• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book Inkers - They really DO make a difference!

189 posts in this topic

No Meek inkers are definitely not mere tracers......it's hard work inking......

So let me get this straight.

Someone draws a picture in pencil and then this "inker" goes over their drawing in pen. How's this not tracing? :grin:

Inkers impart their particular style. Tom Palmer and Bob Layton's inks were easily identifiable, as was Terry Austin's.

Bob McLeod and Joseph Rubenstein were also distinct.

My point was some inkers did better with some artists than others.

Are there any pencilers who may also be their own inkers?

Besides indie comics...

SEAN PHILLIPS!! MICHAEL LARK!!!

Are there any pencilers who may also be their own inkers?

Besides indie comics...

Byrne inked his own stuff during a potion of his FF run. Bob Layton did as well. On his Conan run, Barry Smith did his own inks on occasion in the later issues, though it was primarily Sal Buscema or Dan Adkins who did finishes for him

lat year (i think) Jim Lee pencilled a Batman image and a few inkers had a go at finishing it in their own styles

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/15/travis-charest-frank-cho-ink-jim-lee-at-big-wow/

link

You can definitely see how each inker changes the feel of the pencils, e.g. Sayger makes the pencils his own and would probably affect the story attached to the page, making it darker.

Sayger's is my favourite out of those, colourist would probabily wonder what he had left to do though

Everyone realizes I referencing "Chasing Amy" right?

Just making sure no one was taking me seriously with the "tracer" comments.

:o

Anyone here who has actually inked-or even watched a pro ink-knows what I'm talking about. Inking is harder than penciling-much harder. Pencils can be a little wishy-washy-there's no margin for error on inks.

inking is alot harder, there are no erasers with ink

Anyone here who has actually inked-or even watched a pro ink-knows what I'm talking about. Inking is harder than penciling-much harder. Pencils can be a little wishy-washy-there's no margin for error on inks.

It takes way more skill, control, finesse....when I ink I often hold my breath during strokes.

[font:Book Antiqua]

I am not a fan of Dikto (except for his work in Spider-man)

but his art look a little bit worse when he do the Inks (imho).

[/font]

:P

His work on Rom was nicely enhanced by the inks of P. Craig Russell.

It takes way more skill, control, finesse....when I ink I often hold my breath during strokes.

haha, i do that too, i haven't got a steady hand at all, i get lightheaded at times

I ink the hardest part first-cause if I blow it no need to waste time with the rest of the panel-just get out the sticker paper and start over.

Inkers make a big difference on artists work, I personally think Joe Sinnott can make anyone look good.

Not on Starlin. Check out Marvel Feature #12 :eek:

He did fairly well with Byrne and Seinkewicz on FF in the 200-231 run