• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psychology of the numbers

39 posts in this topic

I understand the phrase "buy the book not the number" but I can't help but avoid some books because of the grade. For example, I hate 7.5s. I don't want to own one even if it is the nicest 7.5 out there. It's just something about that number that is unappealing to me.

Not a big fan of 7.0 either. 9.0 bugs me as well. It isn't a 9.2. I would rather have a nice 8.5.

Am I :screwy: ?

Anyone else feel this way about any particular grade?

[font:Book Antiqua]

Don't forget that numbers mean quality.

The lesser the number the less quality you get.

Maybe that is what is really bothering you...[/font]

2c

That's antithetical to whole "buy the book not the number" concept.

[font:Book Antiqua]

Don't forget that numbers mean quality.

The lesser the number the less quality you get.

Maybe that is what is really bothering you...[/font]

2c

That's antithetical to whole "buy the book not the number" concept.

[font:Book Antiqua]What can I say...

Don't blame the messenger .

Your CGC 7.0 looks way better that the other guy CGC 9.8[/font]

:eyeroll:

You are :screwy:

A 7.5 is a nice book

If the grade is accurate I agree with you. I once had a book come back a 7.5 that I thought was no better than a 6.5. Because of this, I decided against keeping it.

I understand the phrase "buy the book not the number" but I can't help but avoid some books because of the grade. For example, I hate 7.5s. I don't want to own one even if it is the nicest 7.5 out there. It's just something about that number that is unappealing to me.

Not a big fan of 7.0 either. 9.0 bugs me as well. It isn't a 9.2. I would rather have a nice 8.5.

That is extremely peculiar. I have no understanding of your dislike for certain numbers. When I buy a comic, it's because I like the comic.

I recommend buying old labels so that you can't see the numbered grade as easily or maybe raw books. Who knew that CGC's label could be causing such a problem?

If you crack them out of the slab you won't have to worry about this.

+1

I put mine in a Mylite and tell myself all my little pretties are 9.8s.

9.0's are grails to people unfamiliar about CGC. They go, "Whoaaaaa 9/10. That's like almost dead mint."

I've seen that at shows.

Nope, totally get what you mean. The 9.0 just looks weird to me, would rather the 8.5 as well. My favorite number is 8 so that could be why, or maybe we're both :screwy:

9.0's are grails to people unfamiliar about CGC. They go, "Whoaaaaa 9/10. That's like almost dead mint."

I've seen that at shows.

In the real world, aren't they right? Cracked out and put back on a retail shelf most people wouldn't flinch, seeing 'practically new' with a minor flaw or two.

It's the hobby that gets whacky over nano-differences and barely discernible wiggles and waves. Something learned, not instinctive.