• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plea for Interesting Ask CGC questions

92 posts in this topic

If I have to shut your piehole for you

Because the only way you COULD is if you pulled a Cinderalla act but punctuated same with some sugar and spices, a nice crust and the appropriate oven (350F for about an hour depending).

Now CAN you do that? Without the CAN????? (grumble grumble - MAN - the audacity!)

I hate to burst your bubble, but the college that a persons attends does NOT equal a quality education, or that the person attending has the capacity to keep up with the hectic pace of higher education. Also, let's not forget that many people blow off a good opportunity at a "quality" college and drop out due to the desire to party rather than concentrate on obtaining an education.

Spoken like someone who couldn't cut it at a University.

This is not directed to anyone in general, but I'd like to add that attending University does not make you intelligent or ensure you will "get somewhere". I opted not to go to University, and at 24 I've got a bigger bank account(self earned) than most my age who have attended a post-secondary institution .

Andrew, I dig what you're saying. And I'm not directing ANYTHING that I've said at you. But... don't you think that most anyone who didn't go to school full time would have a pretty healthy bank account by the time they're 24 as compared to someone who can only work say, 20-25 hours a week only to turn around and hand most (all) of that money over to the school for those textbooks they hate to read and their tuition so they can attend the classes that make it so they can't work and earn more money so that their bank accounts are just as healthy as their non-scholastic counterparts?

Whoa, that post just swallowed its own tail!

(tale? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

But you see my point?

And I'm not saying that a degree is a guarantee of success. Hell, there was a guy out this way who graduated with EIGHT degrees... and it only took him FIVE years. Hell, the average undergrad usually takes five years to get ONE degree... but I think it would be a stretch of the imagination to think that anyone's jumping all over him to make him the president of their country... Of course, with the economy the way it is (particularly in KC-- Stupid, STUPID Sprint) I think anyone's lucky to have a job they can make a comfortable living with.

I do see your point, and I definetly wasn't posting out of defense.

"don't you think that most anyone who didn't go to school full time would have a pretty healthy bank account by the time they're 24 as compared to someone who can only work say, 20-25 hours a week only to turn around and hand most (all) of that money over to the school for those textbooks they hate to read and their tuition so they can attend the classes that make it so they can't work and earn more money so that their bank accounts are just as healthy as their non-scholastic counterparts?"

A valid point, but from what I've seen around me, this isn't the case. Most people who opt to work full time after High School are likely not able to find high paying jobs(unless connected in some way). And if their parents had no money put away for them, and their bank accounts started at basically "0"(like mine did), AND they lived alone(like I do), it's likely most of their earnings would go towards the essentials like Food and Rent. So I would have to disagree that their bank accounts would be healthy, unless they lived at home and were good at savings and investments.

Also, I might add that our viewpoints may differ slightly because of where we live. I'm located in Toronto, and it's expensive to live here. Our earnings are lower on average than they are south of the border, and our taxes are much higher(we do have to support a "free" healthcare system). Add to that our poor dollar, and this creates an expensive environment to live in. But at least I won't go into debt if I break my leg. blush.gifgrin.gif

Also, I might add that our viewpoints may differ slightly because of where we live. I'm located in Toronto, and it's expensive to live here.

lol I was just about to say the same thing. Heck, here in KC you can still see a movie for $6.00! Granted our "dollar theaters" now charge $1.50...... the bastards.

Apologies to Brian for moving off-topic here, but it amazes me that a high school graduate (myself) can earn double what my wife earns who is a college graduate (Master's) or even in a lot of cases more than someone who has an Engineering Degree or something similar...just makes no sense.

I think everyone is focusing on exceptions. For the most part if you have a college degree you will make more money than if you don't. Exceptions? Sure! But if you take a statistically significant enough sample, I think it is safe to say that it would be hard to prove me wrong.

One little tid bit from labor economics - having a degree and getting a better job is called the "sheepskin effect". Basically it goes that a degree signals to employers that if you could do something well (i.e get a degree) you have a basic skill level to perform other tasks (i.e. your job)

DAM

Ummm...I wouldn't say that. wink.gif Since I work in the Financial industry I get paid on par with other workers in the field. My wife works in Aerospace and that industry is hurting at the moment...though she was never paid much even from the begining.

I'm certainly not saying my salary should be reduced! wink.gif I'm too much of a greedy SOB. grin.gif

Another factor for me is that I don't get any additional benefits at my job...medical, dental, 401k, etc. so my salary takes that into account.