• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you block low ball buyers?

235 posts in this topic

YOU NEVER COUNTERED ANY OF THIS BUYER'S OFFERS!

Think of it like a game-see how high you can get him to go. Make it fun.

I seriously think you are selling yourself short here....

I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything-I really think you can do better as a seller.

I myself have incredible success as a seller, so I'm not just talking out my spoon.

I want to pass on my skills, is all. I like sharing.

tumblr_m4k88qBB1A1r61fqlo1_400.gif

-slym

Sorry....flashing back to Nam...

I'm ok now

I mean, you could have sent links to completed auctions at near your price point to counter his arguments....selling is talking people into stuff. A good seller makes the buyer like and trust him. Joking works good. Establishing rapport, etc. There are techniques you can use to get a buyer to buy. You don't just throw up your hands and say 'he's unreasonable-not worth my time'.

You have your methods, we have ours. If you think yours is more successful, then more power to you. But don't yell at us because we don't do exactly what you do, Bub.

-slym

Auto decline works great.

If you book aint selling in a month or two you are not getting offers either your price is to high or the book just isn't in demand.

Low Ballers are everywhere. Some take great pleasure in trying to get a deal on any book. Its become an art for some.

Set you decline amounts for what you think is an acceptable offer to negotiate with.

Or just keep complaining.

Oh yeah - the one I complained about was when I forgot to set the auto-decline program. People are human after all.

;)

-slym

I usually list a little higher than GPA on eBay, but it also depends on what I paid for the book and what I want to get back. I price it higher, because as someone said, you never know what the buyer will pay.

I have actually had someone hit a BIN on a $75 item that I had the "Best Offer" option on.

That was weird, but I wasn't complaining!

-slym

I usually list a little higher than GPA on eBay, but it also depends on what I paid for the book and what I want to get back. I price it higher, because as someone said, you never know what the buyer will pay.

I have actually had someone hit a BIN on a $75 item that I had the "Best Offer" option on.

That was weird, but I wasn't complaining!

-slym

I've done it when I don't wanna risk losing out.......usually on lots

The last time I was offered that much of a price cut on a book, was from a 12 year old WHOWASSUPEREXCITEDABOUTEVERYTHING. So I'm wary.

Well I'm 55 and I do it....just sayin....

WHAT????????????????

I'd have bet the farm that you were 22-23 tops

There is no way in hell the person behind that keyboard is 55.

Are you willing to be the proverbial snowball?

(HINT - you'd end up melting)

;)

-slym

I just don't understand the emotional reactions of some sellers. someone lowballs me I see what I can do with them. Getting huffy and dismissing the 'insulting' offer just seems foolish. I've gotten lowball offers, negotiated, got a fair price and repeat business.

Guess I'm just 'immature'...

I don't think it so much that - I think it's the trouble that can come from someone who throws out lowball bids, as obnoxious or unrealistic expectations of sales are seldom the only problems those kinds of buyers bring to the table. I have no interest in building a client base with people who don't understand the concept of FMV, or even worse: they think that I don't understand it either. Having customers who's primary intentions are ripping you off are not really the kind of customers I want, regardless of what I could actually negotiate with them.

And like a lot of people here - selling books is my hobby. I'm not interested in monkeying around with someone who honestly thinks they can obtain a book at 75% off the value it's listed. Lowball offers like 40% off get a decent counter - but ridiculous ones get blocked.

Yep. I've rarely dealt with a lowballer where there weren't other issues to contend with.

The last time I was offered that much of a price cut on a book, was from a 12 year old WHOWASSUPEREXCITEDABOUTEVERYTHING. So I'm wary.

Well I'm 55 and I do it....just sayin....

WHAT????????????????

I'd have bet the farm that you were 22-23 tops

There is no way in hell the person behind that keyboard is 55.

Are you willing to be the proverbial snowball?

(HINT - you'd end up melting)

;)

-slym

Plus dude would have lost his pot farm

I just had an ebay user message me an offer of $350 on a $1000 book. I'm good to work with reasonable offers, but... Do you guys block bidders like this?

He has low feedback, and I honestly feel like I'd end up dealing with lots of ebay drama from someone like that if they were to end up 'buying' one of my books.

Thoughts?

If there's one thing I dislike more than lowball buyers is highball sellers. E-Bay is now mostly BIN's with aggressive pricing. I say let the lowball buyers

even out the playing field. Maybe your 1000 pricetag is high ?

Exactly. I really hate it when a seller prices something 10x (literally sometime) what it's worth and has a Make Offer option with the auction. What offer would NOT be a low ball when you have that.

I just had an ebay user message me an offer of $350 on a $1000 book. I'm good to work with reasonable offers, but... Do you guys block bidders like this?

He has low feedback, and I honestly feel like I'd end up dealing with lots of ebay drama from someone like that if they were to end up 'buying' one of my books.

Thoughts?

If there's one thing I dislike more than lowball buyers is highball sellers. E-Bay is now mostly BIN's with aggressive pricing. I say let the lowball buyers

even out the playing field. Maybe your 1000 pricetag is high ?

Exactly. I really hate it when a seller prices something 10x (literally sometime) what it's worth and has a Make Offer option with the auction. What offer would NOT be a low ball when you have that.

Yup

Best example of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDER-MAN-ORIGINAL-ART-VINNY-ROMITA-SIGNED-BY-JOHN-ROMITA-SR-JR-STAN-LEE-/370691265517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564eebd3ed

Someone can offer me a penny and I'll see what I can do with em.....

I'll give you 2c for your Action #1 I keep hearing about.

(:

I'll counter with $160,000....

This was a trap! Dr. Neff already told me you donated that book to him.

(:

-slym (cue Admiral Ackbar meme)

Someone can offer me a penny and I'll see what I can do with em.....

I'll give you 2c for your Action #1 I keep hearing about.

(:

I'll counter with $160,000....

This was a trap! Dr. Neff already told me you donated that book to him.

(:

-slym (cue Admiral Ackbar meme)

:pullhair:

ADMIRAL SNACKBAR SIR!!!! IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

I hate when a seller puts OBO on a listing, but when I give an offer, they counter offer with an amount $.99 less than their asking price.

Really, bro?

OBO but you offer $1 less???

Who does that? Why put OBO if youre not willing to haggle?

I hate when a seller puts OBO on a listing, but when I give an offer, they counter offer with an amount $.99 less than their asking price.

Really, bro?

Maybe they thought you were lowballing them?

I've had stuff listed at, say $500, and get an offer for $50. I'll then sometimes counter with a $499 offer.... but all along willing to accept $400 or so. I do it, because the dude was being a dink with the initial offer, so I'm a dink right back.

Perhaps that's why?

But if you make a fair offer to begin with then yes, I agree with you.

Really, bro?

This drives me utterly nuts. I lose it. Makes me wanna buy something cheap from dude and leave neg. Repeatedly.