• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

Paging Frank Miller 'death of Elektra' page...

Is that the double-page Ronin swipe, or am I getting confused? hm

The one with Bullseye casually putting on his coat and following Elektra to Matt Murdock's house.

The issue I particularly criticized when i wrote that review twenty years ago it’s this one (I recalled #5 but is actually #3).

Basically, there is nothing right on this cover, starting from perspective, and although the layout choice could have been interesting, the rest does not work.

For example: you have to figure out whether Shatterstar has been reduced by Hank Pym's portion, given the proportions he has compared to the Juggernaut, given he’s about the size of one of his arms.

One could argue the cover is "surrealistic", like that one where the Dark Phoenix embraces the X-Men logo, but that is clearly not the intent here. :(

X-Force_003_Vol1991_Marvel__ComiClash.jpg

The one with Bullseye casually putting on his coat and following Elektra to Matt Murdock's house.

Oh, you want an example of good storytelling.

Oh, you want an example of good storytelling.

Yes, a good visual of that to contrast bad storytelling (as RMA suggested by taking the word bubbles out of the equation).

i 100% believe that this is what happened though, i have yet to see anybody show any examples of his "quality" work

So what determines "quality" work? Your opinion? Perfect accuracy to human anatomy? I flip through much of his work in X-Force #1 and think it's absolutely amazing. It's bold inking, it's enjoyable storytelling, it's fun action, great pacing...but no matter how clearly I point out the good or quality things, people will invariably find things to nitpick no matter what.

Here's my favorite page of the book.

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

It's a great action page, great focus on the main characters, the inking is great, it moves the story forward. But plenty of people here will likely rip it apart for the sake of ripping it apart.

For me great artwork tells a story, like RMA said you should be able to tell what is happening with just the artwork.

Pages should have balance and flow, the compositions should lead your eye across the image, Liefeld's overuse of splash style imagery and poses doesn't do this at all.

His negative space is awful and does nothing to add to the pictures.

I'm laughing so hard, tears are rolling down my face...

lol

Yes, Rob Liefeld created a character called "Forearm"...

lol

What's next?

"Handprint, Thumbnail, Fibula, Quadricep, Femoral Artery...ATTACK!!!"

i'm confused...so you know he's a bad artist?

I agree with much of what's said here - he is lazy, he does steal poses, he does miss deadlines, and he's been known to be a jerk at times, steal artists from other studios, etc. And I'm personally not a fan of his current work.

The complaints about anatomy, feet, and long legs are stylistic choices he makes and I forgive those the same way I don't criticize Kirby or Mignola or Lee for their choices.

BUT, what I am saying is that I loved his prime work from the early 90s and think people should at least give him his due for the quality work at his peak. His work circa X-Force #1 was unlike anything else in comics and was popular enough to establish a clone army trying to mimic his success.

The attitude that he was horrible at every moment of his life, never had any talent, that he somehow magically coasted by on luck, and that millions of people were duped in the early 90s is downright silly.

Give the man credit for the quality work.

Most refuse to see any difference.

The first step to Liefeld recovery is realizing he's no longer the artist you thought he was.

The next step is realizing that he never was.

You're half way there.

I agree with much of what's said here - he is lazy, he does steal poses, he does miss deadlines, and he's been known to be a jerk at times, steal artists from other studios, etc. And I'm personally not a fan of his current work.

The complaints about anatomy, feet, and long legs are stylistic choices he makes and I forgive those the same way I don't criticize Kirby or Mignola or Lee for their choices.

BUT, what I am saying is that I loved his prime work from the early 90s and think people should at least give him his due for the quality work at his peak. His work circa X-Force #1 was unlike anything else in comics and was popular enough to establish a clone army trying to mimic his success.

The attitude that he was horrible at every moment of his life, never had any talent, that he somehow magically coasted by on luck, and that millions of people were duped in the early 90s is downright silly.

The first step to Liefeld recovery is realizing he's no longer the artist you thought he was.

You're half way there.

Do we need to do an intervention....?

hm

I understand that taste in art is subjective. What I don't understand is how anyone can look at his work objectively and call it good.

No one can, which is what makes this guy's overemotional, uberdefensive posturing on behalf of Liefeld so fascinating...

:popcorn:

I'll quote myself: "This whole hobby is propped up by man-children who grasp at their nostalgia like dying breath."

You're half way there.

His old stuff was better?

heh

I'll quote myself: "This whole hobby is propped up by man-children who grasp at their nostalgia like dying breath."

Anyway – it‘s not always nostalgia (at least not just that)… ;)

And when it is it could be of the good kind as well!

The last thing anyone should do when defending Rob Liefeld's work is to actually provide an example of that work.

When I was a kid, I remember quite clearly picking up this issue of What If

affzac.jpg

What's hilarious about this cover, is that if there were any question as to whether Wolverine's head coming out of his left shoulder was an illusion of perspective, Liefeld actually draws the neck hole of his shirt off center from his chest, making it look deliberate.

While the extra buckles and arm bandolier are typical Liefeld, I'm impressed that Wolverine's bicep isn't twice the size of his head, and that his gun is barely larger than his forearm. This must be one of those "better" pieces I keep reading about.

Yep. I don't live in Hawaii anymore, so Bleuhawaii was kinda meh. Always loved the Legion...

Somewhere Rob Liefeld is sitting on a hideously deformed throne made of money saying...

burns-excellent_zps0f15b80e.gif

Name Change!

Yep. I don't live in Hawaii anymore, so Bleuhawaii was kinda meh. Always loved the Legion...

affzac.jpg

What's hilarious about this cover, is that if there were any question as to whether Wolverine's head coming out of his left shoulder was an illusion of perspective, Liefeld actually draws the neck hole of his shirt off center from his chest, making it look deliberate.

While the extra buckles and arm bandolier are typical Liefeld, I'm impressed that Wolverine's bicep isn't twice the size of his head, and that his barely larger than his forearm. This must be one of those "better" pieces I keep reading about.

I, too, was impressed by this when I first saw it. So much so, I bought multiple copies (all of which I still have.)

But....I was 17, and unschooled in the ways of illustration.

;)

affzac.jpg

While the extra buckles and arm bandolier are typical Liefeld, I'm impressed that Wolverine's bicep isn't twice the size of his head, and that his barely larger than his forearm. This must be one of those "better" pieces I keep reading about.

Yeesh. I hated that cover then for all the reasons I hate it now. work transcends time and space.

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

Or, for the sake of objective analysis.

Cover the word balloons. Now tell me what's happening.

YOU CAN'T, because the page consists of nothing but POSES.

Is it the opening number to a Broadway musical? Is it a post-Apocalyptic nightmare, where humanity has been replaced by garish, overdressed Pouch-People? Is it an avant-garde fashion show in Milan?

Storytelling??

Give it UP already.

:facepalm:

+1000

That probably IS Liefeld at his best.

I'm starting to get anxiety looking at this crud from the 90's....

affzac.jpg

I, too, was impressed by this when I first saw it. So much so, I bought multiple copies (all of which I still have.)

;)

What was it that drew you in? I have to imagine it's the line work as the pose is pretty static and not dynamic.

The issue I particularly criticized when i wrote that review twenty years ago it’s this one (I recalled #5 but is actually #3).

Basically, there is nothing right on this cover, starting from perspective, and although the layout choice could have been interesting, the rest does not work.

For example: you have to figure out whether Shatterstar has been reduced by Hank Pym's portion, given the proportions he has compared to the Juggernaut, given he’s about the size of one of his arms.

One could argue the cover is "surrealistic", like that one where the Dark Phoenix embraces the X-Men logo, but that is clearly not the intent here. :(

X-Force_003_Vol1991_Marvel__ComiClash.jpg

Look at Spiderman's hiney and legs

:roflmao:

affzac.jpg

;)

What was it that drew you in? I have to imagine it's the line work as the pose is pretty static and not dynamic.

It was Wolverine, and it was drawn by the hot new artist on New Mutants. And I was looking to make money.

I didn't actually buy these until at least April or May of 1990.