• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

I am a high end high grade collector and I buy most of my CGC graded comics off of Pedigree and Comic Link, as well as eBay. I do run a part time business on eBay and a power seller

Anything else you want to know - just ask!

Ok, who are you? What's your ebay name?

Thanks!

Maybe I am completely wrong-but I have yet to see any evidence to the contrary-what I would like to do is get a book, have it pressed-then see what all the fuss is about-right now I have yet to do that...

actually in response to your question about wether or not they post here,

I have actually been trying to get a few of them to come on board-but no offense

seeing as how everyone (and I am to blame for this too-to a lesser extent) treats everyone-they want to stay far away for now....

at least Mike and Rob do, I might be able to get some others involved in this discussion

my eBay name is electrogames

I currently own three companies that buy and sell classic video games, comics and other items

if it has electrogames in the title its owned by me!

I have all rights to that name

anything else???

do you need my social security number, my finger prints, and an eye sc an as well?

If you want to check up on what I'm buying-I bought these recent comics from Comic Link:

Night Nurse #1 CGC 9.2 $250

Hero for Hire #1 CGC 9.4 #500

and from PedigreeComics:

The Cat #1 CGC 9.4 $175

Son of Satan #1 CGC 9.4

I like Bronze and Silver age-I don't buy moderns at all

but I do read modern Batmans

Try this on for size......if you're planning on spending a lot of cash in the next couple of years on comics, then you might do a search and read through some of the many threads on pressing, restoration etc. You might learn something....sounds like you've already made up your mind and I'd say you're just the kind of buyer there's a premium on.

GoldDust gave you a very good answer to your point about pressed comics in piles vs comics pressed artificially, but you ignored it. Maybe you should slow down and get more educated before taking a hard line.

Just some friendly advice. Nothing more.

do they need to be cleaned? If you clean the games with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol-they should work great!

Just let them dry before using them...

the system can be cleaned the same way-just be careful when doing this

Hey.....close down the Water Cooler and lets start a GAMES FORUM! ComicWorm, you're president, and Kilt, you can be vp!

Thanks for the advice, I'll pull out my system again and try that. Don't the batteries in the cartridges die out after years?

no there are no batteries in non save game carts (i.e. games like F-Zero, Final Fight, Star Fox, etc.)

the batteries in save game carts like Zelda, Super Mario World, and Final Fantasy actually last up to ten years or more in certain instances and will still work when the die, you just won't be able to save your games!

I don't mean to sound rude or disconcerning-but to be honest, I like most high end high grade collectors-don't care! I can't speak for all my fellow high end collectors-but I and most others barely even knew about these boards and most of us, me being the exception, rarely have time to look at them let alone post.

I will say-it doesn't bother me at all-I wish him well in his new venture...

I don't see if negatively effecting the market that much-I have heard such and such will cause a "crash", etc. etc. for years now-nothing has happened...

yes-some people are still looking for signs of the end of the world too-quoting the bible everywhere they go...good luck to them and God Bless them....

I'm sorry, but just because you don't care, doesn't mean that you're actually representative of 'high end high grade collectors'. Many of the people hear who object to pressing are precisely that. Many people who I sell to are precisely that, and they certainly care.

You don't care...fine. Your choice. However, the line of thinking that goes 'well I don't care and Billy doesn't care and Joe doesn't even know about it' does not represent the worldwide market. However, I like to think that the board does represent the worldwide market, with all of its nationalities and collecting fetishes...and it appears that there are a whole load of people lined up on both sides of the fence.

And you're one of the ones that don't care. As I said, fine.

However, let me lay out four little scenarios for you, and ask whether you'd care if either of these came to pass...

(1) Ten years down the road, you decide to sell your high grade ASM #1 and the prospective buyer asks that, as it's in a CGC slab, he wants it to be submitted to the highly respected RD&CG company (Restoration Detection & Company Grading) for confirmation that it is what it says on the label. They examine it and slap it with a Restored label...' book pressed'...it says, because they can do that in 2015, because they now have the technology.

(2) You have an ASM #1 in 9.2. It's much sought after when you buy it, and you pay top dollar for it. There's only 11 on the census when you buy it. 12 months on, there's 31. Two years down the line, there's 77. After the ten years, there's actually 571 copies and they guide at $1,200. You can't even sell it for that much, because eBay has more ASM #1s listed every week than Neat Stuff currently manage in total listings!

(3) The people who don't agree with pressing vote with their wallets and get out of the high end market, instead looking around for nice VFs and VF+s. Half the market for a high end ASM #1 disappears almost overnight. Values tumble. And remember, you paid top dollar for yours.

(4) You wake up one morning, feel like checking in with your little baby, pull the slabbed ASM #1 out of the darkened closet...and discover that the spine looks a bit skewed. Actually, it looks a lot skewed. Actually, it appears to have a horrible, pronounced spine-roll that make it look like a rolled-up newspaper. And remember, you paid top dollar for it.

Now, if you're happy and fine with any of these scenarios coming true, then you're fine with pressing. If, however, any of these scenarios scare you a little bit, maybe make your palms sweat just a touch, you need to perhaps consider your standpoint.

But if you still say you're not bothered...fine, that's your choice.

Just don't come back in ten years and complain, because I'll tell you I told you so. tongue.gif

i just can't help myself here - must respond to tho post;

scenario #1 - IF such a detection device EVER comes about, that'll be a beyotch that will then have to be dealt with as there probably are already ton's of pressed books out there.........

Scenario #2; do you really believe that the market acceptance of the pressing of books could so quickly raise the numbers of HG copies of Key books??? you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear..........

Scenario #3 ; can't for the life of me understand why you'd believe that VF and VF+ books would be safe from pressing. FFB has opined many times that he believe's that mid-grade books might be better candidates for pressing and i believe he may have something there. might not be as dramatically lucrative as HG, but where money is to be made, it will be...........

Scenario #4; i believe I know of exactly one documented instance of a slabbed books reversion after it was believed to have been pressed. (i think it was Comiwiz's). not exactly the kind of a database to build a thesis on..............

i personally don't like the impression that this alliance will create in the hobby and have strong feelings about the ethical issues. i would have liked to see CGC's parent walk away from this for the good of the hobby................... frown.gif