• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what is the board discount

151 posts in this topic

I remember back in the day when i first joined I would get books at slightly less then GPA. Now it seems people usually list right at GPA pricing (Which is fine by me) or in some cases way over. The days of getting a deal here on the boards seem to be over but once in awhile I see some boardies (the ones who have been here for awhile usually) list great stuff at great prices.

Never would I pay over GPA for a book on here. If I wanted that I would go to eBay :preach:

I seem to find that, at least 75% of sellers of slabs appear to price at the highest GPA price out of the last 5 or 10 sales, a price I see as an anomally, if the price is 30+% more than the next highest price. So I generally offer, initially, maybe at the 75 or 80th percentile, excluding the anomally and work from there. I don't think anyone is automatically entitled to a discount, but folk are entitled to try and get the best price possible but be respectful of the fact that some dealers\sellers' livelihood is selling comics.

If someone is asking for the top of the GPA price range on a book I will usually offer a price that is the equivalent to a 10% or so discount, since no ebay fees are being assessed.

I think 10% is a bit high as that is about the full fee charged by ebay and other sites. So the seller would have no pecuniary incentive to sell on the boards if they net the same price as other venues.

I think 5% for the seller and 5% for the buyer is acceptable.

I make offers. I generally offer "low eBay", meaning I can buy it for that amount on eBay, usually, if I'm patient. That means within a couple of months. It still means that the seller is being offered what they might get on eBay. I'm willing to buy more, to get a better discount. I frequently buy stuff I don't particularly want, just to get a better price.

A few sellers have been offended by my offers.

A few buyers have been offended by my prices.

I don't worry about it too much.

Very few people pay what I think is a reasonable price here. I do fine on eBay. They are worth the 11% they take, if only in terms of traffic (their customer service isn't worth 2 cents.)

If I can sell it on eBay...and my history says I can....I don't bother here. Too much effort, no payoff. I've sold thousands of books on eBay...I've sold maybe 30 books here (with several hundred offered.)

My Spidey #299 example. Raw 9.6 (and that's a "CGC would grade this 9.6) for $55. Minus eBay, it's $50.60 (currently.) It was listed with a BIN of $70.

Who here is going to pay $50 for a raw 9.6 Spidey #299?

No one.

But someone on eBay will, and did.

I follow GPA very closely ("it's not for raw books!"), and price accordingly.

I offer a 14 day no questions asked return policy.

I pack so that your book isn't damaged on the way, and insure everything on the off-chance that it is.

And I have a very fine grading to CGC ratio. If I say it's a 9.8...there's an 85% chance it's going to grade 9.8 at CGC.

My books are guaranteed not to have resto, and on the very slight chance that they do, I will cover both the original cost AND the grading cost.

I ship within a day or two of receipt of payment.

None of that matters here. Not one bit of it. It's like "yeah, and....?"

It DOES matter on eBay.

I think it's situational. If I'm buying one book, I usually don't ask for a discount (although there are times when I have made a counter-offer). If you're buying a bunch of stuff (or spending a certain amount), I don't see anything wrong with asking for a discount.

When I've sold books here (rarely), I feel I usually price them pretty fair. On threads where I'm selling multiple items, I'll usually throw in shipping if a certain price point is met (free shipping if buying over x-amount).

It is nice that there are no fees here and, generally, it's less hassle overall buying & selling here than eBay. I've never really had an issue (or if the other person did, they never let me know they did) other than a few odd requests/questions over the years. Only ever had one really lowball offer years ago on some art, but that's pretty typical in the OA world.

Very few people pay what I think is a reasonable price here. I do fine on eBay. They are worth the 11% they take, if only in terms of traffic (their customer service isn't worth 2 cents.)

Is this really what eBay is charging now, 11%? Didn't they just raise it to 10?

I've seen quite a few threads and frankly try to do a lot of deals but have to walk away.

Is 5% or less the standard seller discount on the boards?

And I'm not saying that every seller is using GPA but when I price a book at GPA I'm expected to give 10% or more. Double standard?

And I'm not generally considered a lowballer, I don't bounce checks and I never say this book is for my collection.

I've written and deleted this post more than once but decided to see what the thought process might be.

Over the years I've come to know what sellers to avoid and which ones to spend lots of money with. And that doesn't mean I only buy from guys who are giving books away.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe some of you should leave a little bit of meat on the bone.

10% SHOULD be the standard here, but it is not. Instead of treating this place like a community, they treat it like a free ebay. The boards are free to sell on, and there is absolutely no reason to NOT pass the buck within the community. But the "sellers" here seem to be quite content with juicing members for every last dime. I have spoken out on this, more than once. But I will not buy from any members who do not actually contribute to this site. If you are just here to take money, I have no use for you. Get a job, or become a dealer. The people here really bother me THAT much. There are lots of great members (who sell often), and then there are the leaches... Especially the leaches who can't grade worth a horse spit.

End Rant

I have no problem with "starting points" As branget stated it is the "entitled" that I generally have issue with.

I'm a person who feels what goes around comes around. If you want 10%+ discounts I expect the same when you are selling. If you don't then don't be surprised if I don't buy from you ever again or recommend you to others.

I give dealers 10% or better to be honest. And the reason is that when I come around and buy, I expect the same in return. Now to be fair, if you are buying a $200.00 book from me, and I am buying a $2,000.00 book from you, I expect to negotiate a fair price. I would not just expect a standard discount as it should be relative.

If someone is asking for the top of the GPA price range on a book I will usually offer a price that is the equivalent to a 10% or so discount, since no ebay fees are being assessed.

I think 10% is a bit high as that is about the full fee charged by ebay and other sites. So the seller would have no pecuniary incentive to sell on the boards if they net the same price as other venues.

Except knowing they aren't dealing with a psychopath scammer

I've seen quite a few threads and frankly try to do a lot of deals but have to walk away.

And I'm not saying that every seller is using GPA but when I price a book at GPA I'm expected to give 10% or more. Double standard?

And I'm not generally considered a lowballer, I don't bounce checks and I never say this book is for my collection.

I've written and deleted this post more than once but decided to see what the thought process might be.

Over the years I've come to know what sellers to avoid and which ones to spend lots of money with. And that doesn't mean I only buy from guys who are giving books away.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe some of you should leave a little bit of meat on the bone.

10% SHOULD be the standard here, but it is not. Instead of treating this place like a community, they treat it like a free ebay. The boards are free to sell on, and there is absolutely no reason to NOT pass the buck within the community. But the "sellers" here seem to be quite content with juicing members for every last dime. I have spoken out on this, more than once. But I will not buy from any members who do not actually contribute to this site. If you are just here to take money, I have no use for you. Get a job, or become a dealer. The people here really bother me THAT much. There are lots of great members (who sell often), and then there are the leaches... Especially the leaches who can't grade worth a horse spit.

End Rant

Some do that, some don't. Just shop with the ones you're happy with. I've bought some hot moderns for probably about as much as anyone had paid for them anywhere at the time. I really wanted to read them though lol

Probably wouldn't do it twice. I've also been the recipient of incredible generosity on the boards.

End Rant

Some do that, some don't. Just shop with the ones you're happy with. I've bought some hot moderns for probably about as much as anyone had paid for them anywhere at the time. I really wanted to read them though lol

Probably wouldn't do it twice. I've also been the recipient of incredible generosity on the boards.

Believe me, I will not even open some peoples sales threads. And some members here are great to deal with, and honestly I negotiate, I don't low ball. But the gougers..

I know I don't sell on eBay etc because many times I only have a 10% or less mark up (i have no secret source for inv... i buy from auctions and boardies etc) and I can't afford to sell on eBay because of lack of margins. In most all instances I will meet a buyer in the middle (which might only technically be 5% or less discount, but to me, it is making the fairest deal I can)

On a rare case I own a book long enough to see a good margin, I try to reciprocate to the buyer, if they've sold to me, whether it is 5% or 10% or 20% or whatever

The asking prices here often make me laugh out loud.

I would be embarrassed to ask what some do. Reminds me of those Ebay sellers asking $1,000 for a beat up Iron Man #49 ( a rare and not often found book, if you believe them). I just couldn't do it.

But chasing the almighty dollar is what most people do. Money just isn't that important to me. Sure, I like some now and then. But I won't trade my honor, integrity, reputation and soul for it.

Some here (and most everywhere else) will, and do. No embarrassment to them at all.

It is sooo hard to not comment in their sales threads, or to not use this: :roflmao:

The asking prices here often make me laugh out loud.

I would be embarrassed to ask what some do. Reminds me of those Ebay sellers asking $1,000 for a beat up Iron Man #49 ( a rare and not often found book, if you believe them). I just couldn't do it.

But chasing the almighty dollar is what most people do. Money just isn't that important to me. Sure, I like some now and then. But I won't trade my honor, integrity, reputation and soul for it.

Some here (and most everywhere else) will, and do. No embarrassment to them at all.

It is sooo hard to not comment in their sales threads, or to not use this: :roflmao:

:applause:

When selling, I don't really try to have a set discount in mind. I field whatever offers I receive and take the fairest one.

When buying, I think a 10% discount from the nearest eBay selling price is fair to start since the seller doesn't have the fees. If the books are already discounted with that in mind, I make an offer and go from there.

^^

So if you agree with the 5/5 logic why should I discount to boardies at conventions?

Until I sell something I'm in the hole for at least $2000 at major shows.

Full price until I get to 10% of sales before I go 5% off.

Yeah, that will work.

Some forum sellers should set up at a show where your sales equal expenses. Drive home mumbling I gave my books away for free.

And then think about those 5% discounts they send me.

On-line self hosted selling probably has the widest profit margin for a retailer.

But the CGC forum board is essentially FREE to the seller. I would think a seller would have more room here than anywhere else they choose to sell.

What you are not factoring in is what a book will fetch either on eBay or at an auction house. There are no guarantees.

Sometimes people prefer one in the hand rather than two in the bush.

I know I don't sell on eBay etc because many times I only have a 10% or less mark up (i have no secret source for inv... i buy from auctions and boardies etc) and I can't afford to sell on eBay because of lack of margins. In most all instances I will meet a buyer in the middle (which might only technically be 5% or less discount, but to me, it is making the fairest deal I can)

On a rare case I own a book long enough to see a good margin, I try to reciprocate to the buyer, if they've sold to me, whether it is 5% or 10% or 20% or whatever

Don't/didn't you own a store, do lots of shows? Don't you have dozens of little old ladies coming in with boxes of comics that have been sitting in the closet since their kids were little in the 50s and 60s?