• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had a book I bought off the rack come back as a PLOD

523 posts in this topic

The copy of ASM 121 that I bought 36 years ago came back from CGC today with a purple label reading "right edge of cover trimmed". Since I can guarantee with 100% certainty that this book has never been trimmed since rolling off the presses, I was shocked to say the least.

The History

- The book was first encapuslated at Wizard Philly back in '03 or '04, and received a 9.0 blue label.

- I thought the book deserved a 9.2, and cracked it out

- I submitted it for regrading with a stack of other books at a show in '06, to be taken back to Sarasota to save on shipping

- This time it came back 8.5 blue label, now sporting a front cover indentation in the shape of a large paper clip

- I cracked the book out and submitted it to Matt Nelson to have the paper clip impression pressed out (my first press job ever); No other work was done, and Matt submitted it to CGC

- Today it came back 9.0 PLOD, labeled as having the right edge trimmed.

My Position

We've long known that things sometimes work the other way, that is, occasionally trimming has been missed and trimmed books have received blue labels. Since I know with absolute certainty the book has never been trimmed, this is the first instance I know of in which CGC has labeled an untrimmed book as being trimmed.

I called CGC to alert them, and their immediate response was both predictable and somewhat disappointing. The customer service guy was defensive, saying that they can't judge the validity of a submitter's claim that their book sitting in a PLOD is, in fact, unrestored. I totally get this, since they probably get plenty of calls of this nature. To establish that I have no financial stake, but rather simply want to alert CGC to a problem with their restoration detection, I let the guy know that I do not intend to resubmit the book and have no interest in trying to get it into a blue label (i.e., have no financial motivation in the matter). Customer rep took my info and said he'd talk to the grading staff. I have yet to hear from anyone from the grading staff about this case of mistaken trimming.

What I hope will happen from this mess is that CGC will take a close look at my book, in order to try to make further improvements in their ability to distinguish native, untrimmed edges from trimmed ones.

Discuss. (Here is the book in question)

ASM121front2.jpg

ASM121back.jpg

You cracked the same book out three times, had it sent to Matt for pressing....damn you spent a lot of money on that book.

:cry: Yes, indeed. That's the kind of loyalty that one feels to their precious original purchases, especially one with such an indelible story line.

Sorry to hear about this. I've only submitted 3 times to cgc and my with my second submission the customer service person was less than friendly about a situation. I got a better copy in the end , but is was very fustrating as far as the one person I spoke to on the phone.

Let's not lose sight of the issue already. It ain't about pressing or customer service for me. It's about an unrestored and untrimmed book being flagged for trimming.

True I had to complain a little still........

It does make you wonder what criteria they are using to detect trimming and how many untouched books have gotten the trimmed label. I am sure its a small amount , but still.

You cracked the same book out three times, had it sent to Matt for pressing....damn you spent a lot of money on that book.

Turning an OO ASM 121 in NM- condition into a CGC PLOD 9.0 can be expensive.

At least it doesn't have SCS

:roflmao:

do you have scans of the book in the 9.0 blue and 8.5 blue slabs?

In all seriousness...before and after scans will be the only way to figure out what is going on.

Turning an OO ASM 121 in NM- condition into a CGC PLOD 9.0 can be expensive.

:boo::tonofbricks:

Newbie here. But I thought the spine was the left side of the comic. If so, then how can the left edge of cover trimmed (or did they mean left bottom edge or left top edge)? Could it be a factory defect that caused the mis-cut? How did the staple indentation get on the comic (was it switched out with your OO comic - :o ?)? Just asking questions, not pointing fingers or anything like that.

do you have scans of the book in the 9.0 blue and 8.5 blue slabs?

In all seriousness...before and after scans will be the only way to figure out what is going on.

In all seriousness, Roy, I know exactly what went on.

1. I can guarantee that the book I got back in a purple label is, in fact, my original copy. The scan I have saved is a precise match, plus I can still see the non-color breaking indentation near the top of the spine that I remember from selecting the book for grading the first time, and the faint impression of the CGC paper clip remains as well.

2. I can guarantee that the book wasn't trimmed.

3. I can guarantee that the label is purple and the right edge has been tagged as being trimmed.

4. You are welcome to choose not to believe any of the 3 facts above, and there's nothing I can do to change your mind.

Newbie here. But I thought the spine was the left side of the comic. If so, then how can the left edge of cover trimmed (or did they mean left bottom edge or left top edge)? Could it be a factory defect that caused the mis-cut? How did the staple indentation get on the comic (was it switched out with your OO comic - :o ?)? Just asking questions, not pointing fingers or anything like that.

:gossip: right edge according to Bob's post.