• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mickey Mouse Magazines!

37 posts in this topic

For some time now I have been meaning to seriously start picking up Mickey Mouse Magazines. I feel they are historically Incredibly important and don't cost too much for what they are (Except for the first several of course...) I have been of limited budget lately, but finally lucked into a scenario where I was able to trade some mid grade bronze comics for a decent pile of them (and hopefully 3 more next week 893crossfingers-thumb.gif). The thing that I liked the best was these are later run issues, and some I almost never see for sale. I was hoping some of you with more knoweledge (Calling hkp!) then I about these could help me with the relative difficulty of some of these later run issue compared to the rest of the run. Also I find it strange that Carl Barks turned in some donal duck illos 2-3 years before Four Color #9, yet no one seems to mention that. I know they are just illos, but I think thats pretty neat to have these early examples of the Man warming up on donald.

The cover on this one is just Great, & I love the expression & flying hat on donald. One of the nicer books of the pile. I need to track down some wonder bread, it should help all of these.

653024-mmv5n1.jpg

653024-mmv5n1.jpg.46566194d6b17118828575fedd82cb3a.jpg

I could never leave horror! I have been collecting old disneys off and on for over 12 years. I go in waves when I burn out on horror, I'll spend a few months buying Disney or other cool books, like neal adams batman. Then back to horror. I love comics so much I could never stick to one genre. I traded some X-men in the #95-101 range in VG to VF shape and a few odds and ends, so I have no problem doing that!

I have been of limited budget lately, but finally lucked into a scenario where I was able to trade some mid grade bronze comics for a decent pile of them

Damn if this is true you practically stole them from this poor seller laugh.gif mid grade bronze for these comics... 893whatthe.gif

Really nice books; I believe those latest books from vol 5 are very rare. (your 10 and 11), anyway hkp probaly knows more about these than anybody else so we'll better wait his opinion.

Also I find it strange that Carl Barks turned in some donal duck illos 2-3 years before Four Color #9, yet no one seems to mention that. I know they are just illos, but I think thats pretty neat to have these early examples of the Man warming up on donald.

This would be MAJOR news if true. However I'm 99.9% sure they are made by another artist. (What makes you think they are by Barks?)

I have never owned MM Mags, so it would be really interesting to see those illos if you can scan them somehow. If I can see them I can tell if they are made by Barks.

Believe it or not, they were from lone star comics! I always check to see if they get any in. They have never had any of them for years. Then last week they listed about 15 of them. I managed to get a decent amount, the others are all gone now too, someone else picked up most of the rest. I am waiting to hear from them if the last 3 were in stock when I picked them. I often send them trade and I had enough to get about 10 of them.

As for the barks mention, its a foot note in the bottom of the listing in overstreet. They have been reporting it for at least 10 years. Its not in the issue breakdowns though, has no one noticed? Even a tiny Wolverton text illo will get a singled out mention in a horror comic. These are pretty well realized drawings. I am a little afraid to bend the mag to get the scan though...

Shiver: great to see you get into these. You got off to a great start, too: I've seen fewer copies of V5#9-11 for sale than any other issue outside of the first year (which I'd rate the rarest). I suspect it is because these are vastly undervalued in the guide (more so than any other issues in the entire run) so noone wants to sell. V5#10 and 11 are the only two issues I am still missing. If the back cover of your V5#10 is as nice as the front, it is a real treasure: the best Duck covers consistently bring more than the other issues (everyone asks for these when I sell MM Mags). IMO, V5#10 is the 3rd most valuable issue from the last 4 years and I suspect you would be pleasantly surprised if you were to list this on eBay some day. The V5#1 is nice too (again, Duck covers bring more). While I have a near complete run in VF up from the first 4 years, I only have 4 high grade copies from the last one: V5 in FN up is simply never offered for sale. The issues from V4#12 on are nice because the paper usually is much better preserved. If you start buying earlier issues, paper quality is just as important to ask about as the technical grade.

Thanks for the info Hkp! Thats great news, i suspected as much on those comic sized ones. The V5#10 has a bit of a reading crease on the back running along the spine, I don't grade it higher then VG+ because of that even though the front looks more like a fine. I am happy though it was one of the few without the sub crease! I have had a V3 #8 for about a year, but hadn't had much luck finding any other ones in decent enough shape at a decent enough price.

Could you please tell me what you think the 2nd most valuable of the last 4 years is? I would guess its the Mickey Santa cover, but I really don't know. What other ones should I look out for as being more difficult. Its going to take a long time, and most will probably be in the GD-VG range, but I'd love to get the run in time. Thanks again for your help!

Shiverbones,

While the Mickey Mouse mags are not something I'd look for, they are very nice - I like to see collectors with broad and disparate tastes in comics. The medium is much too rich and varied to limit oneself to just one era or genre.