• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what is the board discount

151 posts in this topic

I sell off my website that I advertise, pay hosting fees etc.

If you are paying electronically you are protected by the cc company or paypal.

I'm sorry I not following the 10% automatic ebay discount and why buyers feel entitled to it.

I'm sorry I not following the 10% automatic ebay discount and why buyers feel entitled to it.

I'm not sure who else said anything about the 10% discount, and I bought it up and said fairly clearly that I use it as a **starting point for negotiations** on books that sellers are asking the TOP range (or above) GPA prices for a book. Particularly if it's a fairly common book.

I never said as a buyer I'm entitled to it, but I'm going to try to get the best deal I can on what I buy and this is a good place to find some wiggle room in the price without making stupid lowball offers.

I tend to not pay full GPA when I buy off Comiclink, ComicConnect, or Heritage. For a while some prices here seemed to be lower than what I could get on those venues. I'm not really seeing that anymore. :sorry:

EDIT: With obvious exceptions ( :baiting: Cheetah)

I'm not sure who else said anything about the 10% discount, and I bought it up and said fairly clearly that I use it as a **starting point for negotiations** on books that sellers are asking the TOP range (or above) GPA prices for a book. Particularly if it's a fairly common book.

I never said as a buyer I'm entitled to it, but I'm going to try to get the best deal I can on what I buy and this is a good place to find some wiggle room in the price without making stupid lowball offers.

I believe I used the word "entitled" and with some buyers that has been my experience.

Do you mean a discount off fair market value as if the seller is pricing per GPA?

Or a discount off of what the seller is asking? Because there is a big difference.

Some sellers start at GPA or fair market value. So I think a board discount is in order.

I start my asking prices just a little more than I have in the book. So I may already be giving a huge discount off GPA or FMV.

I will typically make someone an offer based on what I would at a con if we were standing there talking to each other. If someone else gives an "I'll Take It" while I am PMing the seller - I lost out because I am trying to save a little. Sometimes people have some wiggle room, sometimes they don't but I figure it never hurts to ask.

I have no problem with "starting points" As branget stated it is the "entitled" that I generally have issue with.

I'm a person who feels what goes around comes around. If you want 10%+ discounts I expect the same when you are selling. If you don't then don't be surprised if I don't buy from you ever again or recommend you to others.

I have no problem with "starting points" As branget stated it is the "entitled" that I generally have issue with.

I'm a person who feels what goes around comes around. If you want 10%+ discounts I expect the same when you are selling. If you don't then don't be surprised if I don't buy from you ever again or recommend you to others.

:applause:

I've seen quite a few threads and frankly try to do a lot of deals but have to walk away.

Is 5% or less the standard seller discount on the boards?

And I'm not saying that every seller is using GPA but when I price a book at GPA I'm expected to give 10% or more. Double standard?

And I'm not generally considered a lowballer, I don't bounce checks and I never say this book is for my collection.

I've written and deleted this post more than once but decided to see what the thought process might be.

Over the years I've come to know what sellers to avoid and which ones to spend lots of money with. And that doesn't mean I only buy from guys who are giving books away.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe some of you should leave a little bit of meat on the bone.

In my mind when I ponder pricing things here at a minimum I am going to shave off the 7-10% feebay would be charging me and then a little more for good measure.

I have written and deleted this topic more than once.

I have had multiple 5% discounts thrown my way.

I am more sympathetic to a seller who admits they are tight into a book. I understand that. But I have had a lot of 10% discount requests turned down.

What has always amazed me is that a lot of sellers don't realize that Dealers write big checks, they buy a lot of books if you treat them right. Yes, sell to collectors but frankly my biggest convention sales are always to other dealers. And this is backed up by years of doing this.

Ok, so when I pay eBay 10% they advertise, have protection policies and are constantly updating their site. If I'm going to pay 10% to a boardie what are they doing for me? Just because the sale is on the boards does not mean the buyer is entitled to a 10% no eBay fee. At MOST I would split the fee IF I was convinced the price could only be achieved on eBay.

But if your price is based on ebay sales you are taking advantage of their advertising already.

And the protection policies for a seller are pretty lame.

Price things however you want. But folks here angling for 7-10% less than the going "ebay rate" for something given that there are no ebay fees here is hardly irrational.

I think there is always a resonable deal to be had on my books ( cough cough) :baiting:. Always been of the school of thought 90% of something is better than zero percent of zero when you need to move stuff. If it is not necessary to sell it maybe you hold out for full price

Well that is different than selling in the forum here.

I have written and deleted this topic more than once.

I have had multiple 5% discounts thrown my way.

I am more sympathetic to a seller who admits they are tight into a book. I understand that. But I have had a lot of 10% discount requests turned down.

What has always amazed me is that a lot of sellers don't realize that Dealers write big checks, they buy a lot of books if you treat them right. Yes, sell to collectors but frankly my biggest convention sales are always to other dealers. And this is backed up by years of doing this.

I would charge you 10% extra.