• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where does Avengers 55 go from here?

10 posts in this topic

We all know the A55 hype from last summer and the huge spike in prices. Numbers have come down a little but it seems to have settled in a quiet but still lofty perch.

Where does it go from here?

Thanks. Not a dealer, just a collector but I picked up a few high grade and low grade copies years before the hype. I always felt like Ultron was the Avenger's best bad guy and was always amazed at how undervalued it was. It didn't help that no one quite understood which was his first appearance between 55 and 54. Overstreet didn't list his first appearance and cgc was vague as well.

That being said, does anyone think Ultron has staying power as a long term hold. Or am I floating by myself on Ultron island? hm

It will spike again when the trailer comes out, especially if they do a good job on Ultron. The two things holding it back a bit are that the book is pretty common, and it kind of shares first app. with #54. (IMO I lean toward #54 is as the first appearance.) Still all that being said I am actually surprised the issue is as "cheap" as it is.

It will spike again when the trailer comes out, especially if they do a good job on Ultron. The two things holding it back a bit are that the book is pretty common, and it kind of shares first app. with #54. (IMO I lean toward #54 is as the first appearance.) Still all that being said I am actually surprised the issue is as "cheap" as it is.

I'm with you. #54 is the first appearance. Not that anyone cares at this point. The only thing we don't get in #54 is Ultron's name.

I think this book will have staying power, though I'm not sure it will go up much more. Ultron is a great villain and his first appearance was probably undervalued previously. It's always been a bit weird to me that major appearances by Batman villains command premiums, but villains in most other titles are mostly ignored.

How have the numbers on a book like Ironman #55 been? Thanos appeared in the Avengers movie and that book spiked...has it dropped any, leveled off? I'd say both AV55 and IM55 would be comparable as far as villains go and similar in the price slides, up or down. The book will probably jump once the first trailer hits, again right before the movie. The real question is how much of the price increase do the books maintain after their movie release.

The only difference I can see is that Thanos is rumored to appear in GOTG, and AV3 so that may give IM55 a bit more staying power. IMHO of course.

The difference is that there was an interest in IM 55 and Thanos prior to the movie buzz, Ultron not so much. Also the introduction to Thanos in IM 55 kicks off the whole Starlin cosmic saga which has been a fan favorite for forty years. Ultron may be a cool robot villain, and had some recent re-exposure in the comics, but I can't see sustained interest in the character's first appearance, especially a debatable one without a cover appearance.

The difference is that there was an interest in IM 55 and Thanos prior to the movie buzz, Ultron not so much. Also the introduction to Thanos in IM 55 kicks off the whole Starlin cosmic saga which has been a fan favorite for forty years. Ultron may be a cool robot villain, and had some recent re-exposure in the comics, but I can't see sustained interest in the character's first appearance, especially a debatable one without a cover appearance.

Indeed. IM55 includes:

1st JimStarlin Iron Man

1st Thanos

1st Drax the Destroyer (GotG)

1st Blood Brothers

1st appearance of 4 new Eternals characters

Vs.

A55:

1st Ultron (full appearance)

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Some interesting feedback.

I tend to agree that Thanos has played a bigger role in the Marvel universe and the whole Cosmic storyline has huge potential as it's own fascinating universe for movies. What I don't know is how Marvel views Ultron. So far he has proven to be the Avengers biggest long term foe and Marvel has placed him in two important current story lines with Annihilation Conquest and Age of Ultron. I think I need to reRead both to see if Marvel is dropping clues.

So much also depends on how he is depicted in Avengers 2. If he is treated like the Mandarin than yeah the book will likely become stale. I just have a feeling that Whedon and Feige have something unique planned in A2 just not sure what it is yet.. hm