• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fantastic Four Adds Reg E. Cathey as Sue and Johnny Storm’s Father

56 posts in this topic

I'm so confused. What is the issue here?

That an Elseworld tale, if pushed to far, can devolve into an "Be Elsewhere" tale. (shrug)

Elseworld is DC :baiting:

Why do they have to be "fantastic" ?? And why does their have to be only four of them??

They should change the powers while they are at it...elastic man and invisible girl are so outdated now with todays youth.

Actually, it would make for kinky sex. They fit right into today's youth.

lol

I agree that they're making the characters African American to make the genre more appealing to a greater group of people but there's nothing wrong with that. For a long time there was too many 'white' characters and that doesn't really mesh (or jive :D ) with the cross section of the American population. It was almost comical how many white characters there were.

I do sympathize with those that would like the movies to be held closer to the comics though. I'm in that camp, but simply out of nostalgic reasons.

If they can make a good movie that is reasonably true to what the FF was (humour, tension, sci fi, action) with a good story, that's all that matters.

If Mr. Mom could make a good Batman, anything is possible.

I don't have many things to focus my hatred on these days, which is a great thing.

That being said, I *HATE* this movie already.

Peace,

Chip

Even if they re-imagine Silver Surfer as a White Buffalo who heralds the return of one p'd off ancient Skygod?

Or maybe the Fantasticar is powered by pleasant thoughts?

It's possible they may hit a pc highnote you could like, as hard as they're trying.

What if this movie actually makes the first two look like masterpieces.....?

That most of the FF fans hate the casting choice and the unnecessary changes to the characters.

For me it is not even so much the changing of the origins but that I feel it is done for politically correct reasons which I always frown upon.

I thought the casting was more due to the directors previous work experience with the HT actor

I don't have a big problem with it. In fact, I love him as an actor.

Yes, the FF was 100% white. Now they're not (and Sue's adopted?) I'm not going to get hung up on skin color.

I had more of a problem with the previous films where Von Doom had metal skin and shot lighting bolts, or Galactus was a giant space cloud...

The good thing about doing the Ultimate FF is that the Mole Man story becomes more interesting and less cartoonish.

If it's well written, well acted and a good story it will be worth seeing and make money.

It's not about ethnicity, historical timelines, sexes, ages, or any other element. It's that some characters have become "iconic" over time in pop culture.

They could probably do an amazing award-winning movie about four girls discovered in the Solomon Islands who's funky headdresses and rhythmic sounds took the world by storm. It could be titled "The Beatles". But, well, you know...

They could probably do an amazing award-winning movie about four girls discovered in the Solomon Islands who's funky headdresses and rhythmic sounds took the world by storm. It could be titled "The Beatles". But, well, you know...

I was thinking of exactly the same thing. Use a bunch of people who are not the Beatles and call them the Beatles. It makes no sense and people would be outraged, except that the FF have a much smaller following than the Beatles.

I fail to see how making Johnny and his dad black and Sue adopted is going to make this a "bad movie" (shrug) And really that is all anyone is basing their opinion on right now that this movie will be bad, that they cast black actors in traditionally white roles.

So they are changing the story slightly. So what? That in and of itself will not make it a bad movie.

If it's well written, well acted and a good story it will be worth seeing and make money.

It's not about ethnicity, historical timelines, sexes, ages, or any other element. It's that some characters have become "iconic" over time in pop culture.

I just feel this is another rushed attempt to retain the movie rights. How many remakes is it going to take before these movies start to tank and the rights to these characters are finally given back to Marvel?

I was thinking of exactly the same thing. Use a bunch of people who are not the Beatles and call them the Beatles. It makes no sense and people would be outraged, except that the FF have a much smaller following than the Beatles.

But the FF aren't real people.

Or...are they...

:ohnoez:

But the FF aren't real people.

Or...are they...

:ohnoez:

No, but to my kids or anyone who didn't grow up with some sort of relationship to that era, neither are the Beatles. They're just cultural icons.

Why do they have to be "fantastic" ?? And why does their have to be only four of them??

They should change the powers while they are at it...elastic man and invisible girl are so outdated now with todays youth.

Actually, it would make for kinky sex. They fit right into today's youth.

lol

I agree that they're making the characters African American to make the genre more appealing to a greater group of people but there's nothing wrong with that. For a long time there was too many 'white' characters and that doesn't really mesh (or jive :D ) with the cross section of the American population. It was almost comical how many white characters there were.

I do sympathize with those that would like the movies to be held closer to the comics though. I'm in that camp, but simply out of nostalgic reasons.

If they can make a good movie that is reasonably true to what the FF was (humour, tension, sci fi, action) with a good story, that's all that matters.

If Mr. Mom could make a good Batman, anything is possible.

I think they should have changed Ben Grimm to African American and had same impact. I think the change of Johnny Storm may not be the best way to go

Do "The Fantastic Four" in feudal Japan and the main characters are four geisha. The leader is "Reed", because she runs across the tops of reeds like in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Imagine how cool the costumes could be.

geishasatateapartyluncheon.jpg

The cast of the new Fantastic Four. Looks like they are aiming at a younger contemporary crowd.

fantastic-four-reboot-cast-announced.jpg

Now this I fully agree the backlash should be great and just.

This is complete garbage.

Maybe they will make the Black Panther a caucasian.

White Panther. doh!

I just feel this is another rushed attempt to retain the movie rights. How many remakes is it going to take before these movies start to tank and the rights to these characters are finally given back to Marvel?

Maybe we should be happy then cause this film is going to bomb so hard this could very well make all of our wishes come true.

This way most people in the movie business have no talent.

All these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at Sony have to do is copy Marvel/Disney's way of doing the movies and they could make FF rival the Avengers movies with all these cool characters they currently have.

If they did DD, SS, and Galactus correct the pile of $ would be so infinite Reed would have to store most of in the Negative Zone.

Do "The Fantastic Four" in feudal Japan and the main characters are four geisha. The leader is "Reed", because she runs across the tops of reeds like in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

makes perfect sense because Dr. Doom could wear one of the fierce samurai warrior masks. hm

npjksy.jpg

For the mole man monsters, they could use the destroy all monsters cast.

makes perfect sense because Dr. Doom could wear one of the fierce samurai warrior masks. hm

npjksy.jpg

And monsters is *exactly* how they started out! Spot on, except for the whole feudal Japan geisha samurai warrior thing. They're crazy if they don't do it.

kirbyff.jpg

npjksy.jpg

And monsters is *exactly* how they started out! Spot on, except for the whole feudal Japan geisha samurai warrior thing. They're crazy if they don't do it.

kirbyff.jpg

If they somehow listen and revise the next reboot to our cast, remember, you saw it here first!