• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Kirby Piece!!!

7 posts in this topic

Thrilled to have picked up my first Kirby piece. Much of the below description is from Barry Geller.

The Lord of Light Art Series was envisioned and designed by Barry Ira Geller and legendary comic book creator, Jack Kirby, based upon Geller's screenplay. Each rendering was drawn with incendiary brilliance by Jack and inked with devastating intensity by Mike Royer.

Each Kirby architectural masterpiece was created both as a film set design and theme park illustration. Each of the pieces portrays the same panoramic, roving birds-eye view style Jack was famous for, ranging from the power of Captain America and Fantastic Four, to the majesty of Thor and the New Gods. As depicted in Wired Magazine May 2007, prints of the Lord of Light pieces were used by CIA spies to secretly free six American Hostages from Iran in 1979. This was the subject of the recent Hollywood film, Argo.

This example, Faces of the Gods, is one of the original 16 Lord of Lights pieces drawn by Kirby and inked by Royer in 1978.

9CA4DE18-33E5-41AD-9A1B-B04038106ABC_zps52cqd8ac.jpg

If by chance you haven't read Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, you really should. It's one of my favorite books. Be aware that there is a "flashback" about 25% of the way in where Sam sits on a mountain at the end of a chapter and thinks back; the next chapter starts the flashback. The flashback is about 50% of the book. Confusing if you miss it.

Also, Barry Ira Geller's Lord of Light site talks a lot about the movie and its relationship to Argo.