• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever get a RESTORED grade on a NON-RESTORED book?

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever gotten a restored grade on a book that you know for a fact (you've owned the book its whole life) it isn't restored?

Something you want to tell us, Steve? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

well, it is a high dollar book (X-Men #1) so it bugs me. I have a total of three X-Men #1 now, one CGC graded restored, one CGG graded and an ungraded copy that will eventually be submitted.

The one that came back a PLOD was owned by my father and given to me in 1978 when I was 10. Hard to imagine someone restored it pre-1978 for my Dad. It supposedly has color touch on the spine. I want to have it looked at by someone else...but who?

I certainly don't want a CGC bashing thread to start, or question their grading. I'd just like to know what others have done in this situation and where you would send it to have a second opinion. I know that CGG has been criticized heavily for their lack of restoration detection, so they aren't an option.

The one that came back a PLOD was owned by my father and given to me in 1978 when I was 10. Hard to imagine someone restored it pre-1978 for my Dad. It supposedly has color touch on the spine. I want to have it looked at by someone else...but who?

Well, your Dad might have bought it after someone touched up the spine, who knows.

Unless you bought the book off the rack yourself, you cannot be 100% sure as to what was actually done to the comic, or how many hands it had passed through before your Dad bought it.

I think if you get a really high voltage light, and a stong loupe, or magnifiying glass.. you can see for yourself where the color touch might be.

It will really be apparent under those conditions.The contrast and gloss of Marker -vs- ink is really quite different.

Also call and get the grader notes, they normally can tell you where the spots are located.

I called CGC on my PLOD JIM Annual #1 Hammer special, and was told 2 places to look for the color touch.

Good luck.

Ze-

What is the grade and what type of restoration.

Regarding, a book back in 1978 being restored, absolutely.

A color touch or even trimming would have been fairly common back then.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Send it to Matt Nelson or Susan Cicconi and have them confirm that the restoration is there.

I think I will take your advice and send it out. If sfilosa is right, maybe my Dad had it restored / touched up or bought it that way. I just figured that would be highly unlikely.

Depending on how much area is "color touched", you might be able to get it removed. The problem is that it probably is either marker or crayon.

My guess is that it is really a color touch. Many of young kids took markers and crayons to their books.

My guess is that it is really a color touch. Many of young kids took markers and crayons to their books.

Yep...Steve, did you ask your dad about it? You seem to be inferring that he bought it off the stands--are you sure of that? Or are you sure he didn't take a marker to it himself? Some kids do it and don't remember it since it's just something they do on a whim.

I can remember almost taking a marker to a VF X-Men #12 with a tape pull that would've been NM without it when I was a young teenager, but if I would've been 5 or 6 at the time, I doubt I would recall it.

Has anyone ever gotten a restored grade on a book that you know for a fact (you've owned the book its whole life) it isn't restored?

All I can say is you'd be surprised. I used to work at Capital City (comic) Distribution in Seattle where I had access to all the new books BEFORE they even hit the comic stores. And as an employee I could even buy any copies that were leftover or extras we had ordered to fill reorders. So there were a few extra copies of Lady Death #1 (1st series) lying around and I purchased the best one for myself. Years later (about two years ago) I sent it in to CGC and SURPRISE!!! my first PLOD!! How could that be? Yup, after sending the book back I called them saying "You guys obviously don't know what you are doing as there is NO WAY that this book has color touch", and I explained why. Well, whadaya' know, looks like ol' Chaos Comics! god damned touched up the spines on their own books before shipping them off to the distributors. And CGC had seen this before in bulk. Boy oh boy did I ever feel stupid about that one. Taught me that NOTHING is for sure. foreheadslap.gif ----Sid

All I can say is you'd be surprised. I used to work at Capital City (comic) Distribution in Seattle where I had access to all the new books BEFORE they even hit the comic stores. And as an employee I could even buy any copies that were leftover or extras we had ordered to fill reorders. So there were a few extra copies of Lady Death #1 (1st series) lying around and I purchased the best one for myself. Years later (about two years ago) I sent it in to CGC and SURPRISE!!! my first PLOD!! How could that be? Yup, after sending the book back I called them saying "You guys obviously don't know what you are doing as there is NO WAY that this book has color touch", and I explained why. Well, whadaya' know, looks like ol' Chaos Comics! god damned touched up the spines on their own books before shipping them off to the distributors. And CGC had seen this before in bulk. Boy oh boy did I ever feel stupid about that one. Taught me that NOTHING is for sure. foreheadslap.gif ----Sid

893whatthe.gif Unbelievable.

holy cow! 893whatthe.gif

How bad would that suck? That one really makes you wonder then because if a comic is touched up at the factory where it was made, should that count as a restoration? Or should it be a grading footnote and a small deduction?

Thanks BassGMan.