• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

I agree that the first five issues of the McFarlane Spiderman series were awful. I remember thinking that they managed to stretch a one issue story into five issues.

I was speaking mainly about the ASM issues, which I felt were way better than most of the issues in the three years previous. Thinking back, it was mostly the writing that made those three years awful, rather than specifically the art.

I remember getting my subscription books in the mail, hoping for a Hobgoblin appearance, and then getting Spider-kid, or Frog-guy, or the Beyonder garbage, Slide-guy, etc, etc. It was three years of completely forgettable one-shot villains, with about six decent issues total.

McFarlane started and three issues in we got Venom.

I continued on through Larsen, struggling to read those stories as well, but the final straw for me was buying Spider-man #5.

It was Part 5 of McFarlane's first story arc in the new Spider-man book and I finally forced myself to read them all back to back. I was so unimpressed, I quit collecting Spider-man right there and then.

I'll always have a fondness for the character. But Marvel changed during that time. Style became more important than substance. The artist was more important than the story, though NOT the ART. The actual artist.

^ :fear: good god I knew this one was coming! doh!

around here this topic is akin to asking people what Hitler's greatest achievement was

Hitler had one. the People's Car - or the Volkswagen Beetle. I can't think of one for Liefeld.

Hitler was actually a good artist, probabily better than Liefeld

dog1.jpg

BAZINGA

It was Part 5 of McFarlane's first story arc in the new Spider-man book and I finally forced myself to read them all back to back. I was so unimpressed, I quit collecting Spider-man right there and then.

You just forgot to.....rise above it all!

:whee:

I agree that the first five issues of the McFarlane Spiderman series were awful. I remember thinking that they managed to stretch a one issue story into five issues.

I was speaking mainly about the ASM issues, which I felt were way better than most of the issues in the three years previous. Thinking back, it was mostly the writing that made those three years awful, rather than specifically the art.

I remember getting my subscription books in the mail, hoping for a Hobgoblin appearance, and then getting Spider-kid, or Frog-guy, or the Beyonder garbage, Slide-guy, etc, etc. It was three years of completely forgettable one-shot villains, with about six decent issues total.

McFarlane started and three issues in we got Venom.

I continued on through Larsen, struggling to read those stories as well, but the final straw for me was buying Spider-man #5.

I'll always have a fondness for the character. But Marvel changed during that time. Style became more important than substance. The artist was more important than the story, though NOT the ART. The actual artist.

Here is one of the highlights...the single best Punisher cover of the title after #129:

24985-2127-27783-1-amazing-spider-m.jpg

A perfect cover.

I'm still not swayed that RabidFerret is not Rob Liefeld.

Haha, nah, just someone who appreciates his work from the early 90s.

Not saying I dig his current stuff. Not saying I don't think he's done some horrible things in his career(poaching artists, not hitting deadlines, not improving as an artist, etc),

But when he first arrived? He was unlike most of what was in comics. He created a clone army singlehandedly and was the poster-child(good and bad) for comics. If you grew up in that era there's no way you didn't admire him. A young 20 year old kid drawing one of the top selling books?

You can hate him now, but back then he was quite impressive.

Oh, and thanks to all you haters, it just makes his work that much more affordable to buy:) You guys can mock me all you want, but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank:)

i grew up in that era...i had zero admiration for Robert Liefeld

I bought Youngblood #1, that's the only Liefeld comic I ever purchased. Pretty sure I got it after Wizard Magazine promised it would be the best comic ever. It wasn't. But I did own some New Mutants that came in large comic bundles from Costco that my grandma used to get me.

What have you done to make your opinion more valuable than others?

And you keep saying "most comics" as if you've came even close to reading a fraction of a fraction of comics on the market. When you say "most comics" you really mean most comics from within a single genre and a single publisher.

Wow, way to twist my words into a completely different argument:)

I've never said my opinion was more valuable - but at least I have my own and am not just repeating the same tired old memes and cliches.

What I have repeatedly said since post 1 is that this thread devolved into people bashing one specific artist they all enjoy gangraping - on a thread that was intended to discuss his best work.

I do quite love how you apparently know all the comics I've read, what genres, and what publishers! That's an impressive trick! I'm clearly dealing with some bright folks here.

I bet I have a better idea of the comics a Liefeld megafan from the 90's wasn't buying than you have regarding the authenticity of my opinion. Edited by dupont2005

I was simply pointing out(again and again and again) that the vast majority of artists make the same mistakes(bad feet), cut the same corners(minimal backgrounds), and deliver work that isn't at a professional level(bad perspective, bad deadlines, etc).
I don't disagree with that, I just happen to think the vast majority of comics suck. Including Liefeld comics, but definitely not limited to them.

Obligatory to my Liefled rants:

Rob Liefeld's tweet about his DC editor's tiny pecker after he quit working for them last year reflects his consummate professionalism in the industry.

Repackaged ideas and concepts to create knock-off characters like Agent America that was so close to Captain America that Marvel threatened him with legal action. THEN, wanted to buy the rights to Kirby's and Simon's Fighting American character - but deciding it was too much, so he just created a rip-off character to dilute the identity and pressure the rights holders to sell it for cheaper. [ LINK ]

Written Image checks to cover personal expenses and pay bills for his non-image publishing venture Maximum Press. [ LINK under 'Departure from Image' ]

Creating an X-Themed comic team for Malibu Comics while working for Marvel, only to stop production on it after he was threatened with being fired? [ LINK from Sean Howe's 'Marvel Comics: The Untold Story' ]

Copying art/panels from other artists and not giving credit (to Byrne or Perez for instance)or passing it off as his own? [ LINK from Peter David's blog ]

Head hunting and stealing Image artists along with using Image staff to do promotional work for his own (non-Image) publishing company? [ LINK under 'Departure from Image' ]

Additional links provided by aggr1103:

Liefeld Kickstarted a Brigade relaunch last year - and it still hasn't shipped.

He's on his FIFTH colorist for the Brigade book

He expects it to be done by JUNE OR JULY - it was funded almost 11 months ago

He admits to producing ZERO comic work in 2013

Thanks to aggr1103 for adding to my list of points to make about Liefeld. Honestly, I can understand the concept of separating the man from the work - but how could anyone possibly stand up for this person's work once they have read the facts?

If the publishing world had a Hall of Shame like we do, Rob L. would be on the list in bold and screaming bright colors.

You just forgot to.....rise above it all!

:whee:

lol

And that ASM cover is awesome b/c it's Zeck. And he was always great (IMO).