• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

'Gotham' Star Confirms 'No Man's Land' and 'Long Halloween' Arcs This Season (Exclusive)

gotham-long-halloween-no-mans-land-10891

Gotham is taking things back to Batman's comic roots this season, adapting two of the Caped Crusader's most beloved story arcs: The Long Halloween and No Man's Land.

Back in the fall, the Gotham cast and producers hinted that The Long Halloween would be one of the big influences for the season, but nothing from the book has made it to the screen to this point. Additionally, "No Man's Land" was recently confirmed as the title of the Season 4 finale, leaving fans to wonder whether it was a clever Easter egg, or if the Earth shattering story arc would actually play out on the show.

Ahead of Jerome's big episode tonight, ComicBook.com spoke exclusively with star Cameron Monaghan, and he revealed that both popular Batman stories are going to play a part in the rest of the season. He first touched on the No Man's Land situation.

"We're borrowing very heavily from some of the most iconic Batman storylines," Monaghan told us. "I think that they're deep enough, and they show where its really splitting that duality and start totally embracing the main arcs. I think that we did a little bit in season three to bring it into The Killing Joke

"I will say that the second-to-last episode of the season is called 'One Bad Day'. That will be a little bit of an indication of how much we're gonna be ingrained in the books, specifically the No Mans Land storyline. I don't want to say what it exactly is for the people that haven't read it yet, but if you have read it, you know what it is, and the show is going there. And we're picking up the pace in a way that the show has never gone, done before. It's getting real. And the show is going on a different time, and at great speed and at the same time it's also taking us to a level of stakes that it never has before, and we really do see a really epic number of arcs reach their climax and cause an escalation that we've never seen on the show before. Where, if you've seen all these different situations force Bruce into the man he’s going to be and it's going to be challenging him in a way that he’s never been challenged before, both in a grand scale but also in a very personal sense, as well. Yeah, can't wait for people to see it."

This new actress playing Poison Ivy seems perfectly casting for the role. Seductive, dangerous and fanatical over her beloved plants. Interesting what she does with the Lazarus Water.

'Gotham': What Is Project M?

ivy-lazarus-water-gotham-1089260-640x320

Ivy was gunning for Wayne Enterprises because she learned about a secret project that she believed was killing plants around the world. Bruce, under Ivy's spell, revealed that it was all housed under the ultra-secretive Project M.

Lucius revealed that Project M was working with a chemical that didn't kill living things, as Ivy thought. Rather, this new substance actually accelerates cell growth at an alarming rate. He calls it Lazarus Water, and says that it's taken from the pits of R'as al Ghul.

Of course, if you've read Batman comics, you know what the Lazarus Water can do. This substance has the power to bring people back from the dead, a fact that Ivy proves later when she gives Jim Gordon an antidote that saves Bruce Wayne's life. As the episode comes to a close, Ivy is seen mixing the Lazarus Water with her blood, a concoction that kills people, turning their insides into plants.

The effects of the Lazarus Water are obviously the biggest plot point for the episode, but die hard DC fans probably took notice of the Project M name itself.

Definitely my favorite superhero show on television right now.  Probably in the running for best-ever, but I haven't mulled that over nearly long enough to be sure.  hm  The actors playing Penguin, Riddler, and Joker are absolutely sublime and I love every moment they're on screen.  :cloud9:  This is also my favorite version of Alfred by far.

Selina Kyle could use a re-cast.  She looks like Michelle Pfeiffer, but wow, she has NONE of the charisma that Pfeiffer brought to Catwoman.

Edited by fantastic_four

I definitely agree, the actors make this show really great! The casting job is superb! I have had a chance to actually meet most of the actors themselves at cons and they are some of most humble and nicest people. As for this season, Jerome may not be the actual Joker in the series but his take I enjoy more than Leto's in Suicide Squad (just my opinion). 

6 minutes ago, DjMartini said:

I definitely agree, the actors make this show really great! The casting job is superb! I have had a chance to actually meet most of the actors themselves at cons and they are some of most humble and nicest people. As for this season, Jerome may not be the actual Joker in the series but his take I enjoy more than Leto's in Suicide Squad (just my opinion). 

Yea, but I didn't see enough of Leto to be sure.  I'm definitely wondering most of the time whether or not Ledger or Cameron Monaghan is better in the role.  I lean towards Ledger, but it's really hard to tell because it's clear that Monaghan has lifted several elements of Ledger's performance and used them in his own on Gotham.  So I find myself being reminded of Ledger while I'm watching the show more than I end up comparing the two.

I'm being a bit tough on Camren Bicondova as Catwoman given that she was 14 when she started working on the show, but I haven't seen much improvement now that she's 19.  In her acting ability, yes.  In terms of her screen presence, not at all.

Oh, and while not completely a lock, it's more clear than ever that Cameron Monaghan is Joker.  I wasn't as sure a few seasons ago, but I sure hoped he was since he's so good.  Now he's clearly so good there's no way they're replacing him, and every signal they give is that he's the Joker in everything but name.

I'm a little surprised I feel this way about Gotham because two years ago I would groan every time it showed up on my DVR.  The main difference now is Joker, but it's also Riddler, and the fact that Bruce is finally about to become Batman.

The show's producer has repeatedly said that Harley Quinn will never be in the show.  Was he leading us on for a dramatic introduction at some point?  Probably not.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

The show's producer has repeatedly said that Harley Quinn will never be in the show.  Was he leading us on for a dramatic introduction at some point?  Probably not.

I think this show can change things up rapidly if they can build a story around it that makes sense. Especially if the fan demand is large and loud enough. Know what I mean?

He didn't give any reason I've seen for why he was excluding Harley Quinn, so yea, maybe they'll change their mind.  But probably not this season because he just reaffirmed her absence from the show again a few months ago.