• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

More doom and gloom.

That is what you took from my post?

...... More Doom and Gloom......

Guess I did not get my thoughts out very well then, if that was your response to my post.

Ze-

So either: Steve's version of things,which is that Chris wanted to leave and the CCG owners are talking about incorperating his new service into their overall business.

or

FTs version of CGC opening up their own "pressing" unit ,with Chris as point man,is correct.

Two very different things,in my mind.The first is understandable,the second is abhorant.Without knowing more,including where FT is getting his information from,I certainly can't make an informed opinion.Is it possible that FTs source is filtering everything in the very worse light,while Steve is using a pollyannaish approach and the truth will emerge halfway.

While certainly not thrilled with Chris leaving under any circumstances,I will await furthur developments with an open mind.

But the issue of -has CGC already engaged in pressing books for certain people is either a yes or a no answer.

I don't think Steve needs to have a press release to answer that question,nor should he wait.

I'm just curious as to what plans any of you have right now in regards to your CGC graded comics. Will you sit tight and wait for more info? Will you stop buying, will you sell, will you stop submitting? In the future do you see CGC playing a different role for your comics? Willing to give PGA a try? Give up graded comics entirely? I'm just curious about how you guys are going to react to this with your own books at this time.

He was nicer to you than I would have been. You should send him a thank you note. confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I AGREE........ In fact, I have several books I bought from FLATINUM PLATINUM on eBay (who has no website or phone number by the way).... Here is the response I got from him regarding a refund on a pressed book:

Hi,

thanks for your email. First of all before I even begin to dignify this email with a response, it would be helpful if you tell me your name, the books you purchased from me, and the date you purchased these books. Upon hearing this information, I would like to know whose professional expertise you used to judge if the books you purchased from me were professionally pressed. Third, I would like to know what would cause you to crack the books out of the slabs after they were certified and encapsulated by the CGC. Fourth, I would like to know if the books you purchased from me had a blue universal unrestored label. Fifth I would like to know how your expert determined that professional pressing had occurred, when the books passed through the detection team at CGC who determined the books were free from restoration ( which would include any detectable professional pressing). Upon hearing this information, I will be able to judge if you are truthful or you are full of $%&*!. If you forward the information to me and it is credible, I will be able to tell if the books you purchased were purchased by me raw and encapsulated, were on consignment with me (thus were encapsulated by the owner), or were purchased slabbed (thus were encapsulated by the prior owner(s)).

My policy has always mirrored the rules of CGC. CGC from what I have been told does not consider undetectable professional pressing of comic books as restoration. If it can be detected, CGC will flag the book as having been unprofessionally pressed and therefore place a purple restored label on the slab of the book with the restoration notes listed on the label. Because undetectable professional pressing of comic books is not considered restoration by the CGC, it is possible that any or all of the slabbed books you have purchased from anywhere and anyone could have or may have undetectable professional pressing done to them. The key word is UNDETECTABLE, because if it was detectable, it never would have made it into a slab with a blue universal unrestored label. It would have been flagged by the CGC and included a purple restored label. If I know in fact that any book I sell has without a doubt been professionally pressed, I have no problem disclosing that information to any potential buyer. My advice to any potential buyer is to CALL THE EXPERTS AT CGC WHO IS GRADING THE BOOK AND GET ANY OR ALL NOTES TO DETERMINE IF ANYTHING WAS DONE TO THE BOOK PRIOR TO ENCAPSULATION. DON'T CALL OR ASK ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T GRADE THE BOOK. IF THERE IS ANYTHING I KNOW ABOUT THE BOOK OTHER THAN WHAT WAS DETERMINED TO EXIST OR NOT EXIST BY CGC, I HAVE NO PROBLEM DISCUSSING THAT INFORMATION WITH ANY POTENTIAL BUYER.

Because CGC does not consider professional UNDETECTABLE pressing of comic books as restoration, I have a standing offer of a $100,000.00 year salary to anyone who could successfully press a comic book into a higher grade which would allow it to pass through the hands of the CGC 100% of the time without the pressing being detected by the CGC. I have yet to find someone who can do this. Because I have yet to find a person who can do this, I refrain from professionally pressing any comic books. My fears are too great that any pressing done would be detected by CGC, be downgraded by the CGC because the pressing would be deemed unprofessional, or would potentially damage the book. All three of these possibilities would cause me to lose loads of money. As far as me personally professional pressing comic books in order to get a higher grade and pass through the hands of the CGC undetected, I only wish I could say yes because I would be an extremely rich man. Sadly I can't. I am stuck with buying books I feel are high grade and sending them to CGC to be encapsulated as is. If others can do it and it has been deemed allowable by the CGC, I say all the power to them.

In summary, if you are a new collector, I would recommend sitting down with the professionals at CGC who can give you more information about what the rules are for grading and submission of comic books through their company. Being a real estate attorney, I know you can appreciate trying to do as much research and homework on the subject as possible before ever spending one dollar on a CGC book. If what you hear is contrary to what your collecting beliefs are, I would recommend stop buying CGC books as the source of the book and how it became to be slabbed cannot be traced.

There is no returns allowed on any CGC graded books, as these books are professionally graded.

thanks,

Jason Ewert

Doesn't this sound like a point-blank denial by Jason Ewert? When I first started reading it, I thought it sounded like he was trying to dance around the issue. But later in the letter, he pretty much categorically denies doing it.

Why would he need to press them? He just has CGC overgrade them... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I'm just curious as to what plans any of you have right now in regards to your CGC graded comics. Will you sit tight and wait for more info? Will you stop buying, will you sell, will you stop submitting? In the future do you see CGC playing a different role for your comics? Willing to give PGA a try? Give up graded comics entirely? I'm just curious about how you guys are going to react to this with your own books at this time.

At this time I on a personal level will cease sending to CGC, sit back, relax and enjoy the holidays and perhaps in the future send to PGA.

My problem with this issue really is that CGC is supposed to be a 3rd party impartial grader.

In the beginning it seemed to be true. But after the years I have heard more and more of their "friendliness." and the likes to really disbelieve that.

I mean, many things in life started out as one thing and led to another. I think they went into it with the best of intentions, but probably grew greedy.

To me, why do they need more business of any nature? It seems to take far to long to get the books back. It almost is as if they are chewing with their mouth full, hands full, plates full, and the pizza delivery man is coming at noon.

Is enough ever enough?

Well I stopped buying 2nd generation slabs 4 months ago. It just didnt make sense to me anymore. The books I was interested in were at a 4-5x multiple of NM guide and I just didnt see the utility in it given what we now know.

I think the thing that irks me the most is that having created the rules of the game, they are not seeking to exploit a dubious loophole. In doing so they are also seeking to exert direct influence on the hobby.

Bottom line the scernio in question has CGC not disclosing certain alteration tactics as resotration and then having a sister company set up specifically to perform those particular alterations to books.

HOW IS THAT NOT CONFLICT OF INTEREST - makepoint.gif

And what really seals the hypocracy for me is their marketing strategy that seeks to put CGC on the pedastle as the last bastion of defense - the cosmic vanguard of the hobby. foreheadslap.gif10_1_111.gif

Bottom line the scernio in question has CGC not disclosing certain alteration tactics as resotration and then having a sister company set up specifically to perform those particular alterations to books.

HOW IS THAT NOT CONFLICT OF INTEREST - makepoint.gif

Please expain how ANYONE can label an undetectable process as anything.How does one disclose something one can't detect.

Where are you getting any information about what Chris's proposed new venture will do?

I've seen no specfics anywhere but an unsigned flyer.

Do you think someone with Chris's skills in restoration would be happy pressing books all day? That must be almost as exciting as the gu who gets to count the pages all day. " ,,,,Set up specifically to perform those particular alterations"..... Where,exactly does this come from?

CGC has said they can't detect it 100% of the time, not that they can't detect it at all. Which is a kinda interesting statement - because it leaves _surprise surprise a lot open for interpretation.

I find it dubious to beleive that there is enough revenue generation in a one man resto operation that would interest CCG bankrolled the operation. Again speculation, but with the rhetoric and lack of information coming out of the CGC camp - which I understand its still a valid assumption based on what we know, or don't know.

Just how profitable does CGC think comics restoration is? Do they really think Chris' subsidiary will be a goldmine for them? And if there is so much dough in it, why does Chris need a partner?

Seems the only surefire way to mnake $$$s in resto is to press 9.2s into higher grades. Because other than that, its all color touch, deacidification, adding pieces etc. I havent seen her bank statements, but somehow I dont think Susan is pulling down 100,000s a year working on books.... is she? So -- If CGC/Chris presses upgrades for customers, just how much can he charge? Can he get a percentage of the increased value? If so THAT would be a real moneymaker - - AND a severe breach of trust for CGC for obvious reasons. They would get a piece of the cation for Chris' company AND a piece for the increased slabbing fees!! Can CGC REALLY be greedy and stupid enough to think this will NOT affect their trust level in the industry??????

so perhaps Chris simply gave his notice and they are trying to make lemonade out of losing their top resto guy by trying to stay in the Chris business as his financial backer. Maybe that's all this is . And maybe Chris will realize he doesnt need CGC to back him if he has to give up 50% of HIS new business. How much can the startup costs be???

Or maybe, he was happy as a clam at CGC and THEY came to him to set up a parallel resto outfit under the CGC umbrella. Again, THAT would be IMO a conflict of interest. This is far different from the Wizard thing. This is like the previous CGC attempt at de-restoration services. When will they learn to NOT seek out business in these ethically questionable areas???

Steve.....I have NEVER......EVER.....rubbed a piece of bread on a comic! sumo.gif

And I'm sure none of your Green River books have been pressed. smirk.gif

The 15 I've had personally slabbed and the other 50 raw ones I own probably weren't. And I can guarantee you they WON'T be! thumbsup2.gif

Well...after a night of sleeping on it, I decided the whole CGC pressing fiasco was it as far as I was concerned. I cannot with a clear mind support a company that doesn't have the best interest of the hobby in it's sights.

As a result, today at the Stuttgart Comic Show I sold off approximately 20 slabs at 20 Euros a piece. Didn't matter the title, grade, or age. That's about half of my slabs. The remaining slabs will either be sold or broken out over the next month (at the next show). I took a major monetary hit on these today but you know...I feel much better about it.

Call me a FDQ all you want...this CGC pressing business, whether it goes through or not, is the worst thing to happen in this hobby since Marvel decided to buy Heroes World. I sure as hell am not going to support them until they get their priorities straight.

Jim

As a result, today at the Stuttgart Comic Show I sold off approximately 20 slabs at 20 Euros a piece. Didn't matter the title, grade, or age.

Cmon bro.. even if you do not like what you see going on, was that really a wise, or necessary move? Be mad, but dont take it out on your poor comics.

Free then from the slab in protest if you want.

Call me a FDQ all you want...

Ok, your a FDQ

Ze-

A few thoughts....

If Chris leaves,who replaces him?

Donovan Elliott? tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

For all those that always argued the CF has the best set of eyeballs in the world, wouldn't this mean that no matter who replaces him, CGC's restoration detection will not be as good as it was before?

Further, just how good is CF's actual resto work? Hammer has been very disparaging of Freisen's previous resto work, but he's not the most objective party on the subject. I've never seen a restored book that was labelled as CF's work, whereas if seen hundreds of books for sale that were labeled as the work of Nelson, Wilson(s), Saril or Cicconi.

confused-smiley-013.gif