• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do in this PLOD situation?

55 posts in this topic

Because I'm feeling ornery, here's another question.

I buy Fantastic Four 155 from a dealer. Lets call him GlazingGob. The Glazing one has graded the book as a NM 9.4, so it sells for $30. I'm happy. I get it graded. It comes back a NM/M 9.8, which just sold for $690.

Do I have to give Mr. Gob the $660?

What you proposing above is pretty much exactly this scenario, only reversed. Just something to think about. I've got two restored books I bought from Ted Van Liew. Ted didn't know they were restored. Unfortunately, its just part of the game.

To me, it doesn't matter if I bought 15 books off a dealer at a reasonable price and 14 came back Gem Mint CGC 10.0 and only 1 came back restored. It would still be the dealers responsiblity for the 1 restored comic IMHO because it wasn't disclosed it was restored at time of purchase. Don't get me wrong. Maybe expecting a dealer to be responsible for every comic in his boxes is a bit much, but at least the dealer should be responsible for high grade and high value comics in his boxes and definitely the ones displayed on his wall, don't you think?

I wasn't going to mention the guy's name I bought the 2 restored books from because I didn't want to subject the guy to being bad mouthed by others, but he just happens to be the same person you bought your 2 restored books from and you don't feel he should be held responsible. Do I think he tried to intentionally sell me restored books as unrestored? No, not with what I know about him. His ebay feedback speaks for itself (100% positive with 1,500+ feedbacks). He did in fact contact me shortly after my thread back in September after the Big Apple show because he noticed the TOS #52 he sold me that I was talking about. Why would he do that if he had just knowingly sold me a book he new was restored? confused-smiley-013.gif Until proven otherwise I will give him the benefit of the doubt and others reading this thread should as well. He hasn't responded to my e-mail request for a refund, but he might not have read his e-mails in the past couple of days. Or maybe he seen the e-mail and just doesn't think he needs to respond and shouldn't be held responsible (opinions are split in here so maybe he shouldn't have to confused-smiley-013.gif). I just wanted and want a fair deal on books I bought thinking they were unrestored. I can only say I know what I would do if the situation was reversed and I was the seller.

Does that TOS#52 have a small gouge/tear in the middle of the back cover? I think I saw that book and passed on it at Chicago. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Any dealer who is giving a buyer a hard time with a refund or credit is basically losing a customer forever.

That's a very good point, Bob. Whether the dealer is "obligated" to refund the money or not, he must realize that if he does not make good on a reasonable request for a refund, the buyer won't be a customer anymore.

Any dealer who is giving a buyer a hard time with a refund or credit is basically losing a customer forever.

That's a very good point, Bob. Whether the dealer is "obligated" to refund the money or not, he must realize that if he does not make good on a reasonable request for a refund, the buyer won't be a customer anymore.

Doesn't anyone believe in treating people the way they want to be treated? Forget "obligation", isn't it the "right" thing to do?

Doesn't anyone believe in treating people the way they want to be treated? Forget "obligation", isn't it the "right" thing to do?

Yup, agreed. I've been known to offer to refund CGC fees on books that a buyer has been concerned about. Case in point, at a show recently, I had an FF #12 I had recently purchased. I checked it for resto, found none, but the book was interestingly not as wide as other FF #12s that I had. I was thinking it might've been trimmed even though the normal signs weren't there for it. Then I had a well known conservator check it briefly at the show and said it was clean, not trimmed. So I put it on my wall and it sold not long after. The newbie buyer took it to another dealer who saw the same problem I did and came back to me with that dealer to find out if I would do anything if the book came back trimmed. I gave him my business card and promised a complete refund including CGC costs if it came back restored. I don't always refund CGC costs, but in the case of a new collector, I wanted him to feel comfortable buying pricey books. It's good for me and good for the hobby and the $100 or so is worth it to my conscience and his piece of mind.

Does that TOS#52 have a small gouge/tear in the middle of the back cover? I think I saw that book and passed on it at Chicago. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope, it has a slight 1/4-1/3" tear on back cover near bottom of spine and there is a small 1/4" mark by the issue number on the front cover. When I was talking about it in another thread some people suggested it might be a rust mark from being up against another comic.

GOOD NEWS!!! Seller e-mailed me back (he just got caught up on e-mails after being at the NY show) and said he would refund the books and split the CGC fees. Ted VanLiew is a stand up dealer! 893applaud-thumb.gif I told him we had been discussing this in this forum and opinions were split as to dealers responsibility of restored books (especially slight color touch which is the case here). I said if he still felt comfortable with giving the refund to let me know, but I know he is NOT obligated although I like others think it is just good business. This has been a very educational experience for me. Thanks for all the feedback.

Nope, it has a slight 1/4-1/3" tear on back cover near bottom of spine and there is a small 1/4" mark by the issue number on the front cover. When I was talking about it in another thread some people suggested it might be a rust mark from being up against another comic.

GOOD NEWS!!! Seller e-mailed me back (he just got caught up on e-mails after being at the NY show) and said he would refund the books and split the CGC fees. Ted VanLiew is a stand up dealer! 893applaud-thumb.gif I told him we had been discussing this in this forum and opinions were split as to dealers responsibility of restored books (especially slight color touch which is the case here). I said if he still felt comfortable with giving the refund to let me know, but I know he is NOT obligated although I like others think it is just good business. This has been a very educational experience for me. Thanks for all the feedback.

Ted is a good dude. I bought several books from him in Chicago and chatted with him for about 20 minutes or more. He is one of my favorite dealers I've ever met.

I'm glad the book you bought wasn't the one I looked at in Chicago. I looked it over and didn't see any color touch and would have felt a little silly if I had missed it. blush.gif

That is a stand up thing for him to do. Does he have a website? It would be nice to see what else he has to sell.

www.superworld.com

FFB, that link doesnt work, it sends me to some place that says this domain name is for sale.

I fixed it. I was going from memory. Sorry man!

Seller e-mailed me back (he just got caught up on e-mails after being at the NY show) and said he would refund the books and split the CGC fees.

Damn, I'm good! acclaim.gif

Glad everything worked out for you, Spidey. Ted will always do the right thing. He's one of the few dealers that comes off as a "collector first". He genuinely loves the hobby.

One of the reasons I will always support him.