• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book Inkers - They really DO make a difference!

189 posts in this topic

I like Wally Wood but didn't like the way his inks overwhelmed penciler. I want Kirby to look like Kirby, not Wood.

Royer always did a great job with Kirby.

Mike was about as true to Kirby's pencils as can be. So true, that when he hears someone say they don't like his inks on Kirby art, he says, "Then they've never seen Kirby."

Only once did Mike ever change something Kirby penciled. He changed a panel making Big Barda slightly more feminine. Kirby told him, "Don't. Ever. Change. The. Faces. Again."

And he never did.

[font:Book Antiqua]

I like Wally Wood but didn't like the way his inks overwhelmed penciler. I want Kirby to look like Kirby, not Wood.

Royer always did a great job with Kirby.

Mike was about as true to Kirby's pencils as can be. So true, that when he hears someone say they don't like his inks on Kirby art, he says, "Then they've never seen Kirby."

Only once did Mike ever change something Kirby penciled. He changed a panel making Big Barda slightly more feminine. Kirby told him, "Don't. Ever. Change. The. Faces. Again."

And he never did.

"Kirby didn't want his pencils altered by Mike and pasted copies of his pencils over most of Big Barda's faces in this issue and inked them."

Source: whatifkirby.com [/font]

mm5_pg1_a_zps019f4a87.jpgmm5_pg1_m_zpsea14530d.jpg

No a blank page is definitely the most difficult. However, drawing with pencil takes less technical skill than inking. Only in the sense of the precision of hand movement required, not anatomy knowledge etc.

This is so wrong in so many ways. When faced with such brash reductionism, one cannot even begin to point out the flaws ...

Therefore, I will only :facepalm:

No a blank page is definitely the most difficult. However, drawing with pencil takes less technical skill than inking. Only in the sense of the precision of hand movement required, not anatomy knowledge etc.

This is so wrong in so many ways. When faced with such brash reductionism, one cannot even begin to point out the flaws ...

Well I'm an artist of 30 years so I'm not just whistling dixie. You can rapidly pencil. You can't rapidly ink.

Please see my sig-line:

I often hear about Jim Lee giving Scott Williams very rough pencils. Not saying Lee can't draw, just he trusts his inker sometimes, esp. if deadlines are rushing up and maybe Jim is behind a little. I don't know if it is true, but I have heard this more than once.

-slym

No Meek inkers are definitely not mere tracers......it's hard work inking......

So let me get this straight.

Someone draws a picture in pencil and then this "inker" goes over their drawing in pen. How's this not tracing? :grin:

I got what you were going for, Meek. Kav has obviously never seen "Chasing Amy."

-slym

No Meek inkers are definitely not mere tracers......it's hard work inking......

So let me get this straight.

Someone draws a picture in pencil and then this "inker" goes over their drawing in pen. How's this not tracing? :grin:

I got what you were going for, Meek. Kav has obviously never seen "Chasing Amy."

-slym

It's loaded up and ready to watch when I finish 'contraband'.

Well I'm an artist of 30 years so I'm not just whistling dixie. You can rapidly pencil. You can't rapidly ink.

Tell that to Vinnie Colletta ;)

Tell that to Vinnie Colletta ;)

Well played, sir

I prefer comics where all aspects of illustration are handled by one person. And I much prefer if that person is the writer as well.

Those are always the best. Can't think of any good examples right now though

I prefer comics where all aspects of illustration are handled by one person. And I much prefer if that person is the writer as well.

3713565-5243303625-23729.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Sin City / Frank Miller...[/font]

:headbang:

Chris Ware

Darwyn Cooke

Charles Burns

Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez

Daniel Clowes

Adrian Tomine

Art Spiegelman

Mike Mignola