• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had a book I bought off the rack come back as a PLOD

523 posts in this topic

Newbie here. But I thought the spine was the left side of the comic. If so, then how can the left edge of cover trimmed (or did they mean left bottom edge or left top edge)? Could it be a factory defect that caused the mis-cut? How did the staple indentation get on the comic (was it switched out with your OO comic - :o ?)? Just asking questions, not pointing fingers or anything like that.

:gossip: right edge according to Bob's post.

I thought it initially said left edge as well.

do you have scans of the book in the 9.0 blue and 8.5 blue slabs?

In all seriousness...before and after scans will be the only way to figure out what is going on.

In all seriousness, Roy, I know exactly what went on.

1. I can guarantee that the book I got back in a purple label is, in fact, my original copy. The scan I have saved is a precise match, plus I can still see the non-color breaking indentation near the top of the spine that I remember from selecting the book for grading the first time, and the faint impression of the CGC paper clip remains as well.

2. I can guarantee that the book wasn't trimmed.

3. I can guarantee that the label is purple and the right edge has been tagged as being trimmed.

4. You are welcome to choose not to believe any of the 3 facts above, and there's nothing I can do to change your mind.

BTW, sorry I missed you in NYC.

Anyhow.

Well there are two possibilities that came to mind...and I was not dis-believing you one bit.

1) someone trimmed the book when not in your possession (not likely)

2) CGC is wrong (more likely)

Perhaps a piece was cut off during pressing... hm

Right edge wasn't pressed. The paper clip impression was at the top of the front cover near the spine. I can guarantee that Matt did not trim the right edge.

The right edge was tagged as being trimmed, not the left edge. :baiting:

You listed left edge, that's what I copied and pasted from your original text... (shrug) That explains it then...Did the grader notes from the previous subs mention anything about a questionable edge?

Well there are two possibilities that came to mind...and I was not dis-believing you one bit.

1) someone trimmed the book when not in your possession (not likely)

2) CGC is wrong (more likely)

Sorry I missed you too this past Friday, Roy. Maybe I could've kept you out of trouble?

After having admitted you've long suspected that trimming detection mistakes work both ways, it ought to be easy for you to believe that the book was mistakenly flagged for trimming.

Did the grader notes from the previous subs mention anything about a questionable edge?

Blue labels twice before, both correct, so this seems far-fetched. I don't have any grader's notes, however, from the previous subs.

I'm just playing devils advocate here...but did you perhaps cut off a piece when deslabbing the 8.5 ???...

Negatory. I open both the outer and inner wells by hand without using scissors.

Did the grader notes from the previous subs mention anything about a questionable edge?

Blue labels twice before, both correct, so this seems far-fetched. I don't have any grader's notes, however, from the previous subs.

My point about the scans was that you could prove it to CGC if you had scans of the book in the holder...not that I was doubting you but what I meant rather was to offer scans to help (ie show CGC) what you are dealing with rather than just use words.

R

I don't know Namisgr at all. But I believe his post 100%. He would have no reason to lie or make this up. It would open him up to some rather unflattering accusations. Let's face fact's here. The CGC has missed micro trimming. Steve Borock would like to get his hands back on that very early Action comic book. He graded it a 2.5 in the early day'sof The CGC. The real grade is either a 1.5 or 1.8!! So they have mis graded book's as well.

Though Steve can't re grade the book. Someone at The CGC would I'm sure re grade the book. If this bok was trimmed. I'm sure Matt Nelson would of seen it and reported it to the owner of the book. So I don't know what happened to this book. But obviously, to me anyway. From what I have read. The evidence is pointing to The CGC missing the mark on this book.

The book is an OO book. It has been slabbed as un restored. Now it is in a PLOD!!!

Either someone at The CGC missed the mark. Or Matt Nelson and the original owner are wrong. I would say that The CGC simply made an honest mistake.

I'd let Matt and possibly a few other experts like Susan C. or Tracey H. to look at the book again. There has to be a logical explanation to this situation.

My point about the scans was that you could prove it to CGC if you had scans of the book in the holder...not that I was doubting you but what I meant rather was to offer scans to help (ie show CGC) what you are dealing with rather than just use words.

R

That makes sense, Roy. Unfortunately, I only have a scan of the book raw, and my word that I bought the book off the rack and never had it trimmed.

No one is saying that namisgr is lying about his OO book. He just said he wanted to discuss his issue.

I'm siding with CGC not catching it. Like the previous poster stated, Matt would've noticed the trim job if there was one.

That's too bad Bob. Aside from being at Matt's was the book out of your posession at any time?

Always had it, except for the 2 direct trips to Sarasota and the 1 indirect trip there with a layover in Texas.

What happened to the labels?

Only one I still have is the current one. CGC should have a record that twice before I submitted an ASM121 and received a blue label both times, but it's only my word that the book is the same one.