• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I wrong here? (Ebay related question)

32 posts in this topic

Can we get a best practices thread on shipping slabs? I've shipped about 20 in a flat rate medium box, using a cocoon of bubble wrap. I've read on other threads that method is not sufficient. I've only had one case cracked in my experience. Thanks.

I agree 100% with return/refund. It is the simplest way to go. When you get the book back, you can weigh the expense of reholdering vs the price differential of selling it as is with a slight discount to offset damaged holder.

$87 is a joke. The guy sounds like a scammer to me. Many buyers achieve their "discount" by making false claims. Simply ask him to pack up the book and return for a full refund. This happens more often than it should. Also, don't forget to report the buyer to eBay (it actually works, especially if they have a pattern and practice of this).

Can we get a best practices thread on shipping slabs? I've shipped about 20 in a flat rate medium box, using a cocoon of bubble wrap. I've read on other threads that method is not sufficient. I've only had one case cracked in my experience. Thanks.

Flat rate boxes are too short (regardless of what people will now chime in and say). Use a 1095. :sumo:

Just looked in my paypal history as I had a similar experience with a book.

Slab: ASM 41 8.0 $262 shipped

If I remember correctly it was shipped in an envelope and nothing more.

Refund Received: $40 for reslabbing fee.

It may not be worth it to take back unless you are going to reslab it yourself and were going to send other books down to Sarasota to get slabbed. You will be on the hook for return shipping so add that to your own reslabbing fee and you may just want to wash your hands of the matter for +/- $5.

No pics then no money then. I had a guy claim damage to a rare action figure (at the time). He flat out refused to provide pictures saying his word should be good enough. Threatened to write nasty things about me online. I shrugged. He did. Said he would take it down if I refunded (still no pics).

No refund.

Nasty post about me.

I shrug.

Ah the old prodigy/aol message boards. :cloud9:

Odds are if you pay for the return shipping, and then relist it (blatantly noting the crack in the slab in the listing) you'll probably come out ahead of giving this guy reholdering fees (which odds are he wont get it reslabbed, heck he could probably make money cracking it out and selling it as a raw (inflated) 9.4

I got a cracked slab recently. A 9.0 spec spidey, 1st cosmic spidey.

The box arrived OPENED with the slab cracked.

I sent the seller a pissed off email...no response.

Called USPS, said they filed a claim...

Was to be called back, never got call.

I won the book for 9.99....so I just let it go.

I got a cracked slab recently. A 9.0 spec spidey, 1st cosmic spidey.

The box arrived OPENED with the slab cracked.

I sent the seller a pissed off email...no response.

Called USPS, said they filed a claim...

Was to be called back, never got call.

I won the book for 9.99....so I just let it go.

This is what I do not understand. Did the package arrive open due to poor packing? I do not think that the seller would try to send the item in an open box nor would the USPS accept such a parcel. So I would assume that the box became opened in transit with the subsequent damage to the slab a result of the opened box. Why first send the seller a pissed off email? I would have been upset at USPS first.

I got a cracked slab recently. A 9.0 spec spidey, 1st cosmic spidey. The box arrived OPENED with the slab cracked. I sent the seller a pissed off email...no response. Called USPS, said they filed a claim... Was to be called back, never got call. I won the book for 9.99....so I just let it go.

This is what I do not understand. Did the package arrive open due to poor packing? I do not think that the seller would try to send the item in an open box nor would the USPS accept such a parcel. So I would assume that the box became opened in transit with the subsequent damage to the slab a result of the opened box. Why first send the seller a pissed off email? I would have been upset at USPS first.

Me too...