• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men in 7th Grade Science

5 posts in this topic

With everyone's personal views kept out of it, I would like to inform everyone as to how this great hobby of ours has helped a group of 7th graders at an alternative middle school to learn about natural selection and Darwin's theories.

I've been teaching at an alternative school for the past 4 years now and always struggle with how to teach the required Florida standard of Evolution through Natural Selection to my students. However, a breakthrough came in the form of X-Men: First Class. Before the Christmas break this past year, I watched the film again and had an idea when Charles was hitting on the girl at the bar and discussing mutation.

I have been using X-Men comic books and X-Men films to help students who don't like reading or studying learn about Life Science. They are genuinely engaged in the discussions and performed well on the assessments.

Just thought I would share with you guys.