• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psychology of the numbers

39 posts in this topic

on older books i want everything 7.5 and up.......i do have some lower that i sent in raw and unless i get an upgrade to thoes books, there going sit in my collection

now if it's from the 80's and up i want 9.6+ though i will sit with lower till i get an upgrade........but 9.8 is always the goal and i will upgrade a 9.6 if the price is right

prob 90%+ of my CGC books i sub'd myself, so i'm a big beliver of buying books raw then gradeing instead of buying already graded

I like the best book I can afford. The number is one of the lesser important factors in my decision to buy a slabbed book. We discussed this a while back and I think I ranked my priorities for buying a slab like this:

(1) Eye appeal

(2) Cost

(3) Grade

(4) Registration (alignment/wrap)

(5) Page quality

(6) Slab condition

In just my little measly 20 slab collection I have the following grades:

So, I have everything from 1.8 to 9.8 and pretty much all numbers in between.

Wait... so you'd rather, in a way, own a 7.0 than a 7.5? Just because the 7.5 looks like a weird-ish number? :makepoint:

Not sure I understand really.... I get the idea of "I want an 8.0... and even if this book is an awesome looking 7.5 that could regrad to an 8.0, I'll hold out for the 8.0". While I don't agree with it, at least I get it.

Not sure how anyone could "hate" any specific numbers. 7.5 is usually a nice book (talking SA of course)!

Wait... so you'd rather, in a way, own a 7.0 than a 7.5? Just because the 7.5 looks like a weird-ish number? :makepoint:

Not sure I understand really.... I get the idea of "I want an 8.0... and even if this book is an awesome looking 7.5 that could regrad to an 8.0, I'll hold out for the 8.0". While I don't agree with it, at least I get it.

Not sure how anyone could "hate" any specific numbers. 7.5 is usually a nice book (talking SA of course)!

I think after hearing out other people's views I understand my own position better. To me, I always equate the number with the letter grade:

NM = 9.4

VF = 8.0

F = 6.0

VG = 4.0

So, the 7.x books are tweener grades. It's not really a VF and it's not really a NM.

Again, if I like the book and it is in a 7.x slab then I will either deslab (done that before) or re-submit it (done that before too).

Still, for some reason I like the number 9.2 and that goes against my logic above. In fact, I sort of like it better than 9.4... so the insanity continues.

In the end it doesn't really matter. I have a bunch of slabbed books and raw books that I love. Just wanted to find out if I was alone on this one.

I understand the phrase "buy the book not the number" but I can't help but avoid some books because of the grade. For example, I hate 7.5s. I don't want to own one even if it is the nicest 7.5 out there. It's just something about that number that is unappealing to me.

Not a big fan of 7.0 either. 9.0 bugs me as well. It isn't a 9.2. I would rather have a nice 8.5.

Am I :screwy: ?

Anyone else feel this way about any particular grade?

Nope, totally get what you mean. The 9.0 just looks weird to me, would rather the 8.5 as well. My favorite number is 8 so that could be why, or maybe we're both :screwy:

(thumbs u :screwy:

The logic escapes me completely. Why on earth would a 9.2 have any less valuable connotation than 8.5 (strictly speaking about the numerical meaning, which I believe is your quibble/bias whatever -correct me if I'm wrong). Is it that odd numbers are bad, even numbers good or something? I'm actually intrigued to know.

edit: reading that other post meaning sheds some light but still .. bizarre.

I have a grade I like (that I can afford) from each era. 2.0 for early silver age, 8.0 for late silver, 9.0 for Bronze, and 9.8 for copper/modern. If money were no object, my ideal grade would be 9.0 for silver, which is funny since some people here seem to hate it for some (or no?) reason.

I developed a love for 8.5 W so I can somewhat relate to the :screwy: of numbers.

I got lucky on a few nice looking keys in my collection that were 8.5 W so I started chasing 8.5 W's to match! I even sold 9.0's in the past to downgrade to 8.5's and have a couple 8.0's I'd like to upgrade at some point! :facepalm:

(thumbs u :screwy:

The logic escapes me completely. Why on earth would a 9.2 have any less valuable connotation than 8.5 (strictly speaking about the numerical meaning, which I believe is your quibble/bias whatever -correct me if I'm wrong). Is it that odd numbers are bad, even numbers good or something? I'm actually intrigued to know.

edit: reading that other post meaning sheds some light but still .. bizarre.

I never said it was logical. I have seen people that are not as experienced in dealing with cgc books choose a lesser looking book that had a higher number just because of the number so clearly there is a psychological impact.

For me, it is sort of the reverse. If I see the book in a slab that is a grade I do not like (e.g. 7.5) I think it taints the book for me. If I had to choose between two books where one is the 7.5 and the other is a lesser looking 6.5 (which is a number I like oddly) I would obviously choose the 7.5. But, it would bother me and I would most likely deslab it or resubmit it. Probably deslab it. Unless of course it was a mega key in which case I likely couldn't afford a 7.5 or 6.5 to begin with.

I have a 9.0 I just deslabbed because I hated the number and loved the book.

But yes slym... People Are Strange...

And I am proudly one of them. :acclaim: