• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Thread Has Two Questions

68 posts in this topic

PART ONE:

So, I took the day off yesterday and I went to a hobby shop auction. Shout out to Hector for sending me the info. They had all kinds of stuff: comics, statues, games, magik, trades, toys, you name it. I got a cool mini spinner rack for my comic room:

13950672606_2f205207fc_c.jpg

I took my dad with me so we could hang out and talk comics. He's not really into it, but finds it interesting. One of the trades I bought was the Death of a Superman.

13990270125_e369455eb8.jpg

I picked up the tpb and told dad, "this is one of the most important story arcs in the history of comics," and went on to talk about the events within.

So this begs the question:

1. If someone asked you, "what is one of the most important story arcs in comics history," what would you say?

PART TWO:

I was going through some books in my boxes and ran across an issue I loved as a kid growing up. But, it's kinda embarrassing to admit I like this issue, even to other comic folk. It was Cable #1 gold foil edition.

13990709114_46df9db0f3_z.jpg

Which also begs the question:

2. What comic do you like but are kinda embarrassed to admit you like it? Whether it's 90s drek, My Little Pony, or something underground and bizarro... What floats your boat that might make other comic mavens go :shy:

1. If someone asked you, "what is one of the most important story arcs in comics history," what would you say?

GwensDead.jpg

Disappointed by the growing numbers of titles, a lessening of the quality of art and story, and increasing prices to 20¢, this just seemed to cross the line. I quit collecting.

1) Being a Spidey fan, I'd have to say the Death of Gwen Stacy.

2) Can't really answer because I've only really been into comics for a year and a half now.

You can say it-it's Youngblood isn't it?

1... Death of Superman as well...

2... I used to love reading the Sleepwalker lol... even going to submitt a copy but I like to collect comics I loved as a kid...

That Cable series was my favorite as well...

The most important, most far reaching story arc in all of comics is Crisis on Infinite Earths. It changed everything at DC, and its ramifications are still being felt (even if we are down to hackneyed retreads of it by now.)

Marvel has no analog, though it could have used it. Marvel arrived in 2011 essentially at where DC was in 1985.

It may not be the most popular, but it certainly changed and affected everything at DC.

The most important, most far reaching story arc in all of comics is Crisis on Infinite Earths. It changed everything at DC, and its ramifications are still being felt (even if we are down to hackneyed retreads of it by now.)

Marvel has no analog, though it could have used it. Marvel arrived in 2011 essentially at where DC was in 1985.

It may not be the most popular, but it certainly changed and affected everything at DC.

This is why I asked the question :)

Recommended tpb reading??

One of the most important: The coming of Silver Surfer and Galactus

Most embarrassed to like. hmmm....That's a tough one. I forget the issue, but it was a story about Lobo dying and going to hell and raising so much hell there, that the Devil sent him to Heaven. Where he raised so much hell there, that God sent him back to earth alive again.

God was a good sport about it, and laughed as he watched Lobo tear Heaven apart. But the Devil was not a good sport about the trouble Lobo caused in hell. (of course)

Recommended TPBs: JLA vs Avengers

Anything Brubaker/Phillips (except Fatale)

Gotham Central

So, I took the day off yesterday and I went to a hobby shop auction. Shout out to Hector for sending me the info.

:acclaim:

Part One - it's a mini series for me, Dark Knight Returns. The writing, artwork and update to an iconic set of characters really blew me away. I love the Gwen story, but this was on another level.

Part Two - I love those bronze romance comics, Romita's art is :thumbsup: , silver age Lois Lane/Wonder Woman

Recommended reads (I like teh TPB format because it gives me 5-8 issues at once) -

Y: The Last Man

100 Bullets

Saga Of The Swamp Thing

Runaways

I only read the first trade, but The Sixth Gun was awesome

EoW

Saga

TWD

-slym

"this is one of the most important story arcs in the history of comics,"
Huh, that's actually the story that made me quit reading comics for 20 years, and quit Marvel and DC superhero comics forever.

If the epic death of Gwen Stacy made you quit reading comics you have no business reading comics. :baiting:

1. The Kree-Skrull War

2. I'm not embarrassed by anything I collect. The things I am a big fan of that most comic fans would probably scratch their heads at are Night Nurse and Atari Force. But that's only the people who haven't read those comics. People who have read them know why they are awesome.