• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Locating comics and comic collections

Very interested  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Very interested

11 posts in this topic

I'm currently working on a project that would essentially serve as an online resource (I'm not able to discuss specifics at this time).

Among the many people who could benefit from it is the collecting community. The benefits will be mainly to help collectors with a new system of locating collectibles, and that would include comics and entire collections.

I'm trying to guage general interest and performance requirements for the web hosting environment through this poll, so if you have an opportunity, I would appreciate it if you would cast your vote. The poll will go on for exactly a month from the posting date. Thanks to all those who have taken a moment to participate.

If a free online resource were available to help collectors with a new way of locating comics and collections, I would be:

Sounds interesting. Judging by what you've done in the past, you're certainly more than capable of making some highly functional applications. Will this be similar to a "Comiclink" consignment-like website or is it like a network system where people input what they want and the network responds?

Brian

Thanks for the kind feedback Brian.

All I can say that there is currently nothing like this. This is purely an online resource which will allow users to locate items all across N.A. It can also be used to locate specific items such as comic books.

I'm currently weighing out the options for server environments to handle the high volumes of visitors I anticipate would be using the system. I want the performance to be decent enough even though it will be completely free.

An idea I'm throwing around is to do an initial release with a gateway system where users would need to login to use it. The pro's of using such a system would be to allow registerred users the most benefit in using the online resource, and mainly, to reduce system bog-downs at peak times.

If it takes off, then a wider release could occur which wouldn't require any gateway or account registration. Right now, I can afford to use some approximate figures, but as the system gets closer to beta release, I need to have a better idea of requirements.

All I can say that there is currently nothing like this. This is purely an online resource which will allow users to locate items all across N.A. It can also be used to locate specific items such as comic books.

As Brian says, it sounds interesting. Any new resource for locating the books collectors are looking for has to be a good thing. In principle I am definitely interested, but it difficult to say 'how' interested (as per your poll) without more specifics.

As Brian says, it sounds interesting. Any new resource for locating the books collectors are looking for has to be a good thing. In principle I am definitely interested, but it difficult to say 'how' interested (as per your poll) without more specifics.

sorry.gif

I can see your point blowout. Its difficult to get anymore specific. I can add that this will be a buyers resource, and if nothing else, this opinon poll will hopefully give me some insight into collectors buying habits. A sellers component will run as a seperate, but minor part of the overall web-based system. Soft sell aside, if something like this were available, I would be using it every single day.

Interesting concept. I'm not sure if I am reading this right but it sounds like a "wanted" or "want list" site for buyers and a seperate smaller selling option for dealers and collectors. Is that correct?

West

Interesting concept. I'm not sure if I am reading this right but it sounds like a "wanted" or "want list" site for buyers and a seperate smaller selling option for dealers and collectors. Is that correct?

West

Gee if I keep this up, I'll be a few posts away from posting my entire business plan! tongue.gif

Think along the lines of a locator tool Timely.

The main reason why this is so unique is the technology that will be driving it. Its application can easily be universalized (and it eventually will), and doesn't have to be used strictly by the collecting community. In other words, it could very well become a household name.

I also have no fears that anyone can just take the concept and bring it to market because of the inherent cost associated to technological acquisition. I've basically built something on my free time over the course of the last 6 months, that on a similar technological plane would require teams of developers several years to construct. Consequently, anyone taking this concept and running with it would essentially be quashed by the mere reason that I am offering this resource completely free to the user, whereas someone else doing this would have to seriously consider return on investment, and would require some form of fee structure for usage.

I'm particularly keen on doing an early release which will feature a module specifically for the collecting community because of my passion for the hobby, and because I know how difficult, and yet very thrilling, it is for collectors to find that diamond in the ruff. This takes a fresh and new approach to doing this for collectors, with the use of web-based technology.

I hope this helps.

And make sure you guys vote. thumbsup2.gif