• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2000th post - what was in that metal attache case @ National

46 posts in this topic

here are the randomly selected 13 books (one from each DC title represented) in my next CGC submission. i picked over the collection and narrowed it down to 150 HG DC's. then i reduced that to 90 beacuse it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get these graded. and then for the Con i grabbed one book from each title.

these are all original purchases from Sid's Luncheonette during 1963 and 1964 cloud9.gif no key's but some respectfully low numbers in certain runs (as i told Blazing Bob at the show - just some run-of-the-mill DC's).

1103056334425_Wonder_Woman_009.jpg

1101884506712_superman_001.jpg

1102480115732_national_006.jpg

1099385386258_national_005.jpg

1100253074585_national_004.jpg

1101600581655_national_003.jpg

1101782920136_national_002.jpg

1100269457625_national_001.jpg

1103029127888_myestery_in_space_006.jpg

1101479578486_flash_006.jpg

1097126082706_Sea_Devils_002.jpg

1096666720767_hawkman_001.jpg

1099514374393_national.jpg

893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif

It must be just about the coolest thing in the world to have your own personal pedigree. Those are all stunning.

That is what I love about this board, signing on in the morning and looking at scans of stuff that make your collection look like 893censored-thumb.gif. I hate you all! devil.gif

Fantastic books! It's nice to get a glimpse of books that (at least when slabbed) I could only afford to buy at a rate of about two per year wink.gif I'd take the Atom 2 and Aquaman 2...delicious copies thumbsup2.gif

And congratulations on reaching 2000 posts! Also, I note that I'm able to see the images you post wink.gif

here are the randomly selected 13 books (one from each DC title represented) in my next CGC submission. i picked over the collection and narrowed it down to 150 HG DC's. then i reduced that to 90 beacuse it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get these graded.

Thanks for narrowing it down juggle.gif thats some insane.gif stuff man. The people who understand the level of difficulty with respect to DC's and Marvels are hail.gif I'm sure. Pedigree or not, (hope this gets the nod one day) I think that the collecting public is just lucky to have quality books like this hit the marketplace.

Congrats on 2000 thumbsup2.gif

can you believe the QP on those books

That's the first thing I noticed...

Hey BB...did you pick out these copies specifically for the QP or was it random luck at the time you purchased them???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I asked Harry how he had stored all these books as a teenager, I was waiting for an answer like ......"Well, I never read them to begin with. I would transfer them immediately to a stainless steel lockbox that was located under my bed." You get the idea....

What he did say, was that he stored them STANDING UP, in piles, in a dresser drawer. (Did I get that right Harry?). I guess the compression of the tightly fitted books kept them flat....although I am amazed at the lack of edge wear.

893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif

It must be just about the coolest thing in the world to have your own personal pedigree. Those are all stunning.

That is what I love about this board, signing on in the morning and looking at scans of stuff that make your collection look like 893censored-thumb.gif. I hate you all! devil.gif

I respectfully agree! headbang.gif

can you believe the QP on those books

That's the first thing I noticed...

Hey BB...did you pick out these copies specifically for the QP or was it random luck at the time you purchased them???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brad got it right in his reply - i had no notion of saving these for posterity - i read them and then they went into cardboard (wine/beer/whatever) boxes back in the late 50's, to be pulled out and reread. and that's why the 50's books suffer from storage, lack of attention and a pre-teen mentality. probably around the early 60's i got to storing them barea$$ed standing up straight in fairly deep dresser drawers and that's where they stayed when i went into the service for 3 years.

when i got out in thanksgiving 1969 (35 frickin years ago) that's where i found them. i didn't put them into polybags (no boards) until mid seventies and then switched up to mylar and acid free backing boards in the early 80's.

so before they got into the good sh&t, they spent about 20 years at risk. i never picked a book up because it looked better than the rest. bascially, you're looking at the work of gentle fate 893whatthe.gif

in all those years, the only books that turned up missing (i have 2 young nephews that had run of the house when they came over to visit) was my FFann #1 and ST annual #2. my Spidey Ann #1 got all beat to hell, but that's about it. i guess they were attracted to squarebounds for some reason........... grin.gif

i'm trying to get this switched to the general board but haven't heard back from the mods yet............

YES!! thumbsup2.gif They're exactly like I remember. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I actually pawed through these when 'the case' was opened at the ACTOR booth. Very sweet indeed!

However, I do recall a quick look of panic as I maneuvered one of the books a bit too quickly for bb... sorry.gif

Burnt, will you solemnly raise your right hand and swear an oath right now, never to have these books pressed while they are in your possession? flowerred.gif
sign-offtopic.gif