• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #1 Variant Covers (how many)

182 posts in this topic

just to add to the list (I have none of these BTW, what a mess!) there are the two Skottie Young variants of Stan sitting in a chair reading to kids, in addition to the "normal" Young variant.

I think those are just reprints of the first electro and green goblin.

I have to say kudos to Midtown today. I got my Ross Sketch variant 1:300 in and there is almost no bindery tears compared to how I have seen on other covers.

:wishluck: I hope my is the same.

I have never seen such bad work from artists since 90's Marvel. Besides Alex Ross's art all these gimmick variant covers are just trash.

Every single artist (besides Ross) has put forth there worst art on Spider-man I have ever seen.

Anyone who wastes $ on this total garbage should be embarrassed being in this hobby.

I have never seen such bad work from artists since 90's Marvel. Besides Alex Ross's art all these gimmick variant covers are just trash.

Every single artist (besides Ross) has put forth there worst art on Spider-man I have ever seen.

Anyone who wastes $ on this total garbage should be embarrassed being in this hobby.

i actually quite like Opena's, but i agree with the majority of them being bad.

I have to say kudos to Midtown today. I got my Ross Sketch variant 1:300 in and there is almost no bindery tears compared to how I have seen on other covers.

Why is that kudos to Midtown?

They are not responsible for printing defects.

I like Campbell's, but I haven't bought any.

I actually really liked the Dimension X Spidey/Venom/Carnage midair battle cover by Bianchi... (shrug)

asmcov2014001_dc54.jpg

That's awesome, is it available online?

$19.99 with free shipping on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/221429419756

$14.99 on their site: http://www.dimensionxtoystore.com/brand/marvel-comics/amazing-spider-man-1-venom-carnage-bianchi-variant-dimension-x-exclusive.html

Where do you get the two Stan Lee in the chair Skottie Young variants?

I'm not actually sure, but I think it's from "Stan Lee Collectables" (who setup at Cons), but NYComics was preselling CGC SS versions in his SS Announcement thread for Dallas Con Stan Lee sigs.

Where do you get the two Stan Lee in the chair Skottie Young variants?

I'm not actually sure, but I think it's from "Stan Lee Collectables" (who setup at Cons), but NYComics was preselling CGC SS versions in his SS Announcement thread for Dallas Con Stan Lee sigs.

NYComics said almost the entire batch was damaged. And they aren't sure there will be enough 9.8's for those of us who preordered. So shout out to NY they are paying to have them pressed to try and get some 9.8's for us. Appreciate the great customer service!

A follow-up on the Midtown variants (SS #31, ASM #1, ASM 1.1)

I ordered relatively heavy (about 50 copies in total divided among the 3 issues) and about 1/3 of the books were damaged due to a combination of poor handling, poor packaging, and crappy paper quality.

I'm getting replacement copies for most (hopefully all as I'm going to call back this morning to complain about my latest delivery), but I'm not expecting much better. If anything, it's just an additional cost (customs) for books I already paid customs on once.

This is the first and last time I order from Midtown (3 separate shipments with damaged goods). I'm not expecting every copy to be a 9.8 candidate, but when roughly half grade NM- or less there is a problem, especially for books costing me over $20 per pop after figuring shipping, etc... This is what you call taking a bath on a purchase. I'm going to have to work my tail off just to break even.

I wonder how many 9.8s will surface for these 3 variants?

As for mail orders in general? Well, I'm done with them. I've done business with 2 online shops and both produced a high number of damaged books. I guess it just comes with the territory. They pack poorly and process orders so quickly that very little care is given to preserving the condition of the comics. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I have more faith in Ebay when books do not arrive in the stated condition.

I'll just chalk this one up as a lesson learned: 1) STOP speculating on mass produced books, and 2) no more mail orders.

I wonder how many 9.8s will surface for these 3 variants?

The only books I saw in-store with problems were the ASM 1's; the majority had bindery tears ranging from "bad" to "holy carp that's terrible!"

For the SS 31's and ASM 1.1's there were more than a fair share of high grade copies, so I don't foresee a lack of 9.8's for these two.

still waiting on my Gamestop variant...any idea when those are supposed to ship out.

They sent everyone emails on Friday stating they are in the process of shipping i assume it will be another week or two.