• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looked at a large Copper collection (3,000 books) this morning...

103 posts in this topic

I just took everything out of their bags and checked the condition. Unfortunately they're all over the place...like they had been on a store shelf for a while before they were packed up. They range from 8.0 up to 9.6, with most being 9.4 or so.

comics.jpg

I'm going to treat it all as an experiment and put up the best examples of each on eBay and run them for a week to see what they end up going for. Then I'll do the next best examples, etc.

As I was leaving the guy's daughter gave me a box of larger sports photo cards from the 70's and I didn't think anything of it after I thanked them and left. Turns out there's at least $200 in the sports cards (there were about 50 unopened packs) so I've made my profit even before selling a single comic. :) They're the "Sportscaster" cards from the late 70's. Unfortunately there was no Gretzky nor Bird (the two big ones from what I could tell on eBay), but there are enough $5 individual cards and unopened packs left that I will double or triple my money on those by themselves.

cards.jpg

Peace,

Chip

I find that a bit surprising. How high was your shipping?

My shipping is $6.50 for Priority Mail Boxed. I don't ship any other way...it's not worth it.

Peace,

Chip

I wouldnt bid on a $1 comic with $6.50 shipping and others aren't either obviously, so what's not worth it, using affordable shipping or not selling something?

I appreciate the advice. My business is still new. Once I get working capital saved up I won't need to immediately sell what I purchase. It's just beginning to get there as I'm able to submit a bunch of key issues I won outright for slabbing and those will be put up as BiNs until they sell. Until then everything has to sell, so I'll run auctions.

Peace,

Chip

I wouldnt bid on a $1 comic with $6.50 shipping and others aren't either obviously, so what's not worth it, using affordable shipping or not selling something?

What do you consider affordable shipping since comics can't be sent Media Mail? First class is around $2.50 per book, but then I need to source the cardboard and purchase padded envelopes which will raise the shipping cost to $4.50 and still the comic has a chance of being bent. The way I ship now there's no way the comics can get damaged unless the postal truck runs over the package.

Peace,

Chip

He was an older gentleman (about 75 or so) and he had purchased all these from a storage unit auction many years ago. I felt bad for him, so I rounded up 200 issues and offered him $100.

Never ever feel bad for the seller - that was $100 he didn't have, and I'm sure he is happy for it. :grin:

I find that a bit surprising. How high was your shipping?

My shipping is $6.50 for Priority Mail Boxed. I don't ship any other way...it's not worth it.

Peace,

Chip

I wouldn't bid on a $1 comic with $6.50 shipping and others aren't either obviously, so what's not worth it, using affordable shipping or not selling something?

I am assuming here, but I bet Chip has a large number of comics to buy at any one time, and I doubt there is little difference in weight from shipping 1 book his way and shipping (up to?) 4 the same way. So, he wants people to buy LOTS of $1 books from him and even if they get 20, shipping won't go up significantly.

So, while I agree that $6.50 is high for one book, is $7 too high for ten $1 books? Hell, get the right-dimensioned box and you can get 50-60 in a Flat Rate box, that's only $12 shipping for ~50 books.

:shrug:

I will admit, I am one that still uses Media Mail, but I offer it as an option between it, 1st Class, and Priority Mail. I have to admit, I do get more people using the $3-5 Media Mail option for my 4-book (or larger) lots instead of the $6-7 Priority, but that is on both me and the buyer for using Media Mail. I respect that Chip doesn't go that route, I just hope it doesn't and hasn't cost him sales.

So, in the end, I agree with both of you.

:lol:

-slym

Chip, don't think I am singling you out here, and I know everyone's circumstances are different - I have no "real" job so the time I do have makes things like getting cardboard & boxes from stores, cutting the cardboard sheets to size, etc. - but getting a book or two out in a 1st Class package isn't so bad. I can get one book out in a sandwich made from two 8"x11-1/2" pieces of double-thick cardboard, wrapped in two layers of bubble-wrap (I buy large rolls for cheap,) and into either a 10"x13" manilla envelope, or even better (in this case, "cheaper") make one out of craft paper. This comes in right under 13 ounces every time, and with the eBay discount, it costs $3.40 (I charge $3.50, please no one beat me up on my gouging! :lol: )

I do cut the cardboard so the "grain" runs opposite on each sheet, effectively doubling the power needed to bend it, and have gotten rave reviews for packing this way. I will admit, I only ship books cheaper than $10-15 this way, as if it approaches $20, I feel the need to insure it, and since I know I can get a Priority box in at just under a pound and PM comes with up to $50 insurance and it costs about as much extra over 1st Class postage as insurance does (I spend 15¢ extra using PM) I might as well get it to them maybe a little faster, maybe a little safer, and it just plain looks good when they buy a lower class of postage and a Priority box shows up!

Again, I know I have more time than most, and it may not be feasible for you to do some of these things I do based on that alone, but it is possible, and might lead to a few more sales.

(thumbs u

-slym (hopes he didn't come off too pedantically)

You're good, bud. I know where you're coming from. :)

That being said, I run anywhere from 250-450 auctions a week. I do this as my only source of income, and while it would seem like I have all the time in the world, cutting up cardboard and buying 100 padded envelopes isn't the same as having Priority supplies delivered right to my door for free.

My business is growing every week and I now have quite a few followers of my eBay auctions. I was only singling out those McSpideys because my customers appreciate the high grade books I offer...yet those sat without bids. It's not my shipping charges.

Peace,

Chip

Never ever feel bad for the seller - that was $100 he didn't have, and I'm sure he is happy for it. :grin:

They didn't seem like they were happy for it...they seemed to think I was trying to scam them, though nothing was directly said about that. I had two Transformers #9 in my pile and the daughter picked one up and said, "Transformers are really popular with kids right now...the new movie is doing well." to which I replied, "Oh, you mean 'Age Of Extinction' with Mark Walhberg? It's not out yet. I'm excited to see it, though...I've liked the Dinobots since I was a kid." That shut her up and sealed the deal.

I do wish I could have purchased more...I'm just not sure those books are sell-able. Justice League Detroit...X-Factor #2...Vision/SW mini series, Who's Who #whatever...there were some GI Joes, but I believe they were early in the #40s.

Peace,

Chip

What do you consider affordable shipping since comics can't be sent Media Mail? First class is around $2.50 per book, but then I need to source the cardboard and purchase padded envelopes which will raise the shipping cost to $4.50 and still the comic has a chance of being bent. The way I ship now there's no way the comics can get damaged unless the postal truck runs over the package.

Peace,

Chip

Agreed if you're running that many auctions a week. I do it as spare income and cut my own found cardboard. People really like bubble wrap and mailers it seems, but that won't stop a puncture wound, to which I've had multiple come to my doorstep. I don't use bubble wrap or anything more than well packaged cardboard, tape, and a Manila envelope, but almost all my sales are under $50.

You're good, bud. I know where you're coming from. :)

That being said, I run anywhere from 250-450 auctions a week. I do this as my only source of income, and while it would seem like I have all the time in the world, cutting up cardboard and buying 100 padded envelopes isn't the same as having Priority supplies delivered right to my door for free.

My business is growing every week and I now have quite a few followers of my eBay auctions. I was only singling out those McSpideys because my customers appreciate the high grade books I offer...yet those sat without bids. It's not my shipping charges.

Peace,

Chip

Those asm's dont sell the first time around, buyitnow's for those and they might sell the 2nd or 3rd week. If you have a uline warehouse in your area, go there for your stuff. If no uline, find another company. If you are going to grow your ebay business, this stuff will be essential. Buy it in bulk and you can pass on the savings to your customers in the form of shipping. $6.50 for 1 book is kinda high but if you can get away with it, cool.

Peace,

Chip

Dont use the bubble envelopes, use regular envelopes.

Peace,

Chip

I don't care if it costs me 20 dollars for a 10 dollar book,please ship books in boxes not envelopes.I won't buy from someone who uses padded mailers.

Peace,

Chip

I don't care if it costs me 20 dollars for a 10 dollar book,please ship books in boxes not envelopes.I won't buy from someone who uses padded mailers.

at a certain point, a box is nice to look at. A protected envelope is good for cheap books.

If you're going to be selling comics as a long term business start buying supplies in bulk. Uline, Bagsunlimited, or even eBay sellers of supplies have super discounts when buying envelopes and boxes in the hundreds.

Back when people still wanted audio CDs I got a great deal from a liquidation and had thousands to sell. I could pay $4 for a five pack of padded envelopes at Walmart or about $25 for a bulk order of two hundred, postage included.