• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what is the board discount

151 posts in this topic

I've seen quite a few threads and frankly try to do a lot of deals but have to walk away.

Is 5% or less the standard seller discount on the boards?

And I'm not saying that every seller is using GPA but when I price a book at GPA I'm expected to give 10% or more. Double standard?

And I'm not generally considered a lowballer, I don't bounce checks and I never say this book is for my collection.

I've written and deleted this post more than once but decided to see what the thought process might be.

Over the years I've come to know what sellers to avoid and which ones to spend lots of money with. And that doesn't mean I only buy from guys who are giving books away.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe some of you should leave a little bit of meat on the bone.

When I purchase 2 or more books, and the total is something substantial, I have asked for a 10-15% discount. Sometimes I have been successful, sometimes not. Never any hard feelings. I only offer what I can pay immediately and what I feel comfortable paying for the book(s) at that time.

When I sell, which isn't very often any more, I typically grant requests of 10-20%, depending on many factors.

I've seen quite a few threads and frankly try to do a lot of deals but have to walk away.

And I'm not saying that every seller is using GPA but when I price a book at GPA I'm expected to give 10% or more. Double standard?

And I'm not generally considered a lowballer, I don't bounce checks and I never say this book is for my collection.

I've written and deleted this post more than once but decided to see what the thought process might be.

Over the years I've come to know what sellers to avoid and which ones to spend lots of money with. And that doesn't mean I only buy from guys who are giving books away.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe some of you should leave a little bit of meat on the bone.

My general rule of thumb is I treat others the way they treat me. If you are a dealer who I can regularly buy from and make a few dollars along the way it is a lot easier to reciprocate.

There is no standard board discount. It's up to each seller I guess.

If there is some unwritten rule or board etiquette somewhere, I haven't seen it in all the years I've been here

My general rule of thumb is I treat others the way they treat me. If you are a dealer who I can regularly buy from and make a few dollars along the way it is a lot easier to reciprocate.

I'm with Joey on this one. I don't ask for discounts and if I've bought from someone that hasn't offered one asks for one I decline the request. If one is offered and down the road the seller is looking to buy from me I'll knock down my asking price for them.

Why 10%?

The seller isn't being assessed ebay's seller fees, so that saves the seller what, 5-10% depending on what sort of seller level they have? 10% seems like a good negotiation starting point to me and doesn't result is some ridiculous lowball offer.

What does ebay have to do with the boards?

Lots of board buyers pay with paypal so ebay is involved.

If I bought a book from you on ebay for $100 you are only getting $90 after ebay fees right (depending on seller level factors)? If I buy from you on the board you aren't getting hit with that 10% fee.

That gives the seller a fair bit of room to negotiate and still make the same or more money that they would have made had they sold on ebay.

What does ebay have to do with the boards?

Lots of board buyers pay with paypal so ebay is involved.

Typically I think paypal (owned by ebay) takes 30 cents + 3% on most transactions.

BUT if you sell through ebay, I think you pay the above paypal fee PLUS 6-10% (depending on your selling status) in fees to EBAY.

Some people use ebay prices as a factor in what they are willing to buy/sell at. And some of those people take fees into consideration when deciding what to buy/sell at. Not that they don't factor in other factors too (they might or might not), BUT some people use those prices as part of their buy/sell pricing system.

Ok, so when I pay eBay 10% they advertise, have protection policies and are constantly updating their site. If I'm going to pay 10% to a boardie what are they doing for me? Just because the sale is on the boards does not mean the buyer is entitled to a 10% no eBay fee. At MOST I would split the fee IF I was convinced the price could only be achieved on eBay.

Here is the way I see it,

Typical transaction fees for selling in the various marketplaces are around 10%, selling on the board by paypal is about 3% for a 7% savings(yes in some cases it is higher or lower.)

If you are selling an easy to find book that is always for sale I would expect a discount between 5-10% depending on how hot the book is, how fast seller wants to move it etc.

The case is completely different however if it is a very desirable book that is hard to get a hold of whether for the grade or the book in general. Pricing data is often not as accurate on these books and many people just want to opportunity to purchase a copy, so I can see sellers asking GPA or better for book like these. Sellers should be rewarded for bringing very hard to find books to market, especially when giving the boards the first opportunity.