• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your 1 Favorite SS Book in Your Collection and Why

53 posts in this topic

Hi All,

In the past we have had threads like top 5 or favorite sketch. I thought it would be fun to pick your favorite book of all and why. It can be a sketch cover or a regular SS book.....the only rule is pick 1 book and why!

If this is a good idea the thread might stick around for a while, if not it will slowly fade away from the SS forum front page. (shrug)

My favorite book in my SS collection is my Epic Illustrated #1 CGC 9.8 SS Stan Lee and Frank Frazetta.

I found these old pics. This is part of the reason why I love this book, I have the photos to go with it.

EpicIllustrated9.jpg

272765535_o_zpscb8fdcd0.jpg

285825236_o_zpse41a86bc.jpg

To me this book represents a lot.

-I got to make a great new friend on the boards (Makmorn) who was wise in the ways of Comic magazines. Many great conversations with him and I learned a lot of information that I am quite grateful for.

-We got to do our 2nd Frank Frazetta signing.......magical times with my best friends experiencing unreal Art....

-Another great friend CollectingStanLee and I had a great time hanging out with Stan in his office in LA. Stan was impressed that I had Mr. Frazetta sign the book! He joked "You want ME to sign this?"

-The book came back with the 9.8 Grade, both of these legends signed it in beautiful gold pens (The one's that bled and smeared back in the day no less!)

-This is my favorite book, I am pretty sure this is the only double signed Frazetta Lee SS book that I know of. Some of you may have seen it before, some have not so thanks for letting me share! I look forward to seeing and hearing about your favorite book!

Another excuse to show off one of my favorite books? Why the hell not!

My absolute favorite Signature is my triple signed MOS 18. Signed by Simonson, Jurgens and Bogdanove. The signatures were also obtained on different dates and the book retained its 9.8 grade.

I particularly loved this book because it was the first time we met the character Clark could not simply overpower. The book is also special as it is the copy I picked up at my comic shop when it was released. However, i am disappointed in the circus this book has been involved in lately. There as a time when my copy was one of 4 Signatures! All of a sudden everyone "loves" the book. :eyeroll:

Nonetheless, once the hype has passed, the book will remain one of my favorites. Just as it was when I first purchased it. Even now as I am thinning out my Signature collection, this is one of maybe 4 books that I will never sell. :luhv:

SAM_5629.jpg

I can't choose. It was good to see you guys at C2E2. Everytime one of these gets started, people post three or four and say they are all tied for first. lol

Gotta choose 1 haha Awesome seeing you!

There is no tied for first!

Until I get another chance at an upgrade the twins are currently my favorites, followed very closely by my 9.6 (if I decide to crack it out in a month or two for SS I am going to be sweating bullets cause I am not sure it will come back in the same grade).

20140429_085631_zps5f5b0f61.jpg

I've whittled down most of my SS collection to just the books I really like so choosing just one is not easy. However, I think this choice is the most obvious.

Swamp Thing 21 is one of my favorite single issues ever written, and to have it signed by both the writer and artist is a win.

Alan Moore, as elusive as he already is, is unlikely to sign any DC books ever again so to have his sig on a Swamp Thing is extra meaningful.

Totleben is one of my favorite artists, if not my favorite, so I was delighted to have him sketch on the cover. I requested the Floronic Man for the sketch because that character is the real main character of the issue and I wanted something different than the traditional Swampy sketches Totlleben was doing at the time. I think he did an amazing job.

2601141624571_zpsa4b00eb6.jpg

For sentimental reasons I have to go with this one.

MonsterHunters1.jpg

When I was a kid (back in the '70s) my grandfather would take me and my brother to this barber shop on the main street here in town. They always had stuff for customers to read while they waited for a chair. A stack of magazines, the daily paper and of course a stack of comic books for the kids. From the first time I saw this book I loved the cover and every time we went to the barber shop I'd dig this one out of the pile and read it cover to cover.

Currently, it would have to be this book:

WP_20131029_004.jpg

I bought the book Raw on Ebay for $100, got it signed by Carmine Infantino during his last con appearance at NYCC before he died, got Neal Adams to sign said book at same con while explaining to me why Batman had pants on even though Ra's was holding another pair in his hand. I then got it signed the following year after I chanced upon a NY Daily News article stating Denny O'Neil would be at a panel at a Wizard World NY Experience show (he was not scheduled officially as a guest back then). I chanced cracking my 9.0 with two signatures to see if he would sign my book after the con. Not only did he sign it, but he spoke to me a bit about his work and what he had planned for the next few months.

Granted, it may not be a 9.8 but it certainly feels like it is to me after everything I went through to get the sigs for that book.

this was a really hard choice but, for sentimental reasons, I'm going with this one:

That TV show is one of the first shows I really got into as a kid and is definitely the reason I became interested in comic collecting.

1712130142181_zps1d922f61.jpg

I'm going to go with this one. Our Love Story #5. I was really getting into signature series and wanted to find a book that a lot of the big names had worked on. I was scrolling through comiclink auctions and came across this book universal in 9.0. It wound up being a bit more than I thought it would be because I didn't realize the niche for the romance books out there. Now I have an SS 9.0 with Stan Lee - writer, Steranko interiors, and a sweet Romita Sr cover. Every time I flip through my books and see it I consider it to be the coolest book in my collection.

DSC_7835-X3.jpg

I'm going to go with this one. Our Love Story #5. I was really getting into signature series and wanted to find a book that a lot of the big names had worked on. I was scrolling through comiclink auctions and came across this book universal in 9.0. It wound up being a bit more than I thought it would be because I didn't realize the niche for the romance books out there. Now I have an SS 9.0 with Stan Lee - writer, Steranko interiors, and a sweet Romita Sr cover. Every time I flip through my books and see it I consider it to be the coolest book in my collection.

DSC_7835-X3.jpg

You are just holding that for me.

This is actually an easy one for me. This is, if not the first SS book I ever bought, was one of the first few. Ms. Marvel 18 has long been my favorite book, and I'm 99% sure that right after I bought it Mr. Cockrum passed away. Jim Mooney had already passed so I knew this was not a book that I would likely come across again. I've later found out that a higher grade Mooney/Cockrum does exist, but this one is my keeper!

msmarvel18mooney.jpg

This book would have to be my favorite - Batman 37 signed by Jerry Robinson

The signature was obtained at NYCC and it was the first time I met Jerry. All the classics were sitting next to one another. Colan, Robinson, Sinnott, Infantino, Fradon, Hasen and possibly Plastino that year. They were all very nice and took time to chat with everyone.

I spent weeks looking for the perfect book and finally located a nice midgrade copy of Batman 37 from an overseas boardie. Book came back graded as advertised and with a lovely signature from Jerry Robinson.

Batman37cgc60.jpg

Until I get another chance at an upgrade the twins are currently my favorites, followed very closely by my 9.6 (if I decide to crack it out in a month or two for SS I am going to be sweating bullets cause I am not sure it will come back in the same grade).

20140429_085631_zps5f5b0f61.jpg

I wonder if Ralph Macchio has ever signed any of these comics

Currently, it would have to be this book:

WP_20131029_004.jpg

I bought the book Raw on Ebay for $100, got it signed by Carmine Infantino during his last con appearance at NYCC before he died, got Neal Adams to sign said book at same con while explaining to me why Batman had pants on even though Ra's was holding another pair in his hand. I then got it signed the following year after I chanced upon a NY Daily News article stating Denny O'Neil would be at a panel at a Wizard World NY Experience show (he was not scheduled officially as a guest back then). I chanced cracking my 9.0 with two signatures to see if he would sign my book after the con. Not only did he sign it, but he spoke to me a bit about his work and what he had planned for the next few months.

Granted, it may not be a 9.8 but it certainly feels like it is to me after everything I went through to get the sigs for that book.

Great minds think alike this was my favorite cover in comics until earlier this year. It holds a lot of sentiment to me because it was the first cover I saw the image of and said to myself I wanted that comic just for the cover. As far as my SS collection goes it was a recreation of that cover done by artist Neal Adams that is my favorite SS comic.

228ad980-cc2a-4ddb-b259-a005b0e3cf5e_zps9f7f97b8.jpg

DSC_7835-X3.jpg

You are just holding that for me.

Haha, that eventually may prove true! You had your chance once!

This is actually an easy one for me. This is, if not the first SS book I ever bought, was one of the first few. Ms. Marvel 18 has long been my favorite book, and I'm 99% sure that right after I bought it Mr. Cockrum passed away. Jim Mooney had already passed so I knew this was not a book that I would likely come across again. I've later found out that a higher grade Mooney/Cockrum does exist, but this one is my keeper!

msmarvel18mooney.jpg

this is epic, though at some point I think I'd crack it for a Claremont, since grade isn't a huge issue.