• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

I miss Kenny :(

Pretty sure he's tired of people in the forums spreading misinformation, overreacting to restoration, and trashing his profession so he has mostly given up on this place. I don't blame him.

I hope you're wrong, but I really wouldn't be surprised if you're not.

It must be tough - being on both sides of a thing.

On one hand you're passionate about what you do and on the other, there are people who hate it and you have to defend yourself all the time.

I think we need to start taking the restoration craft a bit more seriously. I mean they're restoring King James Bibles and that's ok with the historians.

I think restoring funny books doesn't herald the end of the world.

I'm pretty sure he's just really busy.

2c

(thumbs u

Back in July when someone posting in this thread was spreading misinformation about leaf casting, he PM'ed me expressing his utter disdain for the vein of conversation pervading the forum related to restoration and how he thought it was pointless to even bother posting. He did post later that same day, and he hasn't posted since. Last time I PM'ed him was two months ago and he hasn't even read it yet, so I presume he's just avoiding this place entirely. He might be busy, but his attitude over the last year clearly demonstrates he's tired of the general feeling the forum displays towards his craft.

I hope not.Kenny is a artist when it comes to comics.Seeing results on some of these wrecks is nothing short of stunning.

I for one enjoy seeing the restoration process and hope he pokes his head in soon.

I miss Kenny :(

Pretty sure he's tired of people in the forums spreading misinformation, overreacting to restoration, and trashing his profession so he has mostly given up on this place. I don't blame him.

I hope you're wrong, but I really wouldn't be surprised if you're not.

It must be tough - being on both sides of a thing.

On one hand you're passionate about what you do and on the other, there are people who hate it and you have to defend yourself all the time.

I think we need to start taking the restoration craft a bit more seriously. I mean they're restoring King James Bibles and that's ok with the historians.

I think restoring funny books doesn't herald the end of the world.

I'm pretty sure he's just really busy.

2c

(thumbs u

Been dealing with several family related issues that went from bad to worse in recent months.

As a result I have not kept up with things here like I should.

I basically shut down everything that was a black hole, time wise.

For that I apologize, I have no disdain for this place. :foryou:

And before I cause undo worry, Ellen and Trevor are just fine.

It's great to hear from you, and (I'm sure) everyone completely understands.

Good to hear the kids are doing well too.

Until next time (and beyond) be well :)

I know Mark Zaid posted saying he was in a dialogue with CGC and would post here agaqin, but I have not seen him come back here, did I miss a post?

Mark? what happened to the dialogue? I hope no one tar and feathered you or anything. :foryou:

Nah, they just figured if they waited it out, the problems would just magically disappear, and the boards would lose interest. It's hard to sustain negative emotions over a long period of time, which has happened here. :tonofbricks:

A few posts of lip service to slightly quell the mob seems to have sufficed in this instance.

Anyone see the Don & Maggie JIM #103 CGC 9.4 in Heritage ?

It shows some worrying and familiar characteristics......... :(

Several of the FFs got the treatment. Not quite as severe as with Cole Schave's books, but still noticeable.

FF8.jpg

Several of the FFs got the treatment. Not quite as severe as with Cole Schave's books, but still noticeable.

FF8.jpg

Natural shrinkage, Bob. :eyeroll: Also, its a 1198 submission, just one order after the now infamous 1197's. These books resemble squished banana's.

FF8.jpg

Natural shrinkage, Bob. :eyeroll: Also, its a 1198 submission, just one order after the now infamous 1197's. These books resemble squished banana's.

You're missing a couple of digits ... a 1198 submission would be up to 1000 orders apart from a 1197 submission (and no less than 100 orders).

FF8.jpg

You're missing a couple of digits ... a 1198 submission would be up to 1000 orders apart from a 1197 submission (and no less than 100 orders).

Can we tell what date these were graded?

What did they look like before?

Good question.

Did this book get "the treatment"?

It doesn't look like it was pressed...

Good grief Roy, still trying to defend the work done on these books?

Good grief Peter, I didn't pick up a rock and throw it at the first target! I must be on the dark side!!!

lol

What am I defending?

If a book was damaged through pressing then by all means it should be stopped.

If the book was not damaged by pressing then by all means I think people should stop looking for witches unless they can actually prove it was one.

My question was pretty simple: The Hulk #1 book I referenced looks like it has a Schave treatment - obviously it must, since the interior pages are peeking through to an excessive degree...except the book does not look like it was pressed.

So my question stands: Did the Hulk #1 get 'the treatment'?

My point, if you didn't get it already between mschmidt's question and mine, is that unless you have before or after pics, it's impossible to know if a book got 'the treatment'.

2nd Question: How did the Hulk #1 get such excessive "peek through"?