• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should one ever ink pencilled original art?

105 posts in this topic

James Jean = Fine Art

Apples and oranges. But you are entitle to your opinion.

That is the crux of it: who determines what is "fine art" (or art that should not be modified by someone else), and who determines that is okay to modify the art?

Most of us have placed a very conservative line in the sand (don't mess with it after publication!), while your line is dependent on the artist, style of art, the art world's determination and/or something else that may change from time to time. To me your approach is too open to interpretation.

That's my 2c

James Jean = Fine Art

Apples and oranges. But you are entitle to your opinion.

That is the crux of it: who determines what is "fine art" (or art that should not be modified by someone else), and who determines that is okay to modify the art?

Most of us have placed a very conservative line in the sand (don't mess with it after publication!), while your line is dependent on the artist, style of art, the art world's determination and/or something else that may change from time to time. To me your approach is too open to interpretation.

That's my 2c

Your 2c are absolutely spot on as how I feel about this topic. Art has always been open to interpretation, regardless of what kind it is. You can also add if the pencils are yearning and deserving to be ink so it can live on all its glory within the board. IMO Jim Lee's Spawn 200 falls under this category. Some other pencils are quite fine as they are.

Yes...my approach is open to interpretation hm

That's my 2c