• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on the Evils of Trimming

68 posts in this topic

It's a type of permanent destruction that goes beyond all other damage because it affects every page in the book.

I just think trimming is altering the way the book is supposed to be, I don't like tape either. Plus if you unknowingly buy a trimmed book and go CGC route you end up with a book worth about 25% to 33% of its value.

Case and point just recently happened to me. So you have press and clean fee, tier fee, shipping both ways and paypal fees. Then it comes back plod :makepoint: Ended up selling it to lose @$150. Lucky it was not a real high dollar book to start with

<a  href=006_zpsd8369725.jpg' alt='006_zpsd836972

Part of the book is effing gone. And that improves the grade??

I don't see anyone saying it improves the grade, did I miss something?

No, this is where the discussion starts to get emotional.

Even though nobody is trying to pass off trimming as undisclosed, that is what people are focusing on.

This thread will be rife with 20 pages of comments like 'you are trying to get people to accept trimmed books', 'pretty soon CGC will allow trimming in universal labels' and 'you suck'.

lol

Trimming is evil. Those who trim are evil.

What I would actually do is hammer the hell out of a trimmed book rather than give it a higher apparent grade. The book has lost paper and it was not due to production.

agreed with this sentiment!

I'm much better at spotting a trim than I was 15 years ago (my 20's then), but trimming imo, is one of the cardinal sins of restoration in that it can be very deceptive to potential buyers not 'in the know'.

And sellers suffer as well.. because often they might not detect trim, it is the most difficult form of resto to check for..

its no good for everyone!

This thread will be rife with 20 pages of comments like 'you are trying to get people to accept trimmed books', 'pretty soon CGC will allow trimming in universal labels' and 'you suck'.

lol

That is exactly what I was expecting, but this is an honest attempt to see the POV of others. Most of the books I am interested in I could never justify spending the money on (college fund > FF1), so things like trimming are a way for me to get my hands on 99.5% of that FF1 without spending junior's future. I'm old school (most of my collecting was done in the 70's) and have a lot to catch up on, and this is an area I felt would generate some response.

For the record I never have nor ever will trim a book. Not sure if I ever owned one.

Trimming question: do people use bindery machinery (like a commerical paper cutter) or do they do it by hand?

I just think trimming is altering the way the book is supposed to be, I don't like tape either. Plus if you unknowingly buy a trimmed book and go CGC route you end up with a book worth about 25% to 33% of its value.

Case and point just recently happened to me. So you have press and clean fee, tier fee, shipping both ways and paypal fees. Then it comes back plod :makepoint: Ended up selling it to lose @$150. Lucky it was not a real high dollar book to start with

<a  href=006_zpsd8369725.jpg' alt='006_zpsd836972

That is very sad to me, on that book especially.

lol

That is exactly what I was expecting, but this is an honest attempt to see the POV of others. Most of the books I am interested in I could never justify spending the money on (college fund > FF1), so things like trimming are a way for me to get my hands on 99.5% of that FF1 without spending junior's future. I'm old school (most of my collecting was done in the 70's) and have a lot to catch up on, and this is an area I felt would generate some response.

For the record I never have nor ever will trim a book. Not sure if I ever owned one.

(thumbs u

Trimming question: do people use bindery machinery (like a commerical paper cutter) or do they do it by hand?

If you want to learn how to trim, you'll have to do more than ask how on a public forum.

If you want to learn how to trim, you'll have to do more than ask how on a public forum.

Gah. I don't want to trim. Just wondering if it's done by hand or mechanical means.

Gah. I don't want to trim. Just wondering if it's done by hand or mechanical means.

My guess would be both, everything from x-acto knives on up, depending on what the trimmer has access to.

Worst part about the FF 67 Is I just think it was a bad cut at the printing process the outer edge looks hacked up as well and no mention (shrug)

Yeah, I figured it was the bottom edge - which is weird, because why would you do that if the right edge looks the way it does?

My guess would be both, everything from x-acto knives on up, depending on what the trimmer has access to.

I just bumped another thread and Ze-man lends some explanation to it.

Trimming is evil. Those who trim are evil.

What I would actually do is hammer the hell out of a trimmed book rather than give it a higher apparent grade. The book has lost paper and it was not due to production.

What does "production" have to do with anything anymore? I though that despised 'purist' outlook got tossed out about a decade back? (shrug)

The graded hobby now thrives off post-manipulation "apparent" looks-as-if higher grades, and (your words) it was not due to production.

Locally guy trims and color touches his books.

Its an OCD thing with him I think. However, when he goes to sell or trade his books he does not disclose the trimming or color touches. This causes a problem locally when stores or individuals go to sell the books that he has traded or sold them.

How would you feel if you bought a key book for a decent amount of change. Hold it as an investment for say 5-15 years and then find out its restored. This has happened locally so much that dealers/stores wont even bother to look at a book he brings in now.