• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kevin O'Neill, League art

8 posts in this topic

I may perhaps be a wee bit late getting to the table on this, but that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic was pretty well done, hey? Nosing about on CAF reveals that Vol 2, issue 2 is broken up and Vol 2, issue 3 is in the hands of a single collector (I doff my cap to you, sir)-- and there is not much sign of much else. What's the skinny? Are author & artist retaining most of the pages?

I may perhaps be a wee bit late getting to the table on this, but that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic was pretty well done, hey? Nosing about on CAF reveals that Vol 2, issue 2 is broken up and Vol 2, issue 3 is in the hands of a single collector (I doff my cap to you, sir)-- and there is not much sign of much else. What's the skinny? Are author & artist retaining most of the pages?

Vol. 1 sold complete (as in, all six issues along with assorted illustrations) to a single collector who then parted out complete individual issues to other collectors. This was around 2008. The price wasn't cheap, but it was very fair-- a prorated amount from what the collector has paid for the lot.

About a year later, same thing happened with Vol. 2.

Later issues have been broken up and sold through a Belgian gallery, presumably direct from O'Neill.

I was offered a complete issue from Vol. 1 when the collector who bought everything made it available. I liked the series...but didn't love it. So passed. I would rather spend my money on something like WATCHMEN. To the point where I'd rather have a single WM page over a complete LOEG issue, for the same price. And that's what I ended up doing.

I got the same offer when Vol. 2 became available. There was only one issue I wanted, for a specific sequence. As it turned out, the collector who bought everything wanted that issue for the same reason. So that was that.

Vol. 1 sold complete (as in, all six issues along with assorted illustrations) to a single collector who then parted out complete individual issues to other collectors. This was around 2008. The price wasn't cheap, but it was very fair-- a prorated amount from what the collector has paid for the lot.

About a year later, same thing happened with Vol. 2.

Later issues have been broken up and sold through a Belgian gallery, presumably direct from O'Neill.

I was offered a complete issue from Vol. 1 when the collector who bought everything made it available. I liked the series...but didn't love it. So passed. I would rather spend my money on something like WATCHMEN. To the point where I'd rather have a single WM page over a complete LOEG issue, for the same price. And that's what I ended up doing.

I got the same offer when Vol. 2 became available. There was only one issue I wanted, for a specific sequence. As it turned out, the collector who bought everything wanted that issue for the same reason. So that was that.

Pretty interesting to know. I assume some of the issues from Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 have been broken up by now.

You gotta love that sequence. I reckon there's only one possible sequence you are talking about ;)

I really think it's only the one issue from Vol. 2 that's been broken up. Scan CAF and you'll see that the only pages from the first two in individual collector's hands are all from issue 2. Last I checked, the guy who broke that issue up only had one page left. There's also a guy on CAF who's been looking to sell this page for a while:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1047949&GSub=113624

Thanks all, especially Mr. Nexus, for the info. I like a few sequences from Vol 2(!) but really more interested in Vol 1, of which there is no trace on CAF. Doubt that I could swing a whole issue anyway...