• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

BTW: CGC still notates center folds being detached and for the most part a book will be noted with a green label if the book is missing a page. What else do you guys wants them to do on restored books? Do you want them to note to the exact inch where the glue, brittle pages, or color touch is located. Do you want them to call you as well to talk you through the page by page process and give you a blankie with a warm glass of milk to help you cope.

Thanks god it is Friday!

No they don't

I bought a ST from tortoise and he disclosed the detached centerfold but the label did NOT indicate it was detached.

Sorry meant detached cover.

Still CGC downgraded it in their grading scale, and do not feel it is worth it is worth notating anymore as with rusty staples. They downgraded for it so in their minds case is closed.

I also am to the thinking they do not want to clutter up Blue Labels with a lot of notes other than the numerical grade and PQ.

Honestly I feel comfortable saying if someone such as yourself and others on these (BTW) FREE CGC boards really is that concerned with defects that can't been seen or disclosed after a book is CGC graded then maybe it is best for the individual collector to only buy "raw" comics then submit to CGC. (shrug)

Always good to know what you can and can't steal as a web developer. :popcorn:

:o

Blame my favorite author, F. Scott Fitzgerald--I read an essay by him in college where he said that all great men steal, it's just a matter of what they steal and how much they do it. In less controversial terms, he was just trying to say that to push the envelope, you have to study, take, and build upon the greats who preceded you and improve upon their work. Back in those days I aspired to write literary fiction, but since I've become a web developer, and I translate Fitzgerald's same idea into incorporating as many great ideas--and freely-available content itself--into sites I build.

Blame my favorite author, F. Scott Fitzgerald--I read an essay by him in college where he said that all great men steal, it's just a matter of what they steal and how much they do it. In less controversial terms, he was just trying to say that to push the envelope, you have to study, take, and build upon the greats who preceded you and improve upon their work. Back in those days I aspired to write literary fiction, but since I've become a web developer, and I translate Fitzgerald's same idea into incorporating as many great ideas--and freely-available content itself--into sites I build.

Move to Asia. Pretty much from the time they can start to crawl they're brought up to think and do this kind of thing.

yup, there's a great set of videos that cover this topic, "everything is a remix"... that we are all just building on what has come before. short videos, give em a viewing when you have the time

http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

And what did the notes do?

Confirm the grade?

Identify an upgrade candidate?

Identify a perk you don't like?

Bob, with comics, you can't base the decision strictly on what's happening on the front and back cover alone. Whatever the reason CGC decided not to continue noting defects like rusty staples on the label, the notes are the only option left to know what's happening inside the comic.

I'll say it again, as is the CGC label isn't a standalone selling tool. Period.

I have to disagree with you my friend.

CGC is 100% a stand alone selling tool.

That is why people use them in the first place, no? (shrug)

Look we get it you have some defects that you as a collector do not want in your collection, but why do you feel CGC should notate all the defects that personally bother you? If they did that they would be giving out graders notes to again which they do not want to do anymore..

You have this buyer mentality that a dealer should now have to buy the graders notes for them to make a sale. Sorry ain't going to happen. I am all for answering grading questions or disclosing defects that you might have problem with, or letting you return the book after the fact if you bought it from me offline and still have a problem with a defect on the book. However you got no chance I am going to buy graders notes for someone just so they feel at ease with buying an already independently 3rd party graded comic book.

I think you might be more comfortable buying Raw books then as opposed to CGC ones if you really are concerned as much as you are.

yup, there's a great set of videos that cover this topic, "everything is a remix"... that we are all just building on what has come before. short videos, give em a viewing when you have the time

http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

At the risk of stating the obvious, stealing is wrong. The consequences of such actions should function as a strong enough deterant, but in case you were throwing around some renegade ideas of trying to re-purpose content from the web and make it your own, the tracking software identifying misuse and infringement is out there and is only getting smarter and better.

You're call of course, but you'd probably stand a better chance casing and robbing from a maximum security site than trying to steal content online and using it to relive the delusional ideas/suggestions of a deceased author, who may have well have been a recognized and successful writer for his time, but who had a badly distorted conception of what makes men great.

BTW: CGC still notates center folds being detached and for the most part a book will be noted with a green label if the book is missing a page. What else do you guys wants them to do on restored books? Do you want them to note to the exact inch where the glue, brittle pages, or color touch is located. Do you want them to call you as well to talk you through the page by page process and give you a blankie with a warm glass of milk to help you cope.

Thanks god it is Friday!

No they don't

I bought a ST from tortoise and he disclosed the detached centerfold but the label did NOT indicate it was detached.

Sorry meant detached cover.

Still CGC downgraded it in their grading scale, and do not feel it is worth it is worth notating anymore as with rusty staples. They downgraded for it so in their minds case is closed.

I also am to the thinking they do not want to clutter up Blue Labels with a lot of notes other than the numerical grade and PQ.

Honestly I feel comfortable saying if someone such as yourself and others on these (BTW) FREE CGC boards really is that concerned with defects that can't been seen or disclosed after a book is CGC graded then maybe it is best for the individual collector to only buy "raw" comics then submit to CGC. (shrug)

isnt the point of buying a cgc book to know what youre getting and to avoid getting burned. i know there are a few boardies who buy cgc books just to crack them and then read them. i would be highly disappointed if i was one of them and then the centerfold just fell out the book. I understand just buy the book raw but lcs are kinda rare nowadays and shows arent always available to a person. Kinda tough to know what your getting without using cgc

Disney has been known hold a firm stance on preserving the artistic style and integrity of the character, meaning if a 4 or 5 year old drew one of their characters crudely because they draw like you'd expect a 4 or 5 year old might draw, they wouldn't allow it.

That is just so low. If this is true, I mean how pathetic is that.

Disney has been known hold a firm stance on preserving the artistic style and integrity of the character, meaning if a 4 or 5 year old drew one of their characters crudely because they draw like you'd expect a 4 or 5 year old might draw, they wouldn't allow it.

That is just so low. If this is true, I mean how pathetic is that.

Watch the first minute of the video in my previous reply.

Like all businesses, there needs to be competiton.

I cant believe that grading a comic is really that difficult to be good at. Im certainly no expert, but there are plenty on these boards that could.

I actually did, the one about the bakery in Brooklyn that stopped imprinting customer's drawings onto cakes because it became too hard to verify if any copyrights were being infringed on. Makes me wonder if our society is starting to crumble under the weight of it's own politically correctness.

Come on Roy we all know the main reason you are mad is that CGC took away your FREE grading notes priveleges and it is not because you are a collector. :baiting:

off :eyeroll:

No more seeing for free if you can upgrade your book to a bindery tear. :jokealert:

off again.

:foryou:

The main obvious reason why CGC received most of their phone calls on graders notes is people wanted to know if the book is upgrade-able or un-restorable.

Come on guys keep it real would yea.......

Thanks god it is Friday!

CGC does NOT notate detached centrefolds on all books. I had an FF #5 CGC 9.2 come back with no detached centrefold notation on the label. The only reason I knew it was detached was because I submitted the book.

You're undermining all the collectors who care about the inside of a coming besides the covers.

Now go back to your Friday thread.

lol

Look we get it you have some defects that you as a collector do not want in your collection, but why do you feel CGC should notate all the defects that personally bother you? If they did that they would be giving out graders notes to again which they do not want to do anymore..

You're missing the point. What he is saying is that the label alone (grade and page quality) are not enough to describe the condition of a comic book to the collector who is interested in the entire comic.

Fascinating retort, John. No offense, but you have a very hard time accepting that others might be telling the truth if they disagree with you. You might view graders' notes as being accessed solely for upgrade potential. Others have told you they don't. You either don't believe them or discount them as a miniscule portion of people calling for notes.

I'm not sure there are a lot of people complaining about them not giving them for free. The people complaining fall into different camps: 1) CGC is now profiting off something the submitter/owner believes belong to that person. 2) The price is too high.

For the record, I enjoy when you're making your own statements, like in the last few posts, and not acting a mouthpiece for others, like previously in the thread. It's easier to point out the flaws in your argument. Show some respect for people who disagree with you on this issue. They're not bad people for just that reason. They don't need to be talked down to.

Move to Asia. Pretty much from the time they can start to crawl they're brought up to think and do this kind of thing.

You're misunderstanding--Fitzgerald nor myself "steal" what isn't freely available. I don't take copyrighted stuff--if I did, I wouldn't have the interest I do in copyright law. Never seen an artist who didn't "steal", i.e. have influences. When it comes to graphic or web design, there are TONS of freely-available/open-source things for us to "steal", and beyond content, an infinity of techniques and design ideas to steal.

Guys, put your money where your mouth is.

Steve Eichenbaum, CEO of Certified Collectables Group.... you have mail....

steve@ngccoin.com

(I hope I have the correct email) :shy:

You're missing the point. What he is saying is that the label alone (grade and page quality) are not enough to describe the condition of a comic book to the collector who is interested in the entire comic.

Then that collector needs to either only buy raw books or submit raw books to CGC themselves for grading rather them buying a comic already graded if they are that concerned

CGC has decided that if you want to know why they graded a book an 8.0 then you have to pay to know. Some would counter that argument saying, but isn't that what you did when the original submitter sent in their comic books? No, you paid them to check for restoration, page quality, and to assign a numerical grade. Sorry not to tell you how they came up with the grade

Again I never understood why they even gave out their trade secrets for past 12 years to the general public to begin with. They still shouldn't be even for money......keep that info a trade secret.

If Matt Nelson or Joey presses your comic books they do not tell you how they did it as they just perform the service and move on the the next one.

You're misunderstanding--Fitzgerald nor myself "steal" what isn't freely available. I don't take copyrighted stuff--if I did, I wouldn't have the interest I do in copyright law. Never seen an artist who didn't "steal", i.e. have influences. When it comes to graphic or web design, there are TONS of freely-available/open-source things for us to "steal", and beyond content, an infinity of techniques and design ideas to steal.

I think projects like creative commons have merit, especially for the type of thing you're trying to describe. But the word steal means something completely different than the word influence, and whether it's a musician, entertainer, athlete or artist, they would never make the mistake of using the word steal to describe their esteemed views or reverence for people that helped them become who they are.

I didn't call of notes often, but there were times when I wondered what I was missing based on the grade given and did call.

There are better ways to handle this kind of service and still profit.

As the new system stands, it's outrageous :mad:

CGC please consider your actions.