• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first appearance of adamantium/cgc label question

54 posts in this topic

How is a cameo that is the first time a character is seen, not a first appearance?

IH#181 is the more valuable because the market set it that way. Wolverine is on the cover and appears throughout the issue. It's his first "full" appearance, but IH#180 is still his first appearance.

-slym

But we are discussing reality and CGC here which are sometimes very different. Sure in reality IH 180 is the first Wolverine as he has a Cameo on the last page, yet according to CGC, IH 181 is the "First appearance." I wasn't speaking to what I thought, but rather what CGC recognizes.

I'd like to quote from my good friend Miriam Webster:

first

adjective \ˈfərst\

: coming before all others in time, order, or importance

ap·pear·ance

noun \ə-ˈpir-ən(t)s\

: the action of appearing : the fact that something or someone arrives or begins to be seen

i will now present to my fellow board members two images, displayed in sequential order based on the numbers shown on the top left of them, ordered from the lowest to the highest number:

h180.jpg

h181.jpg

next, i will reveal, by the definitions from the top of my post, an image that appears within the first book of the sequence I have just presented to you:

180last.jpg

the bottom line? wolverine's first appearance is in hulk 180. you guys can't rewrite history.

let's play again - the following shows two more images, in sequential order based on the numbers displayed on the top left of the images:

a54.jpg

a55.jpg

the following image appears within the first book of the sequence above:

ultron.jpg

looks like mr ultron's first appearance is in avengers 54.

Ok I get the sense that some people are very upset with the first appearance debate. I would like to point out, I was speaking to what CGC considers a first full appearance and not what my personal views are, as they are irrelevant at best. Feel free to send snarky correspondence and demeaning explanations to Sarasota, maybe you can get them to re-write history.

for the record 180 IS labeled "first appearance as cameo" and 181 is "First full appearance" and again for whatever reason the majority of collectors prefer First FULL appearance as Slym pointed out by us driving the market on prices and 181 being much more valuable compared to 180

ha i dont think anyones upset. if anything, its pretty damn funny that we are 5+ pages in on a comics board playing the chicken and the egg about when a fictional metal first appeared in print, and also whether a cameo of a superhero is or is not an official introduction to the character. the thread has been a joy to read through and ive actually learned a bit of fun information from it ..

ap·pear·ance

noun \ə-ˈpir-ən(t)s\

: the action of appearing : the fact that something or someone arrives or begins to be seen

You should tell your good friend that they don't know much about comics.

Appearance in comics means appears in a story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with your main point. Wolverine clearly appears for the first time in Incredible Hulk 180, even though it's in a story panel than is only technically not just an ad for Incredible Hulk 181. And Ultron clearly appears in Avengers 54, even though he was in disguise for most of the issue and not named.

Avengers 4 shield was vibranium-iron alloy or something like that.

so that makes it a vibranium shield.

my motorcycle has titanium alloy disk bolts in it. they are referred to as titanium disk bolts.

Sure, but if Company X sold disk bolts that are Titanium and Titanium/Iron Alloy mix. They would specify the difference in name AND in cost.

Cap's shield has a very long and storied history. And there has been many debates on what it was made of and the answer has changed depending on what year it is. I thought its important to be specific in description.

:preach:

Avengers 4 shield was vibranium-iron alloy or something like that.

so that makes it a vibranium shield.

my motorcycle has titanium alloy disk bolts in it. they are referred to as titanium disk bolts.

Sure, but if Company X sold disk bolts that are Titanium and Titanium/Iron Alloy mix. They would specify the difference in name AND in cost.

Cap's shield has a very long and storied history. And there has been many debates on what it was made of and the answer has changed depending on what year it is. I thought its important to be specific in description.

:preach:

good point

ha i dont think anyones upset. if anything, its pretty damn funny that we are 5+ pages in on a comics board playing the chicken and the egg about when a fictional metal first appeared in print, and also whether a cameo of a superhero is or is not an official introduction to the character. the thread has been a joy to read through and ive actually learned a bit of fun information from it ..

The main problem we are running into is we are trying to rationalize CGC. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, but they certainly have their :screwy: moments and their stance on Origin, First Appearance, and First Full Appearance is one of those situations where it's questionable. I still send my books to them, still appreciate what they do, but ehh whatever this isn't the thread for that anyway.

So in the case of Wolverine, there is no true "first appearance" that includes all criteria, there is a "first brief/cameo" and "first full" appearance in Hulk 180 and 181, respectively.

So, since the appearance in #181 happened second, #180 is his first apearance. I just cannot reconcile something happening first and calling the second instance of that same thing happening the "first" anything.

IH#180 is Wolverine's first appearance. #181 can't be, because it already happened - hence we get the "first full appearance" moniker, which in this case, means "2nd appearance."

:)

-slym

first

adjective \ˈfərst\

: coming before all others in time, order, or importance

ap·pear·ance

noun \ə-ˈpir-ən(t)s\

i will now present to my fellow board members two images, displayed in sequential order based on the numbers shown on the top left of them, ordered from the lowest to the highest number:

h180.jpg

h181.jpg

next, i will reveal, by the definitions from the top of my post, an image that appears within the first book of the sequence I have just presented to you:

180last.jpg

the bottom line? wolverine's first appearance is in hulk 180. you guys can't rewrite history.

let's play again - the following shows two more images, in sequential order based on the numbers displayed on the top left of the images:

a54.jpg

a55.jpg

the following image appears within the first book of the sequence above:

ultron.jpg

looks like mr ultron's first appearance is in avengers 54.

+1

-slym

I've just decided to hit the market for a high grade H182, it's the first appearance of wolverine outside of his 1st full appearance

No, it's his first appearance AFTER his first full appearance or better yet, his first flashback appearance. :grin: