• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not All Local Comic Shops are Alike

60 posts in this topic

There's been a lot of comic store bashing in several threads over the last year, and alot of it rightfully so. I've stated several times that when I had a minute, I would take some pics of one of the shops in my area ( there are three ) that I do business with.

I know the owner pretty good, and he runs this place like a top. No wise guy employees, and someone asks you if you need help within a minute of entering the store.

He's always behind the counter usually putting in orders or working on inventory. He's got a pretty good selection of stuff. I've done quite a bit of business there, and also sell books for him from time to time.

This is a great place to just go and sit around and shoot the breeze. He also calls me if anything comes in that I may be interested in. O.K. pics are coming up.

First shop I have ever seen actually use those type of long boxes. How are they with getting out the books?

He's had those up now for about four years. They seem to be holding up o.k. so far.

First shop I have ever seen actually use those type of long boxes. How are they with getting out the books?

if they're the short drawer boxes they are great. If they're the long drawer boxes they suck, especially if they are overstuffed.

Those pictures blow away every shop in and around my town. The one shop doesn't even have a back issue area (well they do but it's 2 short boxes :facepalm:)

I've got that under my bed. :baiting:

if they're the short drawer boxes they are great. If they're the long drawer boxes they suck, especially if they are overstuffed.

they're shorties

He says these things are just flying out the door. I was there today when his delivery came with all of these super hero and movie monster coin banks came in. I should have snapped a pic of Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wolfman, and Bride of Frankenstein.

tenthplanetcap27004.jpg

Dr. X what's the name of the store :baiting:? It looks AMAZING and I love that they have seating areas were people can hang out, talk comics and stuff and look through all those bins!

Great looking shop! Would love to have that much room and inventory, but it's very expensive in lower Fairfield County.

Please tell him, as one shop owner to another, I'm very impressed. (thumbs u

Well at one time he was down at the other end of the strip plaza. He bought this shop from the original owners about 14 years ago. He just moved into this larger store down the way a few months ago.

It's taken him many years to build this place up to look like this believe me. I saw it change over the years firsthand.

Lots of those display racks and cases were bought from Barnes & Noble and Borders when they folded up. He was there to pounce on them and they look great in his store.

Dr. X what's the name of the store :baiting:? It looks AMAZING and I love that they have seating areas were people can hang out, talk comics and stuff and look through all those bins!

The name is Tenth Planet Comics in Schererville, Indiana. He'll order you anything you want.