• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #1 Variant Covers (how many)

182 posts in this topic

The Midtown Comics Campbell Variants all had bindery tears, so not too many 9.8's

The reason the book is $5.99 is because they've added a whole issue of one of their MARVEL NOW books. So much for 2-4 page previews comics. They give you two comics for $5.99 (Never mind the fact that you may or may not have had any interest in that bonus issue). I hate that they did that because the book is bulky and can be damaged more easiily.

The issue with the Midtown Variants by J. Scott Campbell is that there's mishandling of the books by the staff coupled with Marvel's use of cheap paper as well as stuffing another whole issue under extremely flimsy covers. When ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN first came out, the cover was a card stock that was nice & thick. It could take punishment. These recent covers are weak. Spine damage and flaying at the corners occur more easily and make 9.8s an impossibility.

Most handling damage is as a result of the Diamond packing monkeys rather than comic store employees. Every week I will open Diamond boxes with hardcovers rattling around with loose comics, destroying them. Also, customers don't always treat books on the shelf that well either. Most store staff are collectors too and as a result know how to handle books. But I agree with you regarding the paper and cover stock, it is pretty crappy.

The Scotty young cover is really nice on this in hand

It won't be worth anything, but I think the cover is nice. :)

You can be banned from the boards for life for talking that kind of nonsense. Valuing aesthetics over investment potential ? On the Modern forum? Are you crazy?

:jokealert:

gamestop's greg horn variant already sold out. just as i got enough points.

Damn that sucks bro. Now you won't be able to sell the raw copy of it, get paid for it. "Accidentally" sent it to get it slab and then put that same book on eBay and shill it up.

doh!

already got a copy, but great joke. A+ material there buddy.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=281321953046&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Not a shill in sight.

Tell us about shills again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1-Alex-Ross-1-300-Sketch-Variant-/281320155410?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item417ffce912

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=281320155410&aid=a***i&eu=&bidtid=1198675402018&view=NONE&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewLink

LmAo

Does anyone else think that having Ramos do the terrible cover art for the normal copy is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy the variants? Not just for this comic, but ASM over in general over the last few years?

Does anyone else think that having Ramos do the terrible cover art for the normal copy is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy the variants? Not just for this comic, but ASM over in general over the last few years?

It could be, except that as bad as this cover is, it's no worse than his normal output unfortunately. :sick:

That's what I said when I saw the cover. I haven't bought any variants, though.

I thought the first issue was a mess. The inhuman story was not necessary.

It should have been call Spiderman presents as there all these mini-stories. I did like the Black Cat story, but #2 will not be on the pull list.

So you liked the Black Cat story, but ASM won't be on your pull list even though it's a continuation of the Black Cat?

It could be, except that as bad as this cover is, it's no worse than his normal output unfortunately. :sick:

And for what it's worth, the interior is just awful. Couldn't have picked a worse artist for this reboot.

It should have been call Spiderman presents as there all these mini-stories. I did like the Black Cat story, but #2 will not be on the pull list.

So you liked the Black Cat story, but ASM won't be on your pull list even though it's a continuation of the Black Cat?

No. $5.99 is pricy for a mini in a comic.

No. $5.99 is pricy for a mini in a comic.

The rest of the issues are $3.99...regular price.

I didn't think it was possible to have a worse cover then the regular cover but i was wrong! Check out the New berry Comics cover.

_12_zpsce953f64.jpg

It has a early 90's feel to it and I mean that in the worst way possible.

I don't know why, but I am strangely attracted to this cover. Glad to see it is unliked, hopefully be able to get one cheap.

I like it too.

No way is it worse than the RAMOS cover. That is is the ugliest thing I have ever seen...

I didn't think it was possible to have a worse cover then the regular cover but i was wrong! Check out the New berry Comics cover.

_12_zpsce953f64.jpg

It has a early 90's feel to it and I mean that in the worst way possible.

I don't know why, but I am strangely attracted to this cover. Glad to see it is unliked, hopefully be able to get one cheap.

I like it too.

No way is it worse than the RAMOS cover. That is is the ugliest thing I have ever seen...

+1 :sick:

The Midtown Comics Campbell Variants all had bindery tears, so not too many 9.8's

The reason the book is $5.99 is because they've added a whole issue of one of their MARVEL NOW books. So much for 2-4 page previews comics. They give you two comics for $5.99 (Never mind the fact that you may or may not have had any interest in that bonus issue). I hate that they did that because the book is bulky and can be damaged more easiily.

The issue with the Midtown Variants by J. Scott Campbell is that there's mishandling of the books by the staff coupled with Marvel's use of cheap paper as well as stuffing another whole issue under extremely flimsy covers. When ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN first came out, the cover was a card stock that was nice & thick. It could take punishment. These recent covers are weak. Spine damage and flaying at the corners occur more easily and make 9.8s an impossibility.

I ordered a bunch and half were damaged, and all have bindery tears. One even had a tear half way down the back cover and a few had creased corners...

I do think that much of it is due to mishandling by staff. I really pay I can manage to get a few 9.8s out of the lot to offset the cost.

I was just thinking that exact same thing as I looked over the sheer volume of variants available.

I'm willing to bet that most ASM collectors are going to opt for a variant INSTEAD of the regular issue. If so, retailers are going to suffer...

The Scotty young cover is really nice on this in hand

It won't be worth anything, but I think the cover is nice. :)

You can be banned from the boards for life for talking that kind of nonsense. Valuing aesthetics over investment potential ? On the Modern forum? Are you crazy?

:jokealert:

I like the Young cover too. Don't like any of his other work, but I have his Superior Spider-Man cover SS 9.8. Gonna pick this one up too. Matching set! :cloud9: