• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

Let's clarify something, so everyone's on the same page:

This entire thread, no one (that I have seen) has said anything along the lines of "what you collect sucks, what I collect rules." The discussion has never, at any time, been dismissive of the excitement of Liefeld's work, especially to younger people who first saw it in the late 80's/early 90's. It WAS exciting. It WAS different. It WAS cool.

And no one has said anything to take away from that. If some of the participants in this discussion were actual kids, and cynical adults were telling them that liking (insert current cool thing here) was dumb, and they should be ashamed for liking it, that would be one thing.

But that's not the case (though, I suspect that in many of these discussions, that's precisely who is being addressed: the child in the mind, whose memories are offended.)

Poseidon Adventure (1972) is a terrible, awful, terrible movie. But to my 8 year old self, it was one of the greatest movies I ever saw on Saturday afternoon TV. I can separate what my adult self knows about the reality from the cherished memories of my 8 year old self, and say "yeah, man, that movie was an absolute disaster...and not the good kind. But MAN, I enjoyed the hell out of it as a kid!"...and neither is offended nor dismissed.

:cloud9:

Anyone can like any artwork for any reason they want, and not have to defend it to others. "I enjoy it because I enjoy it" needs no explanation.

But when we start analyzing it, that's when we have to face reality and accept the work for whatever....good, bad, or indifferent....it is.

This entire thread, no one (that I have seen) has said anything along the lines of "what you collect sucks, what I collect rules." The discussion has never, at any time, been dismissive of the excitement of Liefeld's work, especially to younger people who first saw it in the late 80's/early 90's. It WAS exciting. It WAS different. It WAS cool.

And no one has said anything to take away from that. If some of the participants in this discussion were actual kids, and cynical adults were telling them that liking (insert current cool thing here) was dumb, and they should be ashamed for liking it, that would be one thing.

But that's not the case (though, I suspect that in many of these discussions, that's precisely who is being addressed: the child in the mind, whose memories are offended.)

Poseidon Adventure (1972) is a terrible, awful, terrible movie. But to my 8 year old self, it was one of the greatest movies I ever saw on Saturday afternoon TV. I can separate what my adult self knows about the reality from the cherished memories of my 8 year old self, and say "yeah, man, that movie was an absolute disaster...and not the good kind. But MAN, I enjoyed the hell out of it as a kid!"...and neither is offended nor dismissed.

Anyone can like any artwork for any reason they want, and not have to defend it to others. "I enjoy it because I enjoy it" needs no explanation.

But when we start analyzing it, that's when we have to face reality and accept the work for whatever....good, bad, or indifferent....it is.

Well said.

I feel the same way about The Goonies. I wonder if there is something about that 8-9 yr old range that just sticks with you?

Well said.

I feel the same way about The Goonies. I wonder if there is something about that 8-9 yr old range that just sticks with you?

The Goonies is a well made movie though. Don't you be talkin' smack about Richard Donner :sumo:

Well said.

The Goonies is a well made movie though. Don't you be talkin' smack about Richard Donner :sumo:

The Goonies is a kids movie.

[

GREATEST.

MOVIE.

EVER.

"Dat's what I said, BOOTY TRAPS!"

"One day, the parts of you that don't work so good are gonna catch up to the ones that do"

"Martin Sheen!" "Martin Sheen? That's JFK, you IDIOT!" "Yeah...well....he PLAYED JFK once!"

"HEEYYYY YOUUUUU GUYYYYYYSSS...uh HUH!!!"

"Sloth...LOVE...Chunk!"

I was the EXACT same age as these guys when that movie came out.

In fact...I may just put it on right now....

[

GREATEST.

MOVIE.

EVER.

"One day, when the parts of you that don't work so good catch up to the ones that do"

"Martin Sheen!" "Martin Sheen? That's JFK, you IDIOT!" "Yeah...well....he PLAYED JFK once!"

"Sloth...LOVE...Chunk!"

cloud9:

I love it too. But, as I just said, it's a kids movie. It's not a movie for adults. But we love it just the same now as then.

Come on, now, admit it...how many of you have been offended because something you loved as a kid was exposed by someone else as being full of holes and lacking in artistic merit...and you took it out on the person doing the exposing, rather than honestly evaluating it in your head, telling your inner child it was drek, but it's still ok to love it, since your inner child is, and will always be, an inner child....?

Hell, it was one of the plotlines of an entire episode of Big Bang (Raiders of the Lost Ark episode)!

Well said.

The Goonies is a kids movie.

I would call it layered. But even if it were just a kids movie, so what? That doesn't mean it can't be of good quality.

[

GREATEST.

MOVIE.

EVER.

"One day, when the parts of you that don't work so good catch up to the ones that do"

"Sloth...LOVE...Chunk!"

cloud9:

I love it too. But, as I just said, it's a kids movie. It's not a movie for adults. But we love it just the same now as then.

There's enough in it that flies above the heads of the kids to be enjoyable. ;)

Come on, now, admit it...how many of you have been offended because something you loved as a kid was exposed by someone else as being full of holes and lacking in artistic merit...and you took it out on the person doing the exposing, rather than honestly evaluating it in your head, telling your inner child it was drek, but it's still ok to love it, since your inner child is, and will always be, an inner child....?

Hell, it was one of the plotlines of an entire episode of Big Bang (Raiders of the Lost Ark episode)!

I don't watch Bing Bang...and no, that has never happened to me. (shrug)

That's because you only ever watched Masterpiece Theatre as a child...

:whee:

That's because you only ever watched Masterpiece Theatre as a child...

:whee:

It's not the only thing, but I did watch that as well :acclaim:

And Al Milgrom did art corrections on that early Liefeld work.

That's when his art looked it's best, when he had another artist to ink his work and make corrections.

Al Milgrom made his art look better?

'Nuff said.

tumblr_n50z32uJOA1s83ce6o1_500.jpg

If I ever went out with my suit as wrinkled as those guys' I'd be embarrassed.

Peace,

Chip

Ahhhhh. You beat me to it.

It looks like Archangel is scolding them for wearing such wrinkled suits to church. His suit looks nicely pressed. With that said, what's up with his leg? How is it in that position?

Liefeld's comic art sux :gossip:

Vince Colletta would make his stuff look better

BAZINGA