• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had a book I bought off the rack come back as a PLOD

523 posts in this topic

You cracked the same book out three times, had it sent to Matt for pressing....damn you spent a lot of money on that book.

:cry: Yes, indeed. That's the kind of loyalty that one feels to their precious original purchases, especially one with such an indelible story line.

this cracked me up almost as much as the original post saddened me.

sorry, Robert. i guess all i can really say is that this sort of thing is bound to happen from time to time. and by "this sort of thing" i of course mean "a tragic, epic mistake"

Hi Bob. I'm sorry to see that your troubles with this book haven't ended yet. I remember chatting with you at the Baltimore Con and then sat in when you showed this book to Matt Nelson. Your paperclip story was heartbreaking enough.. and now this! :o

I hope CGC makes this right.

man...(emoticon shaking head back and forth)

Sad it is...

I lost my conection earlier after making the silly post about book switching and before I could make a more serious comment.

This stinks.

I remember the feeling I had with my lone PLOD, a 9.2 TTA 93.

Supposedly it had a tiny bit of CT on the spine but I didn't see anything. :censored:

Amusing it got a PLOD after you pressed it.

Maybe CGC is changing it's stance on pressing?

:roflmao:

Just trying to add a bit of humor to this mess. :foryou:

I can understand CGC taking the stance that they'd rather err on the side of caution.

Since nobody is perfect (and they are reasonable people) I'd say that Bob has a strong chance of straightening this out.

Obviously CGC also has to be careful how they handle this as you don't want to open the floodgates to every Tom, and Harry now who is going to demand that their PLOD book was an OO book and so I would have handled it in a more subtle manner like talking to Mark Haspel on the phone to eliminate any drama. Having said that, they are reasonable down there and I hope things work out for the best.

R.

I appreciate the comments on hoping CGC will straighten things out with this book, but that's not going to happen and I don't want it to happen. I just want the company to use the book to improve their restoration detection methods.

To do this, they must believe the book is untrimmed, and so I think it's important that I have no monetary stake in their response. At this point, I'd rather have the book in a nice, shiny mylar after coming back still one more time from Sarasota, this time as an educational tool rather than a book destined for a slab.

Why did you even crack it out when it was a blue 9.0 to begin with?

As indicated in the first post, I thought the book was deserving of at least a 9.2. At least, until a paper clip impression magically appeared on the front cover.

What can I say, I'm very attached to the books I bought off the rack, and wanted the label I thought the book deserved.

So, what happened to buy the book, not the label?

Why did you even crack it out when it was a blue 9.0 to begin with?

As indicated in the first post, I thought the book was deserving of at least a 9.2. At least, until a paper clip impression magically appeared on the front cover.

What can I say, I'm very attached to the books I bought off the rack, and wanted the label I thought the book deserved.

So, what happened to buy the book, not the label?

I bought the book, Jim. For 20 cents.

It's the selling that proved expensive. :(

First, CGC under grade it. Then they put a paperclip on it that leaves an indentation. Finally, they label it trimmed. It truly is ironic and I do wish you the best of luck in reaching a satisfactory resolution. However, if you had been satisfied with the 9.0 the book originally received, then you wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Thanks for the chastising, Jim. (thumbs u

The "mess" I'm in and the issue at hand is not how my book has been undergraded, but rather that CGC will occasionally label an untrimmed book as being trimmed. Kind of an eye opener for me and, I suspect, many others as well.

And like I posted before, the satisfactory resolution I'm looking for is to have CGC take the book back and examine it as an example of a "suspect" but untrimmed book. They might learn alot that advances their ability to distinguish native, untrimmed from trimmed books. This "resolution" scenario ends one way or another with my book sitting in a pretty mylar.

You're welcome, Bob. :baiting:

I don't disagree with you and I believe you. I just find it odd that the dissatisfaction of a blue label 9.0 from a twenty cent investment is what brought about all this trouble.

You find dissatisfaction with CGC grading to be odd? Well you'll just have to call me odd each and every time that I get a submission back from Sarasota. :insane:

You're welcome, Bob. :baiting:

I don't disagree with you and I believe you. I just find it odd that the dissatisfaction of a blue label 9.0 from a twenty cent investment is what brought about all this trouble.

You find dissatisfaction with CGC grading to be odd? Well you'll just have to call me odd each and every time that I get a submission back from Sarasota. :insane:

I have noticed a pattern emerging... lol

I do wish you an amicable resolution, Bob. :wishluck:

I find it strange that you wouldn't keep any of the older labels. Are you going to keep this label after you put the comic in a mylar? Did you have a record of the older certification numbers for this book? Perhaps you've entered them in a registry set?

It's most likely that CGC made a mistake about the trimming, but the book does look trimmed.

This paperclip thing? Do you really think that CGC would put a paperclip around your comic book? That doesn't make sense at all. :shrug:

Sad story, but confusing as well.

Andy

CGC would have been able to handle this easier if you'd have gone to them without making this thread. I feel that this thread will cause them huge headaches, especially if a decision is reversed.

It's easier to reverse decisions privately. Not directed at anyone or implying anything negative.

This reinforces the fact that there is NO way to reliably detect microtrimming. Simply not possible. Despite what CGC says, it just isn't realistic.

One could speculate that the persistent badgering of CGC about the Ewert situation has swung the pendulum too far the other way. Now we're forced to deal with untrimmed books being labeled as trimmed due to hypervigilance.

The front & back covers not extending the same degree can easily be explained by the point at which the cover was folded. A 1mm misalignment can cause a very visible change.

And the story about the FF13 would still give me concern. I bought a book from Terry that was "OO" and had been poorly trimmed about 1/4 inch. I'm not saying Terry is trimming, please don't read that into this, but rather that original owners did stuff to their books too.

I just find it odd that the dissatisfaction of a blue label 9.0 from a twenty cent investment is what brought about all this trouble.

alright, i'll bite. your kidding right?

No, not at all. Paying twenty cents for an Amazing Spiderman 121 CGC 9.0 is a windfall.