going to have to agree with Kav here. I've offerred 50% of an asking price because I've had a seller accept that. But then i'll come up significantly. Why guess whether the buyer will come up when you can spend the 20 seconds to counter and see if he actually does.

Dude offers $350

You counter with 900

He counters with $500

You drop to $825

He counters with $750

BAM. You've made a sale.

Right?

And how does that effect you in any way? You accepted a price you considered reasonable. If the buyer thinks he can get more, then more power to him.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained is my main point.

OP didn't even counteroffer thus closing the door at that point.

It could have been Kav, testing a lo ball but willing to pay $950....

Cynicism and selling not good partners!!!!!!!

Be optimistic it costs NOTHING.

why would I bother haggling on a book that routinely sells for $1000 when the buyer offers $300?

Simple cost benefit analysis. The cost of haggling could be 5 minutes. The benefit could be that he jumps up his offer to a number you're happy with.

Dude offers $350

You counter with 900

He counters with $500

You drop to $825

He counters with $750

BAM. You've made a sale.

Right?

he's a bad salesperson (shrug)

he left money on the table.

And how does that effect you in any way? You accepted a price you considered reasonable. If the buyer thinks he can get more, then more power to him.