• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monster Humor Magazine Identification Help

8 posts in this topic

I would appreciate any help you could give in identifying the following magazine.

It's a monster humor magazine - basically it was all pictures from old b&w horror and sci-fi movies from the 30's through the 60's with "funny" captions added. Very similar to the magazines Stan Lee did, but it's not any of his, already checked and they all pre-date this one anyway.

The size and paper quality remind me of Mad and Crazy, but I don't think it was put out by them because I don't remember their mascots in it, but I was pretty young so I could be wrong.

I believe the cover art was painted, the background color was red and featured the busts of 3 monsters, though I can't recall for certain which monsters (though I think one was Dracula has my mom had a real problem with it and was upset at my grandmother for getting it for me).

This was published in the mid- to late 70's.

Thanks for the help!

1286905.jpg

If this is it, the title is actually "Monster Magazine" and this is issue #2.

The first two issues have "Monster World" on the cover, but it's "Monster Magazine."

That cover isn't what I remember, but then again we're talking the memories of a 7-9 year old.

I tried doing an eBay search for "monster magazine" to see what else came up, but nothing that rang a bell.

This issue looks like it has interviews and articles. I don't remember my magazine having any of those, it was just photos with added captions.

When funny captions are added to unrelated photos, the approach is called "fumetti." (I'm not sure why.) That form of comic/satire was used heavily by former Mad comics/magazine editor Harvey Kurtzman in the early 1960s magazine Help!

Anyway, I poked around a bit and found For Monsters Only #5 (1969), an offshoot of the Mad-style magazine Cracked. This looks like it fits what you described ("... the cover art was painted, the background color was red and featured the busts of 3 monsters, though I can't recall for certain which monsters....though I think one was Dracula..."). I used the Monster Magazines blog to find this.

If this isn't it, then I suggest trying the link above and browsing the site. It's got a lot of monster-magazine categories and cover images. You could also email the blog's creator, Mike Scott, and see if he can help you.

146725.jpg.7418faaa5964c7446f07e944d945666a.jpg