• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about time payment deals

24 posts in this topic

So I see on the selling section that people accept time payments for big books.

How is the buyer protected doing this? Only safe if buying from a trusted seller that has a good reputation here or does paypal actually have some format of doing this?

Just wondering.

Always been curious about time payments in case I ever decide to go that route.

Only safe if buying from a trusted seller that has a good reputation here?

That's pretty much it.

You ask for references and check them. And you keep a history of communication in case something happens. I've done many layaway deals in both sides, and all have gone smoothly.

That was a good question. I assume the seller keeps the book until it is paid off then ships it?

imo the seller keeping the book till paid is an unspoken rule......unless you both agree otherwise

i've done a # of pay over time while buying and this was always the case

That was a good question. I assume the seller keeps the book until it is paid off then ships it?

That has been the case in all my experiences.

Yup, pay the seller in installments and receive the book. I've had dozens of time payment deals on these very boards. With veteran and trusted sellers.

I assumed so but never thought about it. If I was a seller, I would really have to know the person to allow them to keep the book while making payments. That has disaster written all over it.

There are some people where I have no problem shipping the book off before payment is received, but that is not the norm. Normally seller keeps the books until payment is made in full. Many full time dealers also take a 20% non-refundable deposit once a buyer commits to a time payment deal.

There are some people where I have no problem shipping the book off before payment is received, but that is not the norm. Normally seller keeps the books until payment is made in full. Many full time dealers also take a 20% non-refundable deposit once a buyer commits to a time payment deal.

I've had multiple sellers ship before everything was all paid off. If you've built a certain level of trust, it sometimes happens. I had someone ship me an Avengers 3 that was only about 1/2 paid off - I'd only been here about six months, so it kind of blew me away.

I've also gotten books in that I hadn't paid anything on at all :o - I made sure the payment went out that same day. :blush:

I've done a few time payments here. My 2c , if the buyer is looking to protect themselves, starting with lower priced books and working with reputable members is the way to go.

If I see a book from someone that I barely see around here I probably won't buy from them. It a takes a leap of faith certainly but I will also say that this place is very efficient with policing itself so yes you may get screwed but rest assured that seller will probably never be on the boards again. So you could take solace in the fact that you getting screwed over exposed a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed so others won't fall victim.

The greater good and all that.

I assumed so but never thought about it. If I was a seller, I would really have to know the person to allow them to keep the book while making payments. That has disaster written all over it.

The seller has an incentive to ship the book after payment, especially if they expect to keep doing business, that fact alone tends to "protect" the buyer.

I was commenting on if the seller shipped the book to the buyer before it was paid off. I mentioned nothing about the seller not shipping the book after it was paid off. ;)

How is the buyer protected doing this? Only safe if buying from a trusted seller that has a good reputation here or does paypal actually have some format of doing this?

Just wondering.

Ask the seller to list the book on eBay with an agreed upon BIN but only if the book is over $100 then use BillMeLater on PayPal to purchase the book. You are given 6 months to pay the book of, interest free. The seller get the money right away and you get the book right away. This works, but you have to be really disciplined and pay the book off. Otherwise, you are on the hook for the accrued interest.

I've done this several times and have been able to purchase books I otherwise would not have been able to afford like Tomb of Dracula 1 CGC 9.4, Marvel Spotlight 2 CGC 9.0, and a few others.

Just wondering.

Ask the seller to list the book on eBay with an agreed upon BIN but only if the book is over $100 then use BillMeLater on PayPal to purchase the book. You are given 6 months to pay the book of, interest free. The seller get the money right away and you get the book right away. This works, but you have to be really disciplined and pay the book off. Otherwise, you are on the hook for the accrued interest.

I've done this several times and have been able to purchase books I otherwise would not have been able to afford like Tomb of Dracula 1 CGC 9.4, Marvel Spotlight 2 CGC 9.0, and a few others.

:think: Really? I thought you could only do that once...., you can do it multiple times? I've never used that function.

I've made three purchases with time payments - two from Boardies and one from Best in Comics. The two guys on here that sold me books with time payments were gracious enough to ship the book after I paid a significant portion - but still had a pretty good chunk left over. :foryou: It involves a great deal of trust on both sides - so reputation and references are huge. I wouldn't recommend sending time payments to a seller who hasn't been around for long and no one knows. :eek:

Just wondering.

:think: Really? I thought you could only do that once...., you can do it multiple times? I've never used that function.

When you sign up for BillMeLater, you are extended a line of credit. You can keep purchasing up to the credit limit. eBay has been running the 6 months no interest for orders over $100 for the better part of a year now if you use BillMeLater. The biggest caveat, that I found out the hard way, is that BillMeLater does not work for international auctions/BINs. It works for US auctions/BINs only.

And I cannot emphasize this enough, if you don't pay off the item before the 6 months is up, you are liable for all the accrued interest.

When I make a purchase like this, I go ahead and right away schedule PayPal to take money out of my bank account every week for however many weeks it takes to pay the item off. The only problem with this is they only let you schedule 3 payments a month, so the middle of the month, I have to go onto PayPal and schedule the payments for the remaining weeks for that month.

The process is simple, but if you are one who is liable to get overextended and cannot manage your credit, this can be a very, very dangerous way to pay for your more expensive comics.