• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

^nice potato stubs(feet)!lol so i got a good question which artist in comics draws feet the best and which artist is the best at being anatomically correct(draws peoples body right lol)??

Best foot ever...

tumblr_mf6yhatKun1rcp7bmo1_500.png

Same here.

Spider-man had its ups and downs throughout the years, but the style of the book and the consistency of the characters had remained recognizable throughout my life.

Suddenly Peter was married to a Super Model, had a new career, and the art, which I originally found to be exciting and new, actually started to somehow detract me from even reading the story. I continued on through Larsen, struggling to read those stories as well, but the final straw for me was buying Spider-man #5.

It was Part 5 of McFarlane's first story arc in the new Spider-man book and I finally forced myself to read them all back to back. I was so unimpressed, I quit collecting Spider-man right there and then.

I'll always have a fondness for the character. But Marvel changed during that time. Style became more important than substance. The artist was more important than the story, though NOT the ART. The actual artist.

Even today, people speak of the 90's, not in terms of really great stories, but in terms of sales numbers, and celebrity artists, and the corporate battles.

It was an ugly time for comics and it led to Marvel almost destroying the entire system out of greed.

If Liefeld and McFarlane were innocent bystanders in the process it'd be one thing. But those two knuckleheads milked the dummies as hard as Marvel did, and battle for market share, as well as the copying of their style led to some of the ugliest garbage ever made.

Yeah? Aside from Paty Cockrum...I like all those artists a lot more than McFarlane. I'll take Frenz, Layton or McLeod any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I personally like Liefelds art. I think he definitely has his own style. I think it's possible that people assume that he cannot draw anatomically correct, instead of assuming that he draws like that on purpose, because that's his style, and that's how he likes to draw. In other words, maybe the long legs, lack of detailed feet, and disproportional body parts are intentional, not because he's incapable of drawing otherwise, but because that's how he likes to draw his characters. I could be wrong about that, but just because someone chooses not to do something, doesn't mean they are incapable of doing it. Some of my favorite guitarists choose not to play difficult solos in their songs, even though they can shred like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Call it odd, call it bad art, call it whatever. I'm not an artist, so I cannot accurately judge Liefeld's work from an artist perspective (and maybe that why I like his art), but I am comic book fan, and I can say that I find his art to be entertaining. I also don't need to take into consideration the type of person someone is, or the politics attached to that person to admire their work. There's a lot of musicians, actors, and other entertainers who I may not completely respect on a personal level, but that shouldn't necessarily get in the way of me appreciating their artistic accomplishments, though I can understand why people would feel turned off by Liefeld's work If he treated them rudely.

All in all, Liefeld is an easy target, and people wont hesitate to take advantage of the bashing opportunity when it arises. Ironically, there are some mainstream artists who I personally think are disgustingly awful (much worse than Liefeld), yet they will never get the amount of dirt Liefeld does.

I'm going to post attach this pic again in case It was missed. I actually think this is my favorite drawing of Deadpool.

Deadpool_Vol_2_1_Liefeld_Variant_zps74a303e0.jpg

I find it interesting that your favorite Deadpool drawing by Liefeld looks the least Liefeld of anything I've seen him do. It's fairly obvious ( to me anyway ) that whoever "painted" the finished piece, fixed a lot of things along the way.

What can I say? This depiction of Deadpool is a major improvement from his NM 98 debut, IMHO. Btw, I didnt say It was my favorite. I said I think it's my favorite. There's some other Liefeld Deadpool drawing which I like, probably just as much, and they look much more "Liefeld-ish".

What do you mean, "whoever painted the finished piece"? I assume you're referring to the Colorist?

Yes, it looks like the colorist fixed a lot of things on that piece.

Weird. This info was taken from Marvel.com (in regards to this book)...

Cover Information

Penciller:

Rob Liefeld

Colorist:

Rob Liefeld

Is that just a screw up on the Marvel website? Clearly, the cover has Caprottis name on it.

Anyways, could you point out some of the things that have been fixed? I really do have an untrained eye when It comes to that kind of level of artwork, but I would like to know what mistakes have been covered up. Thanks!

The anatomy, hands and feet don't look like Liefeld.

Nor the teeth - some of the Skrulls have actual canines.

-slym

woah!this thread has become crazy lol!But hey I got another question how much does a CGC SS Rob Liefeld signature go for?GPA? hmlol

It's the Tuesday "Friday" thread. If it makes it to Friday, watch out!

:ohnoez:

Also, a CGC SS 9.8 NM #100 Rob Liefeld sig is just under $200. For a #98, we are talking almost $600.

-slym

^lol this is really tuesday "friday" thread!so where does Robs CGC SS Signature compare to maybe a John Bryne or Frank Cho sig in price range would you consider Rob's is higher or lower?GPA

^ :fear: good god I knew this one was coming! doh!

around here this topic is akin to asking people what Hitler's greatest achievement was

Hitler had one. the People's Car - or the Volkswagen Beetle. I can't think of one for Liefeld.

^ :fear: good god I knew this one was coming! doh!

around here this topic is akin to asking people what Hitler's greatest achievement was

Hitler had one. the People's Car - or the Volkswagen Beetle. I can't think of one for Liefeld.

Hitler was actually a good artist, probabily better than Liefeld

dog1.jpg