• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

How could that disclaimer ever be upheld? Any sale of a comic book is a commercial transaction. Any sale of a graded comic book is a commercial transaction. Essentially that statement is saying that not only can you not sell the notes, you can't even mention them in a sales listing. But those notes established the grade that is on the holder. Part of those notes pertain to the page quality and defects sometimes noted on label. All of those notes go to the grade on the label. That statement then could also be read to mean that any commerce involving a CGC graded comic is expressly forbidden.

Would the grader notes be considered intellectual property and thus be copyrighted? Is there some other way CGC could legally prevent someone from dispensing info that was purchased (grader notes)?

Would the grader notes be considered intellectual property and thus be copyrighted? Is there some other way CGC could legally prevent someone from dispensing info that was purchased (grader notes)?

It is more like the disclaimer that the NFL uses. You can tape the game and watch it in your home, hell even invite some people over to watch it. But don't broadcast it on the side of a building and charge people admission.

The CGC GRADER NOTES DISCLAIMER says:

"The customer may view, copy, print out and use the

content solely for your personal use, provided that the

content is used for informational and non commercial

purposes only.".

mm

It is more like the disclaimer that the NFL uses. You can tape the game and watch it in your home, hell even invite some people over to watch it. But don't broadcast it on the side of a building and charge people admission.

The difference here is that The CGC does not own the content. They are paid to evaluate the content. They are saying they own the evaluation. I agree they may own the process of the evaluation. But I seriously doubt they own the evaluation itself.

The difference here is that The CGC does not own the content. They are paid to evaluate the content. They are saying they own the evaluation. I agree they may own the process of the evaluation. But I seriously doubt they own the evaluation itself.

^^

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Propietary

It will be interesting to see if down the road submitters have grounds for a class action type thing for their part of the revenue generated by their submissions of their books for their grades.

I dont get that people dont get that the notes are a BYPRODUCT of the grade we buy! we dont own the notes, doodles or water cooler discussions about our books while at the CGC!

You pay for a grade. period.

Whatever CGC does internally to decide on the grade is their business and property.... UNLESS you come to terms with the CGC for that info (the notes) and, now -- CGC has told us what the terms will be: $30 bucks and down.

why is this so hard? youre arguing the wrong end of this thing. Its the prices not the concept that is wrong.

the NOTES are CGC INTERNAL MEMOS.

always have been.

I dont get that people dont get that the notes are a BYPRODUCT of the grade we buy! we dont own the notes, doodles or water cooler discussions about our books while at the CGC!

Whatever CGC does internally to decide on the grade is their business and property.... UNLESS you come to terms with the CGC for that info (the notes) and, now -- CGC has told us what the terms will be: $30 bucks and down.

why is this so hard? youre arguing the wrong end of this thing. Its the prices not the concept that is wrong.

always have been.

I agree 100% with Aman, and I believe that sound you are hearing is the hoofbeats of the 4 Horsemen bearing down upon us all.

always have been.

But the notes are a byproduct of property owned by us, which was submitted to them for a fee to be evaluated. As such there is some gray area as to The CGC's right to sell the notes. It is not as cut and dried as you want it to appear. And The CGC could have an expensive and time consuming ordeal ahead of themselves in trying to justify their position.

always have been.

But the notes are a byproduct of property owned by us, which was submitted to them for a fee to be evaluated. As such there is some gray area as to The CGC's right to sell the notes. It is not as cut and dried as you want it to appear. And The CGC could have an expensive and time consuming ordeal ahead of themselves in trying to justify their position.

If you hired someone to cater a meal for you, does that mean that you own the recipes they used to make it?

always have been.

If you hired someone to cater a meal for you, does that mean that you own the recipes they used to make it?

Bad analogy. Please refer back to my house appraisal analogy instead. Thanks.

always have been.

I agree 100% with Aman, and I believe that sound you are hearing is the hoofbeats of the 4 Horsemen bearing down upon us all.

I agree with Aman about 10%. How CGC determines the grade is somewhat their property (to the extent that they have criteria that differs from some sectors of the hobby). And I also agree that the price is exorbitant. But I feel that $1 for the notes is exorbitant, especially on books that I have submitted. Frankly, I would prefer that I have full control of the availability of the notes pertaining to any and all of the books that I have submitted.

always have been.

Nope. Bad analogy, and you know how I hate analogies. But if I hire a home inspector I own the whole inspection.

always have been.

If I'm reading Richards comments correctly, the fact that CGC is monetizing on analysis performed on material submitted by its customers is more akin to a photographer taking your family portrait and later selling it to a big box store as wall art without your permission or sign-off.

The more I think about Richards statement, the more I think the customer should reserve some right to ask that the notes be destroyed, especially if they are being asked to pay an additional fee, or if CGC intends to profit from it.

always have been.

Bad analogy. Please refer back to my house appraisal analogy instead. Thanks.
:o My twin brother from another mother!