• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your 1 Favorite SS Book in Your Collection and Why

53 posts in this topic

I can't choose. It was good to see you guys at C2E2. Everytime one of these gets started, people post three or four and say they are all tied for first. lol

Well there goes my idea. doh!

This is tough...to just pick one.

I have the Frazetta Eerie in 9.8....but I have a piece of art that Frank gave me that trumps it for me.

I have the Larry Hagman/Barbara Eden I Dream of Jeannie. But I didn't meet either of them.

Same with my Johnny Crawford Rifleman #10...the ultimate conversation piece but no personal connection.

I choose this one. The book itself was such a funny choice that Val Kilmer stopped his line and spoke to me for a few minutes about his film roles and favorite movies and such. He appreciated the book choice and took some time to tell me so. One of the my all time favorite movies is Tombstone and that makes this a special book to me because if provided me the experience of meeting the singular shining star of that film.

KilmerRawhide025_zps5a9a8f06.jpg

This is tough...to just pick one.

I have the Frazetta Eerie in 9.8....but I have a piece of art that Frank gave me that trumps it for me.

I have the Larry Hagman/Barbara Eden I Dream of Jeannie. But I didn't meet either of them.

Same with my Johnny Crawford Rifleman #10...the ultimate conversation piece but no personal connection.

I choose this one. The book itself was such a funny choice that Val Kilmer stopped his line and spoke to me for a few minutes about his film roles and favorite movies and such. He appreciated the book choice and took some time to tell me so. One of the my all time favorite movies is Tombstone and that makes this a special book to me because if provided me the experience of meeting the singular shining star of that film.

KilmerRawhide025_zps5a9a8f06.jpg

Oh that is sweet! I love that movie!

This book would have to be my favorite - Batman 37 signed by Jerry Robinson

The signature was obtained at NYCC and it was the first time I met Jerry. All the classics were sitting next to one another. Colan, Robinson, Sinnott, Infantino, Fradon, Hasen and possibly Plastino that year. They were all very nice and took time to chat with everyone.

I spent weeks looking for the perfect book and finally located a nice midgrade copy of Batman 37 from an overseas boardie. Book came back graded as advertised and with a lovely signature from Jerry Robinson.

Batman37cgc60.jpg

WOW!!! :cloud9:

Great post Sean!!

Its really hard to say, and obviously for me its sketches which are different beasts from rare or special SA or Key books signed by legends but for me it would have to be my Joe Quesada Hero Initiative inked by Danny Miki

I would choose it just because when I started collecting sketches I never thought I would get something ever like this and it was even more gratifying because of how hard it was for me to a) track the owner and b) convince said owner to actually let go of this book. Its also notable that shortly after he did this piece and maybe one or two covers that Joe Q stopped doing his work by hand and went completely digital with inks on his blue lines from Miki in the future, so to have something done completely by hand by both people is fantastic

b0e200f4.jpg

Joe%20Quesada.jpg

USM100QuesadaMiki65HiF-2.jpg

This is my favorite SS book for a number of reasons, but overall it's the first yellow label I ever acquired. It left a lasting impression on me as a kid since I'd never seen so many of my favorites in on book/series at the same time.

2904142318231.jpg

unnamed2_zps4f051863.jpg

DB6FB7D9-4C2F-4299-B5FD-0FA057902BF0_zps9339954d.jpg

Love the WD show and its great to have cast signs on my WD 3...front and back covers (great thks to Doug) . Even though i am happy to own this but feel guilty as the process involved crack, prep, then crack and prep.....very environmental unfriendly :(

I have had a hard time staying with a collecting focus ever since I sold my Batman books to Brandon. I think my favorite that I own right now would have to be my Ed Hannigan take on Batman 608 2nd print.

BatmanbyEdHannigan-F_zpsddd5cb44.jpg

I got to meet the great Joe Kubert and talk with him for a while He signed a bunch of my favorite DC War books that feature his covers. This was the first one he signed for me, so it's my favorite SS book. :cloud9:

<a  href=img013.jpg' alt='img013.jpg'>

I believe this is my favorite book right now. I am a big Spider-Man 2099 fan and was thrilled when he was planned to return in Superior Spider-Man.

My 7x signed, same date book from NYCC 2013.

2401142029281.jpg

Signed By:

Ryan Stegman - Interior Artist

Dan Slott - Writer

Joe Quesada - Marvel Chief Creative Officer

Edgar Delgado - Interior Colorist

Olivier Coipel - Cover Artist

John Livesay - Interior Inker

Peter David - Spider-Man 2099 Creator

I only own a couple SS but this one is my favorite.

As a big fan of DC war growing up, I was excited to get a Joe Kubert sig, even though I had already met him a couple times in the pre-CGC days. Having Andy and Adam sign it as well was the icing on the cake.

The "2 names written in marker" are Andy and Adam sigs from a White Plains NY show back in 2000/2001 or thereabouts.

2302132127121.jpg

My pièce de résistance:

Batman-BruceTimm-JokerSketch_zps880c51be.jpg

When I was a kid I always liked comic book, movie and cartoon villains; Joker, Captain Hook, Darth Vader, etc. Of course my favorite villain is The Joker and growing up I loved watching Batman: The Animated Series. Mark Hamill as the voice of the Joker was always awesome to me, which is why I was so hyped when I had the opportunity to own this book. Man, I'd love to have the opportunity to crack this slab open to add Mr. Hamill's sig to it... to me, that would be awesome!

A great book that I got as a gift for my wife, from JJ on my 1st trip to SDCC. Right now it currently sits in her Law Office. She is a huge fan of the show and the books.

SKMBT_C25313101618040_0011_zpsbab7ad43.jpgSKMBT_C25313101618040_0012_zpsd8b10950.jpg

This is my favorite as of right now. I took this blue label 9.8 to Portacio and asked him if he was do a Bishop sketch if I cracked it open. He said yes. Then his wife begged me not to because it was a 9.8. I told her it was a 9.6 in a 9.8 holder. What do I know? :screwy:

uncannyx-men282cgc98whilceportacio1114589010_zps9ad1dfd9.jpg

Here's my favorite. I'm a huge fan of Seth Green and Robot Chicken so getting this book done at SDCC last year was worth the trip alone. I got a photo with Seth Green too.

Image229_zpsdbf88577.jpg