• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape and OA

5 posts in this topic

I have a 2 page spread where the artist (or someone) used clear 2" tape on the back to hold the two pages together. Is that a problem and should I try and remove it?

Kinda nervous to try and take it off without possibly damaging the piece since it seems to be stuck on pretty securely. Also, would you replace it with archival tape or just leave them separated?

You could try to remove it, by heating the tape with a hairdryer to loosen the glue. But after removing the tape, you will have lots of residue left behind. You can carefully remove the residue but it's very painstaking and could damage the page.

I would just leave it be.

Tape will over many many years stain, and the stains will come thru to the face of the artwork. i would say you can use acetone on a q-tip and this will soften the glue to remove the tape and you can then remove the glue with a clean q-tip and acetone.

Do not use too much as some markers will react to the acetone.

Experiment on a scrap pice of paper with tape to see how much you need and take your time, give the acetone time to work.

Just my 2¢'s