• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those who know DISNEY Comics: Question about a Scrooge OA page

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am not sure how to find out any info on this.

I posted this in the OA forum but got no responses. So I am trying it here.

I have an OA page, at the link given below.

I do not know if it is from a comic book or from a comic strip. Would any one know? If it is from a comic book, which comic book might that be?

I know that this might be difficult to figure out - I am just looking for any kind of direction/help. And I greatly appreciate it! :grin:

Link: Scrooge OA page

I don't claim to have any special knowledge about Disney, but it appears to be a one page gag. I am very comfortable saying it is a comic book page.

It looks like there is something written on the lower right part of the steps in the last panel, but I can't make it out. Is it a signature or some other information? Is there any other writing on the front or back?

Thanks for the post!

On the lower right is not writing but just some marks (like a bit of shading).

On the upper left, the word FILE appears in pencil - there was another word just above it but almost all of it was cut off by the piece being out of that corner.

A search in the INDUCKS for a one pager about hail which I assume is why he wears the armor at the end does not turn up any such one-pager. With that in mind, it's going to be tricky to find the origin of that page.

You can try other keywords if you'd like. I've tried a few but that page does not come up with the ones I've tried.

http://coa.inducks.org/comp.php

I searched for Hero / Character Scrooge and # of pages 1 which should limit the search enough that you won't get a ton of results. I couldn't recognize the artist's style to narrow it further.

Thank you, Scrooge, what great info. I did not even know about that website resource.

After some other tries, I tried the following search:

Pages = 1

Hero: Scrooge

Checked the box for: No other characters should appear

This search returned only two entries, and neither is the correct one!

So I don't know what to think. Is this website meant to be all-inclusive and thorough/complete (or close to it)??

Since you know so much more than I do, Scrooge, would you say this is from some comic book? Probably which decade?

It's hard to say exactly what this is... but this art appears to be on a folded sheet of paper, rather than on artist's board as would be for a published comic page. It's also prior to any letterer filling in the word balloons (for the radio).

It may be some sort of prelim, or a practice sheet?

It's awfully complete for a prelim or a storyboard illo. But it's weird that it's on folded paper. The corners being off would seem to indicate tape or pins in the corners at some point.

Thanks so much for your input.

The paper it is on is not "standard" opaque white paper. It's the transparent, see-through kind of paper (forgetting what it is called). It has some thickness to it, and, if one tried to crumple this kind of paper, it would make a sort of crinkling sound and would leave clear fold marks on it when unfolded.

Also, the size is large, larger than the standard OA pages one sees from BA/SA comics. I am not too familiar with the sizes of GA OA, so I thought it might fit the sizes one sees for GA OA. (I can post the measurements this evening).

If you could a larger image also would be great :)

The INDUCKS is THE place for this kind of information. Is it complete? Probably not but no better source exists and it really is comprehensive. If this was published in the U.S. It would be in the database ... BUT, we need to hit the right keyword(s) to bring it up.

I vaguely recall reading a joke page with Scrooge where he dons the suit of armour shown at the end.

This might be a rough in page or a prelim. Sounds like vellum paper, commonly used in drafting applications for reproductions or to put over something else and trace. Hard to say how this was used.

One other clue is the word balloons over the radio are square. When Gold Key took over for Dell they went to all square word balloons. This might limit your search to that era which was in the early sixties. Not sure how long it lasted but not too many months. I might be wrong on this as the square balloons could just illustrate the radio talk vs. duck talk!!

Good luck, tough one. Also, don't forget all the Dell and Gold Key Giants, they all had filler pages like this.

The artist looks to me to be Tony Strobl not, unfortunately, Carl Barks. I assume, as others do, that it's a one-page gag strip that appeared in a comic book. I would guess that it was in an issue of Uncle Scrooge comics because the gag doesn't play off of Scrooge's thriftiness, so it would only seem to fit in a book devoted to Scrooge.

The paper does appear to be odd for comic book OA.

Yes, I'd agree that it's Strobl. I searched Inducks for Strobl one pagers, but didn't see this one. I also searched for 'weather' 'hail' and 'armour' (both spellings) but couldn't find it.

The odd thing is that I'm pretty sure I've seen that gag, probably in an Australian comic in the late 60s or 70s.