• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone use these when handling comics?

11 posts in this topic

Just found a old box of these on a shelf at work. Wondering if anyone uses these when they handle comics. They are cotton insle inspection gloves, designed to minimize contamination of products from human hands, 100% cotton.

20140501_131927_zpst21zffb_edit_1398965209639_zps4k7bfeu5.jpg

20140501_131938_zpsyguipgrv.jpg

I used to wear similar gloves when handling my comics, but I no longer do.

I've read a few articles lately from conservationists that have swayed me towards going with just bare hands with frequent hand washing. Two issues....1) gloves decrease feel/dexterity when handling the pages, which increases the risk of rips/tears/etc.; 2) dirt/oils from your hands can seep into and through cotton gloves, so, ironically, the gloves can actually themselves become grime carriers/transmitters.

There are times when I've seen people (who may naturally sweat a lot, or were nervous) holding a book that I wish were wearing them, but generally I don't prefer to. For me, the loops of cotton will try to snag a loose chip, or create a new one, etc. It might be OK for a very highgrade book with no such issues.

All in all I much prefer to wash my hands before handling any given book if possible. At a con, having some alcohol wipes, etc. handy would be nice to discreetly wash your hands after gobbling your lunch, before handling a dealer's stock.

Mostly though you'll see the wiping of hands on jeans, which I suppose is better than nothing.

I admit I'd probably find it a bit odd if someone wanted to look at a dealer's book at a con, and put a pair of these on first.

I wear gloves when handling black covers - I also mark the comic on the backer board identifying it as a black cover so if I pull it out, I don't leave a thumbprint when I am removing it from the bag.

What about latex gloves? I do this at home when I'm going to handle at least a few comics.

Latex is not a bad idea. I've used when handling glossy covers, etc. You still give up some tactile touch but not as bad as cotton would be.

In particular, get powder-free -- and if you have latex allergies they come in neoprene and the like.

Mostly, I like the latex gloves when using a brand-new mylar, and inserting book and a nice fresh archival backing board (the above from good friend and forum members, hotflips.) It keeps fingerprints and dust and such on the open edge of the mylar itself away. Then that whole assembly goes into a mag bag (I rarely take books in and out of their mylars, total cover geek I suppose.)

(It's just a little OCD, I grant you.) I only do this with brand-new mylars; those that are "used" a bit are still serviceable, but not handled with latex gloves.