• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

I understand that Chuck, but in RMA's post it sounded like someone who can only get five issues per year out is a slacker. I don't think that's the case. Not coming through with solicits is poor managing, but five issues a year is actually a lot of output in the comics I read. A reasonable excuse for not putting out more than five comics in a year is comics actually take time to make when you care about the content. They should have not solicited until the issue was 80% complete or so, waiting on coloring and lettering or whatever.

That's not what he meant.

Gawd, how I hate the "growing roses" defense for being lazy. Not only is it BS, but it puts down dozens of artists who have been able to get high quality work done on time for decades.

I don't know. I still believe good art wasn't meant to made every 30 days.

What guys like Kirby, Romita, Byrne, etc. did was amazingly consistent, but I think even they would agree that the best work they could do wouldn't be under a 30 day deadline.

The reason comics are monthly isn't from an artistic stand point, it's from a financial one.

Though using it as an excuse to be lazy is, yeah, annoying. :grin:

Two out of the Three you mention are among the fastest comic book artists in the history of the medium and would probably not agree.

Interesting anecdote:

When Shooter became EiC of Marvel he had heard that John Byrne was doing 3 fully penciled pages a day. He asked JB to try ( as an experiment ) just drawing two pages a day and see what would happen.

The result? Byrne ending his work day two hours earlier than normal :D

None of those people would be on my list of top 50 artists in comics.

I understand that Chuck, but in RMA's post it sounded like someone who can only get five issues per year out is a slacker.

You misread my post. I didn't, and wouldn't, say that.

See above posts for the whole explanation. :)

Reader's Digest version: it's one thing to produce a few books a year, and say "you'll get 'em when you get 'em" (Fantagraphics)...it's another to promise them next week, and they show up 9 months later (Image.)

Gotcha (thumbs u

i would argue that the Killing Joke cover is very telling of the story

it could be the best cover ever IMO

Good lord, I do think that Liefeld fan is high....but best cover ever? I wouldn't even rank it in my top 1000. It's a very, VERY good illustration, but not a good comic book cover IMHO.

it depends what you're after, Batman 225 or 235 are my favourite for telling a story but Killing Joke is so memorable that i think it surpasses them for what a cover is supposed to do (i.e. being attracted to/buying the book)

Even then, the only reason it draws someone in is because Bolland is such a good illustrator. The image itself isn't particularly interesting from a design standpoint.

And I can name 50 people who are more important to comics in the last 25 years than Rob Liefeld.

Here, let's start:

Alex Ross

Neil Gaiman

Grant Morrison

Jim Lee

Karen Berger

Ron Perelman (ugh)

Steve Geppi

Brian Michael Bendis

Robert Kirkman

Geoff Johns

etc...etc...etc...

Thank you. Saved me a lot of typing. I'd add Eric Stephenson and Brian K Vaughan. Scott Snyder will be added to the list eventually. Liefeld doesn't even belong in the same conversation, IMO.

Todd McFarlane is NOT an Artist (Capital "A"), and never was.

I'll second that

Spider-Man-319.png

:sick:

So many comics artists-the majority-can't draw hair for mess.

what ASM Issue was that from?One thing I can say is that Mcfarlane's art got better as time went on IMO,and he still draws the covers for Spawn every month.

McFarlane's art got worse as time went on, after a certain point.

That particular scene is from Spidey #318 or #319. Issues #320-325 are a mess.

Issue #300, on the other hand, is as good as McFarlane ever got (outside of the excessive linework on Brock.)

There's a whole lot more wrong on that page than her hair.

Oh yeah

That's the kind of thing if I drew it I would get so frustrated I would rip it up, cry, and probably not draw for like 6 months.

Seriously.

I actually like really rough looking Copper Age comic book art. I like the look of early Tim Vigil stuff in Grips. I just won't argue that it's good. Probably nostalgia that appeals to me, I started in the quarter bins and stayed there for years. But that's where I think that page belongs, a goofy quarter bin Silverwolf comic, not one of the highest selling comics of the era.

The fact is, without Rob Liefeld, the comic book industry wouldn't have been changed much at all. As Chuck said, it was MCFARLANE, not Liefeld, who came up with Image, so there goes that one.

What planet are you two insufficiently_thoughtful_persons living on? Go research some of the wildly_fanciful_statement you're trying to shovel. This is a complete fallacy.

Liefeld solicited a comic called Berserkers, a ripoff of X-Force, that was going to be released through Malibu at the same time he was doing XF. Marvel went berserk and threatened to sue and fire him.

Liefeld talked to McFarlane, explained what he was doing, and it snowballed from there. The entire thing started from Liefeld. McFarlane had already quit Marvel and was playing daddy, completely unsure what he was doing next.

And I can name 50 people who are more important to comics in the last 25 years than Rob Liefeld.

Here, let's start:

Alex Ross

Neil Gaiman

Grant Morrison

Jim Lee

Karen Berger

Ron Perelman (ugh)

Steve Geppi

Brian Michael Bendis

Robert Kirkman

Geoff Johns

etc...etc...etc...

Are you kidding me? You've mostly named a list of popular current writers and a hack artist who was popular for a few years for doing photo reference paintings. There are plenty of great artists and writers throughout history, but the vast majority of them could have vanished and things wouldn't have changed.

The only ones on this list that belong are the ones who truly changed the landscape of comics.

Lee and Berger arguments could be made for but even Berger is too small in the grand scheme, working at a single company. Lee at least created Wildstorm, ran multiple studios, then took over DC. The same argument could be made for Johns and Quesada. Perelman sadly belongs as well, and an argument could be made for Geppi.

But this only solidifies my position - Geppi, Perelman, and Liefeld are 3 that are villains in this list, who may not have changed comics for the better but certainly influenced it hugely.

McFarlane's art got worse as time went on, after a certain point.

That particular scene is from Spidey #318 or #319. Issues #320-325 are a mess.

Issue #300, on the other hand, is as good as McFarlane ever got (outside of the excessive linework on Brock.)

Hahahahaha, you are the most delusional person I've ever seen learn how to type. I wish I could meet you in person and give you a banana for all you've accomplished.

300 was brilliant - complete agreement there, but the absolute peak of McFarlane's skill was 315-328 - the absolute consensus among all his fans and collectors. His work on SM was rushed and his work before was often butchered by horrible inking and a 2 week turnaround when the book went bi-monthly.

The more you post the more clearly it comes across that you personally like a certain type of art and judge all art on those standards. The closer it gets to older styles and less creativity the more you like it.

And clearly when it has an amazing lamp in the background:)

Thank you. Saved me a lot of typing. I'd add Eric Stephenson and Brian K Vaughan. Scott Snyder will be added to the list eventually. Liefeld doesn't even belong in the same conversation, IMO.

Stephenson deserves to be in the conversation as well, but Snyder and Vaughan are yet more of the flavor-of-the-year writers. Why not include Fraction too? Alan Moore? Just include every popular big name writer over the last 20 years?

There are endless writers out there and endless artists. It takes far more than a few good stories to change the industry.

Art Spiegelman

Jaime Hernandez

Gilbert Hernandez

Mario Hernandez

Gary Groth

Frank Miller

Dave Sim

Wendy Pini

Richard Pini

Alan Moore

Denis Kitchen

Robert Crumb

Richard Corben

Milo Manara

Moebius

Ron Turner

There's 16 off the top of my head

There are endless writers out there and endless artists. It takes far more than a few good stories to change the industry.

It takes a lot more than four issues of Youngblood as well. Elevating the industry from rubbish to art is pretty important, wouldn't you think?

Talent that achieves awards for actual literary accomplishment is kind of a big deal.

Spearheading a new genre of comics ain't bad.

Claws, teeth, tits, and neck muscles doesn't even register on the radar as far as importance within the industry is concerned. Liefeld had an impact for sure, a negative one.

Art Spiegelman

Jaime Hernandez

Gilbert Hernandez

Mario Hernandez

Gary Groth

Frank Miller

Dave Sim

Wendy Pini

Richard Pini

Alan Moore

Denis Kitchen

Robert Crumb

Richard Corben

Milo Manara

Moebius

Ron Turner

There's 16 off the top of my head

Now THAT is a far more valid list. :clap:

but the absolute peak of McFarlane's skill was 315-328 - the absolute consensus among all his fans and collectors.

If I don't think the artist has ever submitted a decent page of art, what am I supposed to think of the opinions of his fans and collectors?

It takes a lot more than four issues of Youngblood as well. Elevating the industry from rubbish to art is pretty important, wouldn't you think?

Talent that achieves awards for actual literary accomplishment is kind of a big deal.

Spearheading a new genre of comics ain't bad.

Claws, teeth, tits, and neck muscles doesn't even register on the radar as far as importance within the industry is concerned. Liefeld had an impact for sure, a negative one.

Don't forget the pouches